Page 3 of 88
Lol, thats what came on the bonus disc in Ziltoid.

You should check out part 2 aswell, the sweeping he does at the end is insane.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Yeah I watched both parts. He is insane.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Always outnumbered, never outgunned...
Quote by reed
yeah years later i still think Storm is one of the best songs in existence

Storm convinced me that Devin has one of the best clean singing voices metal has to offer.
Last edited by Makkis at Nov 13, 2007,
Just to clarify on something said in the hall-ridden Drop D thread.

Everything Devin Townsend plays is open C major. CGCGCE or GCGCGCE on his 7. Please don't ban me now.

NEARLY all of his songs are. Detox is Drop D, AAA is EAEAAA (H to L), Bastard off Ocean Machine is in some strange B tuning and theres one track on Synchestra (Might be Vampolka...) thats in standard.

Do not refute my knoweledge of teh Dev. Har Har.

EDIT: 'Two Weeks' off Alien is also in Standard.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Last edited by Dyer's Eve at Jun 20, 2007,
OK, I wrote this chord progression a few days ago, and it kind of sounded like something DT would write. Did I subconsciously steal this riff from him? It's played in Drop C or C#.

|-------------------------------------------
|0-0-11-11-7-7-9-9--------------------
|0-0--9--9-5-5-7-7---------------------

And, what's a good DT album to start out with?
^The album that got me on to DTB was Terria.

I'd either go with that or Accelerated Evolution as a starting point.

And as for your 'subconcious thievery'. I don't think it's anything Dev in partcular, but A lot of the chord soundings he uses divert from the standard powerchord, and the type of chords and changes (i.e. the open chord to the fourth (?) shape) is something Devin employs a lot. 'Truth' off the Infinity album being a good example of that.
LAMMERGEIER
Last edited by Dyer's Eve at Nov 12, 2007,
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Just to clarify on something said in the hall-ridden Drop D thread.

NEARLY all of his songs are. Detox is Drop D, AAA is EAEAAA (H to L), Bastard off Ocean Machine is in some strange B tuning and theres one track on Synchestra (Might be Vampolka...) thats in standard.

Do not refute my knoweledge of teh Dev. Har Har.

EDIT: 'Two Weeks' off Alien is also in Standard.

Just going by what Dev himself says. He clearly states, in the Ziltoid bonus disk, the tuning "he uses and has used since he was 8" is Open C major. =)

As far as good DTB album to start with for me was Infinity. I thought Ziltoid was perfect though.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
^Devin cited, on his last tour of the UK that he couldn't play Detox because he didn't have the right guitar with him. Now why would he need another guitar to play that song...

Also This.
LAMMERGEIER
Quote by RedDeath9
OK, I wrote this chord progression a few days ago, and it kind of sounded like something DT would write. Did I subconsciously steal this riff from him? It's played in Drop C or C#.

|0-0-11-11-7-7-9-9--------------------

And, what's a good DT album to start out with?
Anything with root/fifth/ninth chords sound like Devin.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Thanks to whoever put that video up. After I watched it, I went to go tune my guitar to that tuning, but accidentally did CGCGBC and it sounds incredible. I love it. Thank you again, and thank you Devy!
Been listening to a lot of DTB lately I thought they deserved to be bumped.
◑ ◔
╔═╗
▓▒░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
╚═╝
Quote by Dyer's Eve
Bastard off Ocean Machine is in some strange B tuning

Ahah! That's why it's so difficult for me to play it in Open C

Just looked up a tab for it, it's in Open C just dropped another half step down.

EDIT:
Quote by icaneatcatfood
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2893103926183165869&q=devin+townsend+japan&total=7&start=0&num=10&so=0&type=search&plindex=1

I don't know if you've seen this video, but it's pretty awesome. It seems like its a pretty good way to learn how to use that tuning.

HOLY HECK! I never knew that even existed.
Last edited by UncleCthulhu at May 31, 2008,
Quote by UncleCthulhu

Just looked up a tab for it, it's in Open C just dropped another half step down.

My tuning.

Oh yeah, oh yeah...
Quote by webbtje
My tuning.

Oh yeah, oh yeah...

You didn't invent it...
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
You know you want to. YOU KNOW IT.

Well, I say that, but I've been thinking about tuning back to C standard, so go figure.
Wait, just to clarify what (from Low - to - High) does C (Major) Open look like? and same with the B one that you use Webby?
**I'm note sure off the top of my head, plus I'm a Bassist - so I'm not familiar with this stuff **
No worries

Open C major, low to high, is: C G C G C E

With a 7 string, it's G C G C G C E

I, and Dev on occasion, use all that half a step down, so B F# B F# B D#

And, when I get around to getting a 7 string, it'll be F# B F# B F# B D#
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
Wait, just to clarify what (from Low - to - High) does C (Major) Open look like? and same with the B one that you use Webby?
**I'm note sure off the top of my head, plus I'm a Bassist - so I'm not familiar with this stuff **

I'm a bassist and I know more about tunings than 99% of the guitarists I know....
I was trying to play that down Maggie, we know us Bassists rule

So yeah, can anyone write it out for me, as a reference?
Oh shit, sorry Webby - I only saw Maggie's post, you both did it at the same time

Cheers.
Last edited by Monkey_Bassist at Jun 2, 2008,
Seriously, the other day I was talking to a mate who plays in Drop C. And he was like "Yeah, I wanna get a 7-string but wouldnt that make me like, uber low and the other guitarist in my band higher?"
I'm like "....yes...but you would have the extra low A for stuff" And then he asked "ok...so...how would I do powerchords on the low A and C?"
I'm like "....dude...."
you'd have to be a hell n00b to get a 7 and still use 'teh easiest powerchord tuning!'. But if he really wanted he could just double drop-tune or something.
(I get you though Maggie *face palm* moment indeed)
He said "oh, ok, so with the Low A and the dropped C....does that mean it would be a normal power chord shape again? not a barred one?"
I'm like...no...it would be inverted...and he was like "....why?"
I love looking down on people with little theory. Well, I know bugger all too, but I pretend to be a genius, so I guess that means I'm allowed to.
I have little to no theory knowledge. Everything I know is me sitting down figuring stuff out.
I could probably outsmart a kid who had studied music for one year, but no more.
I don't think I could even do that. I can tell you vaguely what key something's in, but as for modes, scales, and so on, I'd be stuck. Most of it's got something to do with the fact that my funky tuning of fun isn't easy to apply a lot of that stuff to, so I just haven't been arsed.
99% of the theory I know is just logic. That said, I don't know **** about keys, modes, building chords and the like, or how to count measures properly.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
I love being asked by people about my symphonic stuff....

"So, you play guitar much?"
"Nah, I'm a bassist"
"Oh ok, got a keyboard I'm guessing"
"Nope"
"Studied classically?"
"Nup"
"Studied at all?"
"Did a cert 4 in music...learnt how to do basic scales...."
"...."
Does anyone happen to know what pickups Dev has in his Strat in this video?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=nrxmrS9FIzc
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.