Page 1 of 3
slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
I'm a big fan of Joe Satriani and listen to his music more than any other artist in my playlist.

I've noticed on here a few comments sayignt that Satch gets lamer every album and genrally (from my experience) he doesn't seem to be as popular on here as i thought he would be.

Anyway, i have 7 of his albums-

Surfing with the Alien
Dreaming #11
The Extremist
The Beautiful guitar
Strange beautifull music
Is there love in space and Super Colossal.

Two things,

Are there any albums that i haven't got that are really good and i should get?

and, do you think Satch has gone downhill since the Extremist?
Need.New.Sig.
PooKoo
UG Spammer
662 IQ
i think satch has always been great, but nothing spectacular. Personally, i think supercollosal is pretty damn good, and his techniques as good as ever (as he proved 2 nights ago).

Some of his older stuff was definantly more shreddy, but some of it is just meh. Don't have enough of his cds to judge him really,but from what i've heard, i like it all.
priest.fan.
UG Monkey
394 IQ
in your sig, it should be spelled "elitist" lol

anyways, I like satch in general, and I haven't noticed him going downhill at all.
splice
crank that jessie jackson
175 IQ
i love satch.....hes one of my favorite guitarists
im in his fan club too

i listen to surfing with the alien album all the time these days....
guywithaguitar1
Ghost of Christmas Thrash
65 IQ
I like a few of his songs

Crushing Day
Satch Boogie
Big Bad Moon
My Rig

Jackson DKMG Dinky
Yamaha Eg 112
Strella acoustic
Dunlop Craybaby
Electro Harmonix big Muff
Crate GX 130C
SuburbanCowboy
Hear My Train A Comin'
2,782 IQ
I prefer his more mellow stuff. Just Look Up is probably my favorite song. He tends to lose my interest when he starts playing fast, with the exception of his tapping which I think is top-notch.
Witch-king
Dio
790 IQ
From what I've seen, he's really popular here. I only have two of his albums, swta and the extremist and I love them both.

449 IQ
I don't think he went downhill... I just don't think he was ever on the hill.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Midnight 260
Ug Shredda Wanna Be
197 IQ
on the cover of guitar world he looks just like ben stiller...
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:
Broken Dreams, crushed oppurtinitues, and an old condom.

Quote by PooKoo
well, we are pricks, but were arrogant, not ignorant.
splice
crank that jessie jackson
175 IQ
now that i think about it yeah he does resemble ben stiller....haha i aint never thought of that
JkHalen
175 IQ
my thoughts on satch..he should regrow his hair
Quote by metalmonsterr
The first time i heard about Granny Sluts 16 on DVD i was like OMG AWESOME.I feel like they made it just for me, then after i saw it the black granny at the end just makes me feel really awkward and depressed
R0CKER1220
UG Addict
523 IQ
I'm a relitively new fan of his, but i'm going to go to his concert this saturday! it's gonna be great especially when he does Crowd Chant

EDIT: i told that to my band director at school and he let me borrow a Guitar Player magazine featuring Satch, he has a whole stack of those magazines! it's awesome
apocalypse13
<3 Nile and Marty
686 IQ
Satch is and always has been pretty sweet IMO.
Quote by hepzibahbaptist
Yeah listen to Apoc. He knows what he's talking about.

Quote by hepzibahbaptist
I figured you were going to sig that. And this if you have any sense of humor what so ever.

Founder of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM me or altronataku to join
Night_Lights
I've been here too long
863 IQ
i like him far more than any other shredder. super colossal is amazing.

but i dont like surfing with the alien as much as sc or extremist.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,196 IQ
Ah, never too many satch threads.

Satch is definitely my favorite guitar player, hands down. I have every one of his albums, except for Engines of Creation, which I've heard most of anyway (one of my favorite songs, Until We Say Goodbye, is on it).

I don't think he's getting lamer as he goes on, he's still amazing as far as I'm concerned. I have a favorite song or two from every album.

But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
Drop-A
Banned
140 IQ
His new album kicks ass, i dont think he'll ever match crystal planet though.
PooKoo
UG Spammer
662 IQ
Quote by Dreadnought
Ah, never too many satch threads.

Satch is definitely my favorite guitar player, hands down. I have every one of his albums, except for Engines of Creation, which I've heard most of anyway (one of my favorite songs, Until We Say Goodbye, is on it).

I don't think he's getting lamer as he goes on, he's still amazing as far as I'm concerned. I have a favorite song or two from every album.

you going to see him?
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,196 IQ
Quote by PooKoo
you going to see him?

Already have
But we little know until tried how much of the uncontrollable there is in us, urging across glaciers and torrents, and up dangerous heights, let the judgment forbid as it may.
mdude
.TynGent mm
398 IQ
Engines of Creation. Try this album
"Music is essentially useless, as life is"

Jackson DKMG
Roland Cube60
POD xt live
thats it
mr_clapton
Its JIMI!
517 IQ
^i had that album but then took it back cause it can only be played on some kind of super CD player
Originally posted by dave_c2k2
Just shout really loud...

"Mother where is the carving knife i want to put my HAPPY face on!"
~1954~
UG's guitar ninja
47 IQ
Flying in a blue dream is quite good too. I think it may have been aimed more at a non-guitarist audience, although personally i dont his singing voice so i dont like some of the more vocal songs on the album. but theres plenty of shred action on this album for guitarists though.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Well, Satriani is okay. I mean, I can listen few songs of him, but then it gets boring. Satch's music has never been very interesting to me.
Dreadnought
Oceanic Mountainman
5,196 IQ
Quote by R0CKER1220
^ i'm pretty sure i heard you live in Florida, you going to Mizner this Saturday?

