Jono45
UG Newbie
283 IQ
This is a great song,

and ive just begun learning it to improve fingerpicking. i know the tab etc and very familiar with the song, but does anyone know how to improve barre chords, im having big trouble.

thanks alot for your help,
and if anyones interseted post some good intermediate songs.
BrokenKaraoke
Bad Mutha SHUTCHO MOUF!
10 IQ
Im also learning barre cords and most of the advice I get is practice, practice, and practice. It takes alot of hand strenght to master it, so all you can really do is just practice and build up the strength/endurance in your hands to do it. Try to go out and get some finger strengtheners (i dont know exactly what theyre called). You can find them at just about any guitar store. I know guitar center has them.
BrokenKaraoke
-----
Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.
Jono45
UG Newbie
283 IQ
thanks alot, great advice man. i think i knwo what you mean ive seen them around
psytox
614 IQ
The title shouldnt be nothing else matters... anyway, for me i usually bar my index a little to the left instead of just goin straight to parallel to the string, roll ur index finger a little to the left...
abnormel
Banned
1,140 IQ
nothing else matters the second best song for learning finger picking IMO
stairway to heaven is the best
I learnt Stairway to Heaven then improved my finger picking by learning Nothing Else Matters

As for the barre chord thing, its a bit like finger picking, after a while you get used to doing it. So keep practicing
Akyo
253 IQ
Am I the only one playing it with a pick?
As for bar chords, they don't require all that much handstrength imo, just a little "endurance" but that comes quickly if you practice. And rotating your index slightly also makes it easier becaus you bar more with your bone that way
clarkson456
UG's Tree Farmer
170 IQ
I think the best song for improving your barre chord technique is Jack Johnson's Inaudible Melodies. It's basically all barre chords, and it's a really cool sounding song to boot.
Quote by doggy_hat
And I can always borrow my friend's urine.

Love is the water of life, drink it with heart and soul---Rumi

----i love to drink----
ask_withnail
fingerstyle junkie
1,187 IQ
Quote by psytox
The title shouldnt be nothing else matters... anyway, for me i usually bar my index a little to the left instead of just goin straight to parallel to the string, roll ur index finger a little to the left...

yep, that's what I do, it takes a little pressure of the thumb.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
Blood0NyourLips
190 IQ
Just a question : I think that songs like NEM and Stairway SHOULD be played fingerstyle, but I am having troubles with the sound of the strings,it's really muffled.I dont want to grow long nails,should I just give up fingerpicking ? Cause I really like it,but,I repeat,the sound is not
appealing.Plus I do all my strumming with a pick.
ace_lester
^_^ \m/
163 IQ
Quote by Akyo
Am I the only one playing it with a pick?
As for bar chords, they don't require all that much handstrength imo, just a little "endurance" but that comes quickly if you practice. And rotating your index slightly also makes it easier becaus you bar more with your bone that way

no your not the only one..i play stairway to heaven using a pick..
and i really think using a pick is easier than finger picking..

thread starter..i dont know if this tip is helpful..
just try to use and F chord all around your guitar..
random frets..so that your index finger will gain strength and
your other fingers will be more precise when positioned..

that helped me a lot..hope it does for you..
aCe

ace_lester
^_^ \m/
163 IQ
Quote by Blood0NyourLips
Just a question : I think that songs like NEM and Stairway SHOULD be played fingerstyle, but I am having troubles with the sound of the strings,it's really muffled.I dont want to grow long nails,should I just give up fingerpicking ? Cause I really like it,but,I repeat,the sound is not
appealing.Plus I do all my strumming with a pick.

my pick is my bestfriend.. =)
aCe

axe_grinder247
UG's Shredder in Training
198 IQ
i actually flatpick nothing else matters so that when you strum the barre chords you can add a little more power into them...plus, i can switch right into the solo afterward
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
AWACS
I want all of the things
6,888 IQ
Can a mod lock this thread? The guy just necro-bumped a 6 year old thread.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame