Page 1 of 2
ledmik
GOTH KILLA
166 IQ
The clash are a really good band. what are your favourite songs by them?
High_o
Doctor Worm
176 IQ
remote control is pretty good, along with basically anything off thier first album
Cal UK
Viktor Vaughn
740 IQ
Londons Calling only song ive heard by em but I loved it
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Cub
worst person on UG
56 IQ
the clash have a lot of cool songs. their first albums pretty solid, the only song i don't like is protex blue, give em enough rope is pretty kick arse too.
are there any horse socks? is anyone listening to me?
ClashCR46
107 IQ
White Riot would be a solid choice, but then so would everything else they did - excluding Cut The Crap which was awful and cant be put down to the clash cos two of the funding members had been sacked (not including the first drumer)!
GreenDayChris
UG's Orgasm Addict
808 IQ
Owt off their first album is bloody good. Actually most their stuff is bloody good.
My faves: Janie Jones, Safe European Home and Magnificent Seven off the top of me head.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
chow7
79 IQ
i'd say Complete Control, Safe European Home, pretty much any song except for from Cut the Crap and some songs on Sandista
rockeroller
35 IQ
my favorites are lover's rock and almost every song on their debut.

also i think that the clampdown is one of the greatest songs, not because of amazing skill, but it sounds amazing. wow im tired and not good at 'splainin. sorry.
Last edited by rockeroller at Apr 26, 2006,
johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
One thing I that's really cool about early Clash lyrics, is that they hid words in some of the songs that were references to other things.

At the end of the song "Jail Guitar Doors", you can hear Strummer singing "54/46 was my number/Right now someone else has that number", which are the lyrics to the Toots and The Maytals song "54/46".

In the song"Remote Control" the last verse includes the lines, "Repression ? gonna be a Dalek / Repression ? I am a robot / Repression ? I obey.", which was a reference to the Daleks, a race of killer robots from the TV show Doctor Who (and whose only lines in the early shows were "I am a robot. I obey" and "EX-TER-MIN-ATE", before they killed humans.

If you watch the movie Sid and Nancy, the characters imitating Rotten and Vicious also imitate the Daleks cry of "EX- TER- MIN- ATE!, and since that dialogue was based on actual occurences, many punks were either very into, or very aware of, Doctor Who.

For those unaware, this is what a Dalek looks like.
You can see how George Lucas ripped off Doctor Who for R2D2 (especially if you recall that R2D2 has a retractable "arm" that looks like the Dalek's always protruding arm.

He also ripped off C3P0 from the Cybermen on Doctor Who.
Last edited by johnnynemo at Apr 25, 2006,
opivy21
Aloha! Suit up! Luau!
885 IQ
You sure know your robots Nemo.

I don't listen to the Clash, but I have nothing against them. They're not bad.
Last edited by opivy21 at Apr 25, 2006,
RHCPhysco8
UG's 3rd String QB
478 IQ
Train in Vain is one of my favorite songs of all time.
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
wellthen
registered sex offender
99 IQ
clash city rockers and clampdown are pretty rad
Spaceman_Spiff
aka Spaceman Spliff
560 IQ
You know its a good band when this many people come in and each have different favorite songs
misfitsdisciple
Punk Rocker
862 IQ
too many "THIS BAND ROCKS" threads.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
Stevethegreat
cool
247 IQ
(White Man) In Hammersmith Palais

and for some reason I always liked the xylophone on 'Hitsville U.K.'
Quote by 4e574e57363g
pwnt

Quote by VodkaPunk
Greatest post ever.
Rock1986
Kill Em All
235 IQ
Police and Thieves
Clampdown
Guns of Brixton
Rock the Casbah
Spanish bombs
Gates of the West
Death or Glory
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
capsfan17
Huzzah!
150 IQ
Revolution Rock, Wrong Em Boyo, Death or Glory, Clampdown...
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
ledmik
GOTH KILLA
166 IQ
Clash City Rockers, London Calling, Atom Tan, I'm so Bored with the USA
NOFX_JustinSane
Registered Punk
133 IQ
Safe European Home (Give 'em Enough Rope)
Rudie Cant Fail (London Calling)
Whats My Name (The Clash)
Koka Kola (London Calling)

They are my personal faves, but i cant think of many Clash songs i dont love (excluding Cut The Crap)
Cub
worst person on UG
56 IQ
Quote by DeSean
Brand New Cadylliac
Jimmy Jazz
Come On Eileen

come on eileen?
are there any horse socks? is anyone listening to me?
Wookiedude
Unregistered User
62 IQ
(White Man) in Hammersmith Palais, Listen, Capital Radio Two, Police on My Back, One More Time, Guns of Brixton, and Rudie Can't Fail. Also, I like all the dub mixes on Super Black Market Clash and Sandinista!. Oh yeah, Complete Control has one of the greatest opening riffs of all time.
hardrock1315
Thought @ Work
3,512 IQ
Safe European Home. I think it includes all the best parts of the Clash. There's the verse, which is like the punkier stuff, like the first album. Then there's the chorus that's a little like London Calling, a little more somber. Also, there's that long bridge part that shows that cool reggae part of them.
BrianApocalypse
Prozac Junkie
7,782 IQ
Death or Glory.

