Page 3 of 11
Quote by distilledspirit
^You think Ritchie has an ego? I've never even heard the man talk.

I watched this one show recently (I'm not sure if it was posted on here or not) on YouTube, where he did a gig in Japan, and he somehow forgot Roger Glover's name.

He was like, "Yes, well, in Deep Purple I play with this bassist named... um...", and then you see Ronnie James Dio whisper, "Roger Glover," in his ear.

After you play with a man for so many years, I'd find it hard to accidentally forget his name.
There is no greater heavy metal band than one containing Ronnie James Dio, Ritchie Blackmore and Cozy Powell. Fact.

'Long Live Rock N Roll' is probably one of the best albums in the heavy metal genre.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
rainbow are so damn good. i could listen to blackmore play guitar for hours upon hours. the first album is a classic, the rest are all pretty good too.
Quote by Encore_God
There is no greater heavy metal band than one containing Ronnie James Dio, Ritchie Blackmore and Cozy Powell. Fact.

'Long Live Rock N Roll' is probably one of the best albums in the heavy metal genre.

Yeah, that album awesome.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I watched this one show recently (I'm not sure if it was posted on here or not) on YouTube, where he did a gig in Japan, and he somehow forgot Roger Glover's name.

He was like, "Yes, well, in Deep Purple I play with this bassist named... um...", and then you see Ronnie James Dio whisper, "Roger Glover," in his ear.

After you play with a man for so many years, I'd find it hard to accidentally forget his name.

Thats just his sense of humour, its very dry.
I'm gonna live forever and if I don't suceed i'll die trying.
Originally posted by Liberation
Damn. You win Master Shake. I am not worthy!
Rainbow, huh?

You have a singer so great he was brought in to replace Ozzy, you have an incredibly talented guitarist who created the neo-classical genre on guitar, you have a drummer who was so great, he was the first choice to replace John Bonham, if Zeppelin wanted a replacement, and a bassist (Craig Gruber) who was equally great...

Now thats a band!
Well, those were only some of the members of Rainbow, but I'm fairly certain that Gruber was fired after the first Rainbow album, and Jimmy Bain became the next bassist?

Also, don't forget to mention Tony Carey for this particular line-up.

Rather than Blackmore-Dio-Gruber-Powell, it should have read Bain-Blackmore-Carey-Dio-Powell.
Dare I say, on a good day, Rainbow was sometimes a better band than DP. Ritchie and Glover always have had a love hate relationship. Ritchie kicked RG out of DP in 73 then Gillian followed suit. It was only because when RG produced Rainbows Down to Earth in 79-80 that he was back playing with Ritchie, and Ritchie was reluctant. RB was always a funny dude, and very dry. I think a lot of people didn't like him, because he's too deep and they don't understand his humor and maybe they were a little jealous of Ritchies talent?
I heard the story that Ritchie approached Dio about forming the new band and Dio was reluctant due to loyalties to his mates in Elf. Blackmore agreed to bring the other Elf members into the fold and recorded the first album, then fired all but Dio soon after. Do not know if this is true or not but it is consistent with Rainbows revolving door of band members.
Quote by TwistedLogic
I heard the story that Ritchie approached Dio about forming the new band and Dio was reluctant due to loyalties to his mates in Elf. Blackmore agreed to bring the other Elf members into the fold and recorded the first album, then fired all but Dio soon after. Do not know if this is true or not but it is consistent with Rainbows revolving door of band members.

If its true, then that was lame...
Quote by TwistedLogic

I don't belive so.

Ritchie did fire everyone on the Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow CD after it was recorded (except Dio), but I don't believe that anyone from that original band was in Elf.

It's possible I'm mistaken, however, as I do not listen to Elf.
Oh my god!! I've been away from UG for a couple of days and when I return the Rainbow thread is waken up again

Well, anyway, Blackmore took all the members from Elf (except the guitarist of course) to record the first selftitled album. Then all members where fired except Dio.
Quote by bodyheatseeker
Pay heed to this man, because he speaks the truth.
I heard that there was a book out about the history of Rainbow. Does anyone else have any interesting stories about the man in black. For all his greatness as a player I have read that he is not the nicest person who is proned to tempor tamtrams. That could partly explain the many line up changes in the band.
On a side note; when Rainbow and the Scorpions were on tour in 1982 they had a habit of playing soccer matches before some shows, as was the case here in Montreal.
^^ And may I ask how the games turned out?
Quote by bodyheatseeker
I do not recall any particular score just that they had played on a near by soccer field.
Quote by Danne55
Oh my god!! I've been away from UG for a couple of days and when I return the Rainbow thread is waken up again

Well, anyway, Blackmore took all the members from Elf (except the guitarist of course) to record the first selftitled album. Then all members where fired except Dio.

Okay, I was wrong.
Actually all members from Elf werent fired Mickey Lee Soule actually quit (probably cause he knew he was about to get the boot)

Quote by TwistedLogic
I heard that there was a book out about the history of Rainbow. Does anyone else have any interesting stories about the man in black. For all his greatness as a player I have read that he is not the nicest person who is proned to tempor tamtrams. That could partly explain the many line up changes in the band.

