Page 1 of 2
somepunkkid
I Ejaculate Fire
880 IQ
So my teacher assigned me a project to write a paper about an "Anti-establishment/Anti-war" song from the sixties, the only problem is that most of that shit went down in the 70s. i mean sure theres plenty of stuff from the hippie bands but i want something more "in your face" if you know what i mean. So my question is, do any of you know any punk esque bands from the 60's?
De-De-Dee
UG's Stanky Britches
25 IQ
hmm....were the sex pistols or misfits around that time
De-De-Dee
UG's Stanky Britches
25 IQ
oh nevermind then dude....sorry but i can't help ya i'd just tell your teacher to lick his crack on that one
Iluvpowerchords
Flau-BEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR
1,364 IQ
MC5, Very Late 60's but definetly political (White Panthers)

Kick out The Jams was a fairly controversial album.

Or you could various garage rock bands like the Sonics, although the sonics weren't really anti-anything with their songs.
Last edited by Iluvpowerchords at Apr 23, 2006,
hardrock1315
Thought @ Work
3,512 IQ
Don't listen to De-De-Dee, because he himself is a De-De-Dee.

Iggy & the Stooges and the MC5 were around in the 60's. \

You should probably use some hippy-type stuff too, that has plenty of "Anti-establishment/Anti-war" stuff. Try psyschedelic rock and folk for your best bet.
De-De-Dee
UG's Stanky Britches
25 IQ
Don't listen to De-De-Dee, because he himself is a De-De-Dee.
QUOTE]
LOL why do u think my name is De-De-Dee.....besides i'm not too good with punk my music starts from the 70's dude. so don't get your panty's in a bunch
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
^

not true.

There were tons of "punk" bands in the 60's. That's what they called it on the Nuggets compilation.

DIY spirit was even around then too with bands like the Kingsmen releasing their own records and bands like MC5 were extremely political.

Research all the bands you can on Nuggets... especially the Sonics, the Kingsmen, the Count Five and ? and the Mysterians
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!
885 IQ
The Monks sounded good, and they seemed to be quite political.
Chrome Fiction
11 IQ
punk didn't start until the 70's. so you probably won't find much from the 60's...
CowsWithGuns
God's gift to UG
395 IQ
^ No, it just wasn't called that until the late 70's.

EDIT: How about some of Patti Smith's work?
Minister of n00b harassing of the Punk and Ska fourm.
Quote by capsfan17, ss311, newyorkdolls138, somepunkkid, johnnynemo, axeslash, BrianApocalypse, mike2, dookie dude, lavazza and pinheadslts75
Thank God for CowsWithGuns

Quote by MattTheArsonist
Cowswithguns is my forum hero.

Quote by UraniYum
Cowswithguns is some kind of god on earth.

Love is never having to say your safeword.
capsfan17
Huzzah!
150 IQ
green day
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
JohnnyNapalm
UG Board King
1,727 IQ

Listen to Zack.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
LoudnSnotty138
Book Attack!
472 IQ
Quote by De-De-Dee
hmm....were the sex pistols or misfits around that time

Im gonna slap you.
waterproofpie
breakfast connoisseur
2,962 IQ
Quote by De-De-Dee
hmm....was TOM JONES around that time

EDIT: So this isn't spam...
go with MC5.
I saw a movie on one of the Demand channels on digital cable that showed the history of MC5, with reenacted rallies and their personal lives, and a bunch of cool stuff.
Too bad I forgot the name.
The movie was pretty good
whyvern
jet skis on the reg
3,296 IQ
Quote by waterproofpie

EDIT: So this isn't spam...
go with MC5.
I saw a movie on one of the Demand channels on digital cable that showed the history of MC5, with reenacted rallies and their personal lives, and a bunch of cool stuff.
Too bad I forgot the name.
The movie was pretty good

you'd best start rememberin' because I'd like to see that... and I can't afford digital cable.
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Rock1986
Kill Em All
235 IQ
See if you could slip War Pigs by Sabbath in there, that was pretty hardcore
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
ScummerVacation
Foghorn Leghorn
18 IQ
Quote by Rock1986
See if you could slip War Pigs by Sabbath in there, that was pretty hardcore

What in the red and yellow firey blazes does that have to do with anything that we are talking about. Jesus, Christ!

