Page 1 of 83
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
I got okay from andrewbiles to do this, so this is how it goes:

If you got any questions related to shred techniques (i.e alternate picking, sweep picking, legato, tapping etc.) POST THEM HERE!

This is basically meant to get rid of those "how to start shred" and all the technique question threads popping up.

This thread is also good for shred noobs to gather information about shred techniques, and how to start with correct practice routines and so on.

buckethead>you
Banned
110 IQ
yeah ive been playin about 18 months. started learnin shred about 6 months ago. i can only manage like 10 nps. whenever i go faster than that, its super sloppy. how can i get away from that. flame all you want.
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
Great idea!
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by buckethead>you
yeah ive been playin about 18 months. started learnin shred about 6 months ago. i can only manage like 10 nps. whenever i go faster than that, its super sloppy. how can i get away from that. flame all you want.

It's most likely the lack of practice. You've practised shred only 6 months, don't expect to go fast after so short period of time. It's all about building muscle memory. I suggest to set metronome so slow that you can play every note cleanly. Then start building the speed.
Gman400
UG's most handsome guy
1,619 IQ
Nice thread idea.

Can someone give a good definition of legato? I guess I have the basic idea, I mean I know it means smoothe and you do it using mostly hammerons and slides and stuff, but I need examples and excercises!

Also, I could definately use some tips on practicing shredding. Right now I'm just trying to build as much strength in my fingers and arm as I can with chromatic excercises and permutations all the way up the neck. BTW I've been playing for a little over 2 years and I'm probly the best in my town but I'm still slow for what I should probably be.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by Gman400
Nice thread idea.

Can someone give a good definition of legato? I guess I have the basic idea, I mean I know it means smoothe and you do it using mostly hammerons and slides and stuff, but I need examples and excercises!

Also, I could definately use some tips on practicing shredding. Right now I'm just trying to build as much strength in my fingers and arm as I can with chromatic excercises and permutations all the way up the neck. BTW I've been playing for a little over 2 years and I'm probly the best in my town but I'm still slow for what I should probably be.

If you want a good example of legato, listen the solo for Tender Surrender by Steve Vai. Try learning some licks from there.

You should definitely learn scales and arpeggios. Not just chromatics.

Quote by buckethead>you
thanks, ill do that. btw dude you freakin wail! how long u been playin?

Thanks. I've been playing about 3 years now.
BlackViper
UG Newbie
100 IQ
Right now I can do chromatics at about 5nps what should I do to get faster. Ive been playing for about a year and a half. And what is the first thing I should learn if I want to shred.(Besides alternate picking.)
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
Quote by mortiis999
I can play a chromatic legato run, ascending, in 64ths, dunno what that is in notes per seconds

How many bpm's is it?
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
Quote by Ace88
How does one "economy pick".
Sweeping means using a single picking stroke up or down across two or more strings. It means that when playing, one must make sure that the last note on a string, the pick is poised in the direction of the next string containing the next notes.

Sweeping is a combination of alternate and sweeping techniques. The reason is simple. It is impossible to sweep on one string So, on a single string, one still need to alternate pick.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
Gman400
UG's most handsome guy
1,619 IQ
Quote by Stratwizard
If you want a good example of legato, listen the solo for Tender Surrender by Steve Vai. Try learning some licks from there.

You should definitely learn scales and arpeggios. Not just chromatics.

Thanks I've heard that song before but I'll look into it in detail. Oh and I know some arpeggios and all my modes and stuff so I'm not only practicing chromatics, that's just been what's taking up a lot of my time lately.

In the second paragraph he meant to say "Economy picking." Basically if you do a downstroke on a string, then you go to the string above that one you again use an downstroke, which makes it kinda sweeping. If you end on an upstroke and you go to the string below, you use another upstroke. If you stay on the same string you just alternate.
shredfan
UG Member
111 IQ
Quote by mortiis999
rest of band is at 220 - 245, changes half way through

You reckon you can play 64th notes at that tempo?
Originally posted by raygreendaystud
your a fag, listen to real music like green day, you moron
JkHalen
175 IQ
Well, I'd like to know how can I improve at guitar playing. I consider myself a "kinda regular" here at the shred forums but I'm not THAT great of guitar player myself since I've been playing for just recently, 2 years. I've started to get into shredding just about 3 months ago so I consider myself "noob at shreding". Can you give me advice and some songs I should get into?
Quote by metalmonsterr
The first time i heard about Granny Sluts 16 on DVD i was like OMG AWESOME.I feel like they made it just for me, then after i saw it the black granny at the end just makes me feel really awkward and depressed
Acϵ♠
UG Board King
2,050 IQ
Call me crazy but im pretty sure we already had a thread for this.

