Page 4 of 83
Best part of that whole video is the saxophone solo in Powerhead imo.

<3
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Depends how you define God.

Anyway, lets try to keep this spam-free, so it's easier to read and the mods won't get pissed off.
Ok I've just been learning Hanger 18 and listening to loads of Friedman stuff, any recommendations on any fairly easy songs by Friedman I should learn to get a good idea of his playing style and to improve on my own?
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
^Tornado of Souls. Not easy but none of his(or any virtuoso guitarist's) work is.
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
Poison Was The Cure is a good one also.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
its megadeth but with Friedman, id suggest learning Symphony of destruction because it has a lot of his trademark bends etc and legato style, its not too taxing but it sounds pretty cool.
Thank God im an atheist
try 'Rip' from his solo album music for speeding, its an awesome track
RATMAN FOREVA
no one answered my question about mattias harmonics....
Originally posted by dave_c2k2
Just shout really loud...

"Mother where is the carving knife i want to put my HAPPY face on!"
Quote by Resiliance
I think Andy's a bit of an egomaniac on the Ibanez video... If you know what I mean.

Still great though, just what I think.

I love his solo on Powerhead. You can see the saxophone dude enjoying himself that part.
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman
Quote by wil
ive noticed that Vai and Gilbert seem a little subdued, and they dont really look like theyre enjoying themselves at all--

Considering its Vai and Gilbert, thats a little odd...

Quote by wil
did you know Andy says he doesnt know how to sweep pick? Considering as i suck at sweeping also, this was a great comfort to me.

Its quite an underrated technique. Most of the time it just ends up being some irritating chord sequence. If you can be arsed to push some boundries i suggest learning it but if not, well, its all been done before, and better. A moderate amount of sweepage is great, but i dont think it really needs that much development to sound great, and the development post-that starts to sound like "FweeeeeeP FweeeeeeeeePFwoooooooop"....

Quote by Prophet of Page
A. Shawn's bar use sounds like mwopmwopmwooopmewpmwop. Bar use that I like sounds like wahwoohwaaaahwooah! Only way I can put it really.

Pah, Vai fans...

Fair enough.

Quote by Prophet of Page
B. And Gilbert is still better at it.

Sure, it takes all sorts. I prefer Shawn's picking, but hey.
i have a question.
If you any of you guys play a looped bending lick ie--

----------------------------------------
---------12h15p12--------12h15h12--
-14b16-------------14b16---------------
-----------------------------------------

Is it better to-
a) Keep your hand in a fixed position and bend the G string UP, as in towards the ceiling with you middle finger and execute the hammers and pulls with your ring finger

OR

b)Pull the G string DOWN towards the floor, releasing the bend and then concetrating on the pull offs. This means the fret hand is moving around more and im also worried that the pulling/snapping motion of bending downwards using only my middle finger is putting too much strain on the tendons?

I dont know how well ive explained this---I can do both things ive mentioned but i find it easier to do the second one but im worried ive just lapsed into a bad habit...
Thank God im an atheist
Thanx for the Friedman recommendations, I'll go and look at tabs for them asap.

And for that I'd bend on the G with my third finger and do the pull-offs with my pinky and index finger.
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
I would also bend with the ring. In fact I do when playing licks of that nature, like I was earlier. Lots of fun.
When you bend, do you bend the string up or down?

For some reason i bend it downwards and towards the palm of my fretting hand. Anyone think this is bad technique?
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Yeah, since you can't physically do that on the high E which is like, the most bended string.

Well, basically the rule is: G, B and high e strings are bent up (towards your head) and the low E, A and D strings are bent down towards your palm.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Ok, so I was watching the Hear N' Aid "Stars" video again and I was watching George Lynch carefully when his part came up in the song. Does anyone know what his picking style in that? And if so, is it generally complicated or not to play in it? I have recently become fascinated with George Lynch and I like his picking style.

this may seem like a dumb set of questions, but remember: I am currently technique-ignorant right now
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
Bending questions answer

E B G bend for teh sky, D A E bend torward ur little guy
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:
Broken Dreams, crushed oppurtinitues, and an old condom.

Quote by PooKoo
well, we are pricks, but were arrogant, not ignorant.
Stupid question.

I was watching a Michael Romeo instructional video (the young guitar one I posted on page 2/3 of the video upload thread)

And he was showing how he sweeps an apreggio and then with his other hand taps an appregio at the same time.

My question is, i get it, he sweeps one apregg and taps the other, but which ones? (is there a correlation) and which notes does he choose? Like there are sometimes multiple notes on the same string on an apreggio (usually bottom E/TopE/A or something) so when he's sweeping the first appregio, which one of the multiple note strings does he select to actually fret?