I have Rainbow English Castle Magic if thats what you are talking about but its not so much a history it goes through the albums and songs and tells stories along the way. He always did lots of pranks It does go through why people apparently left and the break up of Rainbow to go back to Deep Purple?
Quote by TheHeartbreaker

Well, in his defense, I've forgotten the names of some of my closest friends who I've been friends with for over ten years. There'll be times where I'm sitting right there, talking to them, and I'll say, "Hey(weird silence), bro, (insert rest of sentence) using man because I can't remember his name. So, I could probably easily forget the name of someone in my band if I was asked and couldn't bring it out.
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
I'm sure you don't see your friends most of the day almost every day, though (I could be wrong, of course ).

Ritchie was with his band members a lot - in the studio, but mostly in hotels, restuarants, on stage, and mostly in their tour bus or airplane or whatever they used.

In fact, these guys were with each other so they became sick of one another.

I'd find it hard to forget one another's names.
Last edited by TheHeartbreaker at Nov 30, 2006,
Quote by TwistedLogic
I do not recall any particular score just that they had played on a near by soccer field.

ok... for some reason I got an image in my head where there where shooting the ball across the stage
Quote by bodyheatseeker
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I'm sure you don't see your friends most of the day almost every day, though (I could be wrong, of course :p.

Ritchie was with his band members a lot - in the studio, but mostly in hotels, restuarants, on stage, and mostly in their tour bus or airplane or whatever they used.

In fact, these guys were with each other so they became sick of one another.

I'd find it hard to forget one another's names.

Back when I played football in high school, I would occasionally forget the names of guys who I saw all day through school, then would spend two-three hours with out on a practice field. That's about 10+ hours together, five days a week(not including the time we spent together practicing in the summer)(not as much time as Ritchie spent with his band members, but still, a lot of time with them), and there would be times when I would look at one of them, and the name just wouldn't be there. I remember one time, a teacher asked me who would be starting at left guard(the position right next to me) and I just looked at the teacher but couldn't come up with the guys name. I'm not saying that he shouldn't remember their names, but sometimes your brain just doesn't want to work correctly and you have a "brainfart", and so, he may not be egotistical, it might have just slipped his mind at the time.
Stevie Y of the GO WINGS club. PM me with a title to join.

The following statement is false. The preceding statement is true.

Member #20 of the "Use Your Fucking Dictionary Club." PM Dæmönika to join.
It probably just was a little blackout. Nothing special.
I think I'll buy Rising.
wow! it's good to see alot of cool people into Blackmore and Rainbow.

the band Elf were actually from a small town about about 30 miles from where i live.
there was a small music store that had a room upstairs where suposedly Rainbow rehearsed before recording the first album. i can remember seeing Gary Driscoll and Craig Gruber playing in bands in local clubs after they split with Rainbow. unfortunately , Gary Driscoll was murdered several years ago , i believe in 1987. i think the Ronnie Dio , Blackmore combination was great because of the songwriting. definately a special time in music for me.

by the way i thought "Stranger in us all" was a really good CD , i don't think it got much attention here in the US.
I've acctually just heard one song by Elf - "Hoochie Koochie Lady" - and it sounds really differnet from what Dio has done afterwards.

On the name-forgetting-subject: I believe Blackmore just got a blackout, it happens most people all the time
Quote by bodyheatseeker
Quote by Danne55
I've acctually just heard one song by Elf - "Hoochie Koochie Lady" - and it sounds really differnet from what Dio has done afterwards.

On the name-forgetting-subject: I believe Blackmore just got a blackout, it happens most people all the time

Listen to Ronnie and the Rockets (I think) which were a band he started in 1959 (according to a website I can't remember.) It's like Buddy Holly.
^Its Ronnie and the Red Caps (58) but there is also Ronnie and the Prophets (61) ??

There is a website called Dio: The early years where you can listen to all of his previous and well, early years

http://www.dimwhit.com/dio/

there some bootlegs on there too. (like war pigs, behind blue eyes and aqualung)

I think my favs are Amber Velvet and shes not the same.
Wow..some of the cover-songs are awesome. Nice to see he has some good influences.
I recently got their debut album, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, for Christmas.

All I have to say is, "Wow... great music." Personally, my favorite song is the last on the album, entitled, "Still I'm Sad".

I understand that sales of this album weren't too great, and for that reason Ritchie fired everyone from the band except himself (obviously) and Ronnie James Dio.

Does anyone know exactly why this album didn't sell to well, or was there simply another reason why Ritchie fired everyone?

I mean, it's unknown now what other music this line-up could have produced, and I'm not entirely complaining about the fact that different musicians were brought in (because every Rainbow album I've listened to after this one has been amazing, too), but I'm just curious as to why Ritchie has these original members kicked out.
Do not know about the album sales but from what I gather Ritchie intended on firing the other band members from the get go. He wanted Dio and had to agree to allow the other members of his band elf to make up the rest of Rainbow.

Why poor album sales. Maybe people did not get what they were doing musically. It was kind of a prog metal /rock thing possibly a little a head of its time. Maybe others said Ritchie without Purple would be garbage and did not buy it.