Nah, not this time. Too busy really
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
I cant listen to his stuff for TOO long--gets a little repetitive--but he's pretty much nailed the formula for catchy, accessible instrumentals--His bluesy licks get a little tiresome but at the end of the day, his legato playing is perhaps the most fluid ive ever heard--Holdsworth has the edge maybe...--and Surfing with the Alien pretty much changed my approach to the guitar.
Thank God im an atheist
flyingdutchman
21 IQ
you should chek out crystal planet, not of this earth and the album joe satriani too
"Don't play what's there; play what's NOT there" - Miles Davis
Prophet of Page
258 IQ
I find Satch dull for the most part. That said, there is some good stuff on Crystal Planet and on Flying In A Blue Dream
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Erich yeung
UG's China Man
508 IQ
Satch actually is pretty popular here. Its only the dickhead elitist regs, that really dislike him. It seems one has already posted and his opinion is clear . Hey but if they feel that way I'm not trying to change their minds. Just sayin' is all. Anyways Satch is legato lines are pretty cool, but its not his technique that makes him great. It his ability to match his guitar melodies to vocal lines. The reason his songs are SO catchy is simply because his phrasing is excellent. The his melodies, they're like vocal lines.
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
Quote by wil
I cant listen to his stuff for TOO long--gets a little repetitive--but he's pretty much nailed the formula for catchy, accessible instrumentals--His bluesy licks get a little tiresome but at the end of the day, his legato playing is perhaps the most fluid ive ever heard--Holdsworth has the edge maybe...--and Surfing with the Alien pretty much changed my approach to the guitar.

Repetitive?

I think Satch is one of the most origanal and creative thinkers out there, the range of musical variety he crams into his records is fantastic.

i can't see how anyone could find him repetitive, i'm not syaing your worng or anything, but repetitive-ness is the one thing i wouldn't associate with Satch(opk, there are many things i wouldn't associate with Satch, but still).
Need.New.Sig.
el57
sometimes... nevermind
216 IQ
I saw him at Mizner down here in Florida yesterday. Kick ass concert I might add. A Cool New Way was my favorite song on there and it made me go buy the Super Colassal yesterday which is a really good cd.
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
I still think he has it, I still haven't gotten Super Colassal yet though, so I can't judge anyhtinging on that CD, but everything so far I've liked.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

bucky_2300
Onward!
1,344 IQ
I just have Super Colossal - it's really damn good. I'll probably buy The Extremist and Is There Love In Space next. Satch is great, I really like him.
no
R0CKER1220
UG Addict
523 IQ
Quote by el57
I saw him at Mizner down here in Florida yesterday. Kick ass concert I might add. A Cool New Way was my favorite song on there and it made me go buy the Super Colassal yesterday which is a really good cd.

**** dude, you serious? i was there!
slash_620
Drivin' at night
579 IQ
Quote by bucky_2300
I just have Super Colossal - it's really damn good. I'll probably buy The Extremist and Is There Love In Space next. Satch is great, I really like him.

What albums do you have already?

Unless you've got most of his stuff i wouldn't reccomend getting ITLIS, i think it's probably his poorest album, defitnely of the 6 i have.

There's one great song, two average ones, and the rest is kind of meh.
Need.New.Sig.
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
Satriani is at least being this normal guy that lives across the street. He just does what he wants and that's why he's still around. HE almost never pushes it too the limits technical-wise but his melodies are stil heard by modern players and he just got that attitude and it's excellent car driving music. sometimes less is good and his stuff is good.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
mr_clapton
Its JIMI!
517 IQ
i like is there loves in space....and i have the extremist, flying in a blue dream and crystal planet
Originally posted by dave_c2k2
Just shout really loud...

"Mother where is the carving knife i want to put my HAPPY face on!"
Righteous
Hippyesque
23 IQ
Yeah, I agree with xxdarrenxx with most everything there, especially his music being great car music, which it is.
I have nothing to put in here.
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
The Extremist is my favorite album of his, with Engines of Creation probably coming second. The arpeggio theme in The Power Cosmic pt. 1 & 2 is one of my favorite themes from any song...ever.

I kind of got tired of him for a while, but I'm back in the Satch fanclub once again. The songs I've heard from Super Colossal were a definite improvement from the songs on ITLIS imo.

Over the years I don't think he's done anything incredible per se, at least technically, but he definitely brought instrumental rock more to the forefront than it had been before, and he's been a favorite of mine for a long time.
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
wil
..but Teles are better
208 IQ
Quote by slash_620
Repetitive?

I think Satch is one of the most origanal and creative thinkers out there, the range of musical variety he crams into his records is fantastic.

i can't see how anyone could find him repetitive, i'm not syaing your worng or anything, but repetitive-ness is the one thing i wouldn't associate with Satch(opk, there are many things i wouldn't associate with Satch, but still).

Maybe that came across wrong, i know he continues to diversify sounds and techniques progressively over his career, i just find some of his improv a tad repetitive---he oftens reverts to bluesy licks which can---im not saying always,---sound a little dull--His legato is unbelievable though...Im also not a massive fan of his screaming whammy bar antics-you know, hits harmonic, raises the pitch by three tones and pulls or a or a face while doing it-
That said, his melody, riffs and overall song structures MORE than make up for these little discrepancies.

Please re-read my post, I said Surfing with the Alien changed the way i play guitar--enough said really--if it werent for that album id still be playing zEPPelin and pAntera and thinking it was like, really technical...
Thank God im an atheist