As for the daleks, they suck a$$ after their debut.

Pardon me Mr Nemo, but being a Hartnell nerd, I have no choice but to intervene here?

The Daleks had more lines than those single two, although ?Exterminate!? was obviously their bread and butter. Other early Dalek lines include:

(I?ll edit some in tomorrow once I have recapped my memory, but until then ?Silence earthling? and ?you will obey?)

And they didn?t kill any humans in the early shows. They killed a few Thals (the other inhabitants of their home planet Skaro) mind.

I much prefer the first Doctor Who story though, spookily titled ?An unearthly child?. It?s got cavemen in.
Rock1986
Kill Em All
235 IQ
Quote by MAXWELLMURDER
Spanish Bombs

Oh yeah, great song, I'm listening to it right now
When they kick at your front door
how are you gonna come
with your hands on your head
or on the trigger of your gun
whiteriot69
California Uber Alles
12 IQ
police and thieves, londons burning, whiteriot, all the young punks and cheat
*edit* Nevermind, I just looked at your profile, and you're only 11 years old.

johnnynemo
1,245 IQ
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Death or Glory.

As for the daleks, they suck a$$ after their debut.

Pardon me Mr Nemo, but being a Hartnell nerd, I have no choice but to intervene here?

The Daleks had more lines than those single two, although ?Exterminate!? was obviously their bread and butter. Other early Dalek lines include:

(I?ll edit some in tomorrow once I have recapped my memory, but until then ?Silence earthling? and ?you will obey?)

And they didn?t kill any humans in the early shows. They killed a few Thals (the other inhabitants of their home planet Skaro) mind.

I much prefer the first Doctor Who story though, spookily titled ?An unearthly child?. It?s got cavemen in.

I'm glad that someone here watches Doctor Who, no matter how wrong they are about the facts

The Daleks killed lots of people in every episode that they were in, so I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that they didn't.
They were one of the most feared races of killers in the Doctor Who universe, as they saw any "inferior races" as needing to be exterminated.

For the record, in "Genesis of the Daleks", they kill many Thals, Kaleds and Mutos, as they roved through the Thal city killing everything that moved.

In one of the earliest series of episodes, from 1964, namely the Dalek Invasion Of Earth , two of the characters hide from Dalek patrols and overhear many humans being exterminated by Daleks and are later told that many humans were exterminated in the initial invasion.

If you watched the new Doctor Who episode "Dalek", you'll see that they were/are still scary, especially when the solitary Dalek kills over 200 people.

Obviously, the Daleks definitely have more lines than the ones that I mentioned, as you can see in the episode "Genesis of The Daleks", where the Daleks turn on their creator Davros, who, begging for pity, is told that "pity is not in their vocabulary".
I was merely pointing out the ones used in the aforementioned Clash song ( the oft used "I obey")and the "EXT-TER-MIN-ATE !" quoted by Sid and Johnny in the movie "Sid and Nancy".

Perhaps if you put down the bongos and re-watch the episodes, you'll see what I mean.
Joe Publicity
Joe Publicity
616 IQ
'Know your rights' is a cool song infact one of the few good songs on 'Combat rock'. 'Safe European Home','English civil war', 'Guns of Brixton','last Gang in town' are Great. However my ultimate Clash song is 'Complete control'.
Joe/synergy
Police On My back!
211 IQ
Several songs jumped straight to my head initially, but reading through the thread i just get reminded of more!

My faves: Capital Radio, White Man In Hammersmith Palais, Bankrobber, Straight To Hell, Ghetto Defendant, This Is England, Death Or Glory, Clampdown, Remote Control, Complete Control, The Prisoner, Gates Of The West, Safe Eurpean Home..........etc etc etc
TheHeartbreaker
The Pope of Zeppelinism
1,584 IQ
The Clash are one of the few, if not, only, Punk Bands I can really listen to.

I honestly don't have a favorite song by them, but Rock the Casbah, Train In Vain, Jimmy Jazz, Guns of Brixton, and London Calling are some of the songs are enjoy by them.

Great band.
misfitsdisciple
Punk Rocker
862 IQ
haha im so lucky, i went to the only used record store in my town and found two clash albums, Combat Rock, and Black Market Clash. both good albums love em.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I don't want to give myself over to a world of Regina Spektor, Van Gogh posters, and loud conversations about how wasted they got.
ss311
Bertrand Russell
4,096 IQ
I like the Clash but Rock the Casbah was a steaming pile of crap...