Still I am sad is an awesome song. Remake of a cream song I think, not sure. I love the live version from On Stage. It just blows me away, especially Dio's vocals; just brilliant.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
The Yardbirds had a song called Still I'm Sad, but the two aren't related.

I could be wrong, but I thought I remember Paul Samwell-Smith and Jim McCarthy of the Yardbirds on the Rainbow album jacket as the writers of Still I'm Sad.
Hey im really getting into Ritchies Blackmores soloing style. Does anyone know what scales Ritchie used in his Deep Purple and Rainbow days?
Thanks
"An eye for an eye, makes the whole world blind"- Mahatma Ghandi
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
The Yardbirds had a song called Still I'm Sad, but the two aren't related.

Thanks for clearing up the reason for the band being fired.

Rainbow released another version in '93 (or thereabouts.) It's not half bad.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I recently got their debut album, Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow, for Christmas.

All I have to say is, "Wow... great music." Personally, my favorite song is the last on the album, entitled, "Still I'm Sad".

I understand that sales of this album weren't too great, and for that reason Ritchie fired everyone from the band except himself (obviously) and Ronnie James Dio.

Does anyone know exactly why this album didn't sell to well, or was there simply another reason why Ritchie fired everyone?

I mean, it's unknown now what other music this line-up could have produced, and I'm not entirely complaining about the fact that different musicians were brought in (because every Rainbow album I've listened to after this one has been amazing, too), but I'm just curious as to why Ritchie has these original members kicked out.

Ritchie didnt keep the original members plainly for the fact that he wanted people with a little more skill (he chose nicer words) then he brought in Cozy Powell and then struggled finding the perfect musicians but I guess by doing that the project was always kept fresh with out loosing it sound, all up I think there were over 20 different members with only 8 studio releases. Also no line up was kept for more than 1 release
Sales werent the best but it got up pretty high in some charts, Blackmore was included in the band name for that release to try and boost the sales. I guess Blackmore has never been that popular either. Rising in the long run did a lot better though.

I like Still I'm Sad live best and yes it is credited to the Yardbirds (if you listen to it live it contains the lyrics)

Quote by Dog Eat Dog
Hey im really getting into Ritchies Blackmores soloing style. Does anyone know what scales Ritchie used in his Deep Purple and Rainbow days?
Thanks

He is a big fan of the minor scales but he also used oriental (like the Turkish scale on Gates of Babylon and half used on Stargazer) he also used Modes (there his most popular I guess)

Also a bit random but his guitar tech of those days is custom building me the MTC used in his guitar, I'm so excited I cant wait!!!
Last edited by Master Shake at Jan 8, 2007,
Quote by lexhibit
I could be wrong, but I thought I remember Paul Samwell-Smith and Jim McCarthy of the Yardbirds on the Rainbow album jacket as the writers of Still I'm Sad.

Sorry, I'm wrong. They have the same lyrics, but musically, though it's been a long time since I've listened to The Yardbird's version, they are easy to tell apart.

I could be wrong with that, too, though, because, as I said, I haven't listened to The Yardbird's version for probably well over a year.
The Yardbirds, knew I was off with thinking Still I'm said was cream. I have not heard the album version recorded by Rainbow in a long time but if I recall it was instrumental? Fav song from the debut is catch the Rainbow. I do not really like the album largely because I feel the production values and sound quality are lacking. Might also have something to do with the "skill" level of the other band members. Nice way of saying hacks. But most people are hacks compared to Blackmore. All jokes aside I really feel production was not up to par.

The use of minor scales makes sense and would be compatible with Blackmore's neoclassical style. His stuff with Purple and Dio era Rainbow was somewhat brooding (Child in Time, Stargazer, The Shed: Subtle, L.A. Connection), making minor scales sound good if that makes sense.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Sorry, I'm wrong. They have the same lyrics, but musically, though it's been a long time since I've listened to The Yardbird's version, they are easy to tell apart.

I could be wrong with that, too, though, because, as I said, I haven't listened to The Yardbird's version for probably well over a year.

I like the Rainbow version way better. The ultimate version of Still I'm Sad is the live 11 minute version from "On Stage".
Quote by TwistedLogic
The Yardbirds, knew I was off with thinking Still I'm said was cream. I have not heard the album version recorded by Rainbow in a long time but if I recall it was instrumental? Fav song from the debut is catch the Rainbow. I do not really like the album largely because I feel the production values and sound quality are lacking. Might also have something to do with the "skill" level of the other band members. Nice way of saying hacks. But most people are hacks compared to Blackmore. All jokes aside I really feel production was not up to par.

The use of minor scales makes sense and would be compatible with Blackmore's neoclassical style. His stuff with Purple and Dio era Rainbow was somewhat brooding (Child in Time, Stargazer, The Shed: Subtle, L.A. Connection), making minor scales sound good if that makes sense.

I believe that the lyrics are borrowed from the remake, because the version from Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow is instrumental.

I even looked up Rainbow lyrics for Still I'm Sad, because I knew it was an instrumental, and not only did I get lyrics, but they were also they same as the version by The Yardbirds.

So... basically I'm confused.