And the same question for what you would tap, would you tap the first or second notes that are on the same string, etc.
I usually tap the root note of the arpeggio. So, if I played a Bm arpeggio starting from the note B on the A string, I'd tap the B note on the E string.

I'm sure the guys with more theory knowledge can help better. I use too much my ears...
Could you point out which part of that instructional you're talking about? ( which minute/ excercise number)
Quote by rank-n-file
Spannious And The Homos has a nice ring to it.
or try the band name generator.

Quote by Resiliance
Where was I wrong? I WAS NEVER WRONG!

YOU WANT A WARNING BITCH?
k so what's tremolo picking
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Well for example at the times. I'm actually more interested though in the technique or "shape" rather than the notes, but i'm sure that would really help (especially if its movable)

34:05 Ex-26
34:50 Ex-27 near the end
35:34 Ex-28

etc etc. Actually if anybody just knew in general if those things are tabbed out or anything for that lesson would be great. But instead of just the tab i'm also wondering exactly which of the notes in the arpeggios he hits etc.
ive never really tried tapping seriously untill now, so can someone explain me the correct teqnique? what im not sure of is how i hold my right arm, because my arm gets really tensed and sore after a while. should i rest it on the guitar?
^I wouldn't rest you're arm on the guitar as you're more likely to hit the strings and take longer to get back to a picking position.

Erm..this is gonna be a lame explanation but here goes.
Basically tapping is hammering-on and pulling-off with a finger from your picking hand whilst usually doing something differently with your fretting hand,
I say usually because you don't always have to be doing big arppegios and legato licks whilst tapping, you can use it for harmonics etc.

A basic idea would be this:

E|--0h10p0-t12-0h8p0-t12-0h7p0-t12-0h5p0-t12~ 7p5-t12-9p5-t12-7p5-t12-9p5-t12
B|-----------------------------------------------------------
G|-----------------------------------------------------------

E|7p5-t12-9p5-t12-14bu15-t18(keep tapping)-15~
B|
G|

That's like a basic E minor ish tapping sequence but it gives you a general idea, the end bit is that you keep tapping whilst bending up and bending down until you do the end vibrato on the G.

That's really basic though, erm..in terms of your arm it should be coming across the guitar but not hitting the guitar, try not to rest your arm as it will take more time to get back to a picking position.

Also there really isn't right or wrong finger to tap with but I recommend using your second finger as this way you can still hold your pick and tap, but alot of guitarists do it differently so is best to find which you're more comfortable with. It's also a good idea to mute the strings you're not using with your palm to avoid making any unwanted noise.

After you've got used to using one finger you can use your other fingers and then tap out big arppegios and scale runs at the same time, doing something different with both hands, Michael Romeo does this sometimes and Joe Satriani also does it alot.

Hope that helped
but as you can tell I'm not too clever with these things.

EDIT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86DEKFissl4&search=buckethead
The tapping at the end of that video should give you a good idea of arm position etc.
Last edited by Matt_Malmsteen at May 9, 2006,
Can anybody tell me the correct technique for Chicken Picking? I know its not really shred technique but anything would be helpful

thanxs

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Its where you pick with a pick AND fingers, 1954. Like, if you have a string skipping pattern like this...

e|-------14----------14--------14-
B|--------------------------------
G|--12--------12-----------12-----

but hopefully less lame and more interesting...you would pick the G string with your pick and the e with your middle finger, assuming you hold the pick like most people. This allows you to haul ass on string skipping links, which is pretty sweet. I have a Zakk Wylde lesson in a Guitar World that has a sweet lick for this....and it goes about like this.

e|-----------15----------15---------15---------15-------------15----------15------15
B|------------------------------------------------------11h12-----------------------
G|----------------------------------------11h12-------------------11h12-------------
D|----------------------------11h12----------------------------------------11h12----
A|----------------11h12-------------------------------------------------------------
E|-11h12----------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you keep going up and down with the 11-12 thing. It sounds pretty cool when played quickly.
Last edited by ukdudeinuk at May 12, 2006,
Thankyou Freepower that helped... ukdueinuk, i dont think thats chicken picking like what i meant, thats like a fingerstyle pick and fingers technique... i think

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
That is chicken pickin'. You use a PICK, or plectrum...AND your fingers. Chicken pickin'.

Edit:ZOMG. I went and looked at the tab..and I forgot the hammerons. So Ive changed it. See above.
Last edited by ukdudeinuk at May 12, 2006,
I welcome you both as the President!

I played for the first time in 2 months, and it feels really wierd!
"Physics is like sex. Sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it." - Richard Feynman