Sweeping means using a single picking stroke up or down across two or more strings. It means that when playing, one must make sure that the last note on a string, the pick is poised in the direction of the next string containing the next notes.

Sweeping is a combination of alternate and sweeping techniques. The reason is simple. It is impossible to sweep on one string So, on a single string, one still need to alternate pick.

I know what sweep picking is. I asked what economy picking is.
Gman400
UG's most handsome guy
1,619 IQ
Once again, he meant to say "Economy picking" in the 2nd paragraph.
Csquared1001
UG Freak
1,284 IQ
umm i was wondering do you guys turn the pick a little bit of go exactly parrallel to the strings
Quote by rooster456
Guitars will bring girlfriends. Girlfriends won't bring guitars.

Because footstools are cool UG's Classical Guitarists
pm Marmoseti or Confusius to join
rjk123
Haywood Jablome
244 IQ
I have a kind of weird problem, I dont know if its technique, but Ill put it here anyway: I've just started trying to "shred", (more like playing solos) but it seems like there are just some things I cannot play at all. For example, I cannot for the life of me play Eruption. I've been working on it for quite a while, and have gotten basically nowhere. Yet, there are other songs, like Eugene's Trickbag or Mr. Crowley, that are generally considered more difficult to play, but I am able to pick up really quickly. Anyone got any ideas?
Quote by madbasslover
you've just received the first official Madbasslover's Seal of Asskickery.

Cas Appreciator #4. PM Skeptopotamus to Appreciate.

Private Donut of the Red VS Blue Club. pm fret13 to join
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
Quote by Csquared1001
umm i was wondering do you guys turn the pick a little bit of go exactly parrallel to the strings

I angle it; most guitarists recommend that.
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by mortiis999
yes

edit actually no, i checked, its 16ths at 245 bpm

Are you sure?

The attached is a powertab of 16ths @ 245 bpm...
Attachments:
16th at 245.zip
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
Quote by PooKoo
how many nps is that?

good thread, btw.

245 x 4 = 980

980 / 60 = 16.33(Repeating)

So 16.3 nps.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
Excellent thread idea Strat.

Quote by SnowballofDoom
I angle it; most guitarists recommend that.

I angle it as well. I personally find it a bit difficult to play most songs when the pick is directly parallel with the strings. But meh....that's just me. And we all know I aint anything special on guitar
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Gman400
UG's most handsome guy
1,619 IQ
When you say parallel...do you mean that when the pick hits the string the entire surface of the tip makes contact at the same time, or do you mean you hold the picks tip not straight down on the string, but instead facing slightly towards the neck of the guitar?
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
^I think he meant the first one. I'm not sure though. I'm tired and having a bit of trouble interpretting what you are saying.
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Gman400
UG's most handsome guy
1,619 IQ
Sorry, I know it's confusing, lol.

Basically I think I'm asking do you mean: Holding the picks tip perpendiclar to the strengths length (as in pointing straight down onto the guitars body)

or do you mean holding the side of the pick facing parallel with the string.
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
We mean keeping the pointy end facing toward the pickups, but slightly turning the entire pick (angling) it so the side of it 'slices' the string.

Like in this pic:

One side of his pick is closer to the floor than the other.
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
Quote by priest.fan.
crazy vai and his ridiculously bony hands

Maybe Vai's boney hands are just a side-effect of being awesome. You know, like GibsonSG's weird breathing
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
splice
crank that jessie jackson
175 IQ
Quote by priest.fan.
crazy vai and his ridiculously bony hands

TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
splice......that sure as hell better not be chuck norris in your avatar.....so help me god, if that's chuck norris....
Quote by Resiliance

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
Quote by TheUltimateSin
splice......that sure as hell better not be chuck norris in your avatar.....so help me god, if that's chuck norris....

It's Chuck Norris.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Gman400
UG's most handsome guy
1,619 IQ
Okay thanks for the clarification. Nice pic too lol.

Speaking of hands, I remember a while back I posted an audio clip of my friend shredding and then explained how I only had 4 fingers on my left hand and posted a pic and edited out the middle finger lol. This was on a different forum btw but everyone was like OMG UR SO AWSUM.
Stratwizard
Fotzejäger
1,472 IQ
Quote by Csquared1001

I angle it. I have no idea, how one can pick without angling it.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
I do both parallel and angled... Different sounds.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.