Anyhow, I'd say Eve Of Destruction is pretty close, but it's not quite up there at the punk level, not even close to the punk-ish level, but still... I mean, come on, its friggin the Byrds.
SIZE]
Last edited by ScummerVacation at Apr 23, 2006,
the glue man
beep
649 IQ
The Velvet Underground & The Stooges were kind of against big corprate record labels. They got on smaller ones, even though they sold barely any records.
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage
1,113 IQ
The MC5, The Stooges, The Sonics, The Velvet Underground and believe or not, The Doors were a large influence on punk music.
Rock1986
Kill Em All
235 IQ
Quote by ScummerVacation
What in the red and yellow firey blazes does that have to do with anything that we are talking about. Jesus, Christ!

Anyhow, I'd say Eve Of Destruction is pretty close, but it's not quite up there at the punk level, not even close to the punk-ish level, but still... I mean, come on, its friggin the Byrds.

It was an anti war song f*** stick, which is what he was asking for, are you are your period or are you jutst a F***ing idiot
how are you gonna come
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage
1,113 IQ
Quote by Rock1986
It was an anti war song f*** stick, which is what he was asking for, are you are your period or are you jutst a F***ing idiot

He was asking for punk from the 60's, and Black Sabbath (although quite awesome) is not punk, and War Pigs came out in the 1970's.
AdayTripper
Banned
374 IQ
Yes The Doors are good, big influence on punk. So try The Unknown Soldier.
Revolution from The Beatles is good too.
AdayTripper
Banned
374 IQ
Quote by somepunkkid
well i ended up going with Country Joe so there was really no point in this thread

Good choice.
Rock1986
Kill Em All
235 IQ
Quote by pinheadslts75
He was asking for punk from the 60's, and Black Sabbath (although quite awesome) is not punk, and War Pigs came out in the 1970's.

Yeah, I just read the part where he said that he was looking for protest songs, an that was the first thing to come to mind, and normally I don't rect like that, but he started it

EDIT: oh yeah and War Pigs came out in 70, so I figure it was close enough, ya know
how are you gonna come
Last edited by Rock1986 at Apr 24, 2006,
radio_schizo
don't look now
2,833 IQ
Try The Monks. Here's a thread I made about them the other day with some info and mp3s: http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348970

Oh yeah and The Trashmen aswell, the song Surfin' Bird is pretty damn punk

Also I'd say that british invasion bands like The Who, Yardbirds and The Kinks to some extent released some pretty punkish songs.
Last edited by radio_schizo at Apr 24, 2006,
AmIEvil?
674 IQ
i think mott the hoople and new york dolls had some stuff out in the 60's.. they're kind of punk
ScummerVacation
Foghorn Leghorn
18 IQ
Quote by Rock1986

I am deep inside your brain now, you have opened your cognative identity up to me. I know you. I understand you. It makes sense now, you are free to go.
SIZE]
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
Don't forget....

Arthur Lee and LOVE
Chocolate Watchband
13th Floor Elevators

and of course, Shatner and Nimoy from Star Trek.

skiracer271
Got No Class
50 IQ
I was gonna say the elevators like nemo but he stole it from me. The song thru the rythem is very anti establishment.

And "spaced out" sounds like a trippy album.
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
^Hahahaha.
Since I used to hang out at a record store owned by a man who was a fanatic for Roky Erickson and was gonna name his store 'The 13th Floor Elevator', except he didn't think anyone would get the reference, I don't think you can accuse me of stealing anything from you.

In truth, I was sorta posting for skiracer, because I wasn't sure if he'd write in this thread.
Most people don't know this but........skiracer's parents kicked him out after he got busted for smoking banana peels at school and he sleeps in a dumpster now.
He told me that he has been listening to Fallout Boy to deal with his pain.
ss311
Bertrand Russell
4,096 IQ
Stupid parent, banana peels are a constructive thing to smoke.
bassmo_part2
UG Freak
238 IQ
Black Sabbath - War Pigs
"Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" ~ Frank Zappa
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
Quote by ss311
Stupid parent, banana peels are a constructive thing to smoke.

I was just kidding.

He didn't smoke banan peels, his parents didn't kick him out and he doesn't sleep in a dumpster or listen to Fallout Boy.
misfitsdisciple
Punk Rocker
862 IQ
not a punk band, but they are from the 60s...

Janis Joplin and the Holding Company... Cheap Trick was there most known album... my uncle was one of the guitar players
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.