ok so i guess if you have any questions on modes you can put them here

anyway im really confused right now

say im playing a song in C major, and i want to solo using the Aeolian mode (A minor)
what is that called? i know its the aeolian/natural minor/relative minor all that stuff , but like would you say i am playing " the C Aeolian mode " or "the A Aeolian mode"
MY GEAR :
2000 Jackson SL-3 Soloist
Roland Cube 60
Boss Metal Zone
Dunlop 535q Wah
Shitty DS-1 (AKA Teh Pap3rWeIgHt)

Quote by Nole07
i have like 30 bucks to spend. and i wanna know from first hand experience does it make pp's huge? thanks
You would be playing A aeolian, but the overall key of your music is still Cmajor.
If it smells OK, taste it.
A aeolian. Learn theory from the major/minor system first, then learn modal theory. It's easier on the brain, and it'll make more sense musically, and to your ear.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club
What would make that solo stick out as A Aeolian mode, rather just C Major?
Would it be the chords behind it?
I'm actually really really really badly confused with using modes. I understand what they are, I just don't know how you identify a part as a mode and not just the overall major it's from.

Like say you have a song in A Dorian. What makes it "A Dorian" and not just G Major?
The only difference is that you are treating the A as the root note now instead of the G. Its really just to do with the notes which you emphasise. As all of the notes in a mode is the same as its parent major scale its hard to imagine that they sounds different but they do. Its easy to demonstrate on a guitar but almost impossible to explain in text......
Right, i understand the emphasis on the A. But like how would you make a song out it, like what would you play behind an A Dorian melody?
if you have an A dorian melody you can plat any of the chords from Gmaj. Dorian is a minor more so pick a few minor chords from gmaj. play over it in A dorian and use the 6th note a lot (the F) and it should sound dorian.
its gonna get really complicated, but basically the 6th is what makes it sound dorian. Minor modes have a flat 6 but dorian has a normal 6, so its whats makes it sound different
all minor scales have a flat 3rd. thats what makes them minor. but you can change the other notes and its still minor. if you have the natural minor scale, and you sharpen the 6th, that makes it dorian.
there should be loads of info available on the web. i wouldnt really trust what people say on here because a lot of people think they know about modes but they totally miss the point. Anyone who says A dorian is the same as G major is wrong. try looking on cyberfret.com. I haven'e actually used it for modes but its generally quite a good site.
Quote by espZx coRe1
Right, i understand the emphasis on the A. But like how would you make a song out it, like what would you play behind an A Dorian melody?

You could play any of the chords in G major, only you have to make the progression resolve to an A minor chord. The chord that you resolve to dictates the mode you use. The whole idea behind modes is that you can be in a certain key, but resolve to a note other than the root note. Since your chords are resolving to a different note, so too should your scale.
hahah dude i was in the same position as you but one day i realized that modes were just so not complicated me n my friends just burst out laughing... all you really need to know is the major scales.... then while you are soloing say u want to go into phyrgian mode(3rd) so in C major it will be C D (E).... so you can still keep soloing in c major scale but just really emphasize the 3rd note E... so while soloing find like an E note sometimes and just really bend or you can tremolo that note... thats just what gives it a feel and you can still solo in C major... thats all you need to know.... if you dont believe me.... go search up a E phyrgian mode and look at the fretboard pattern... i swear on my balls that you will find a C major pattern in there but itll just say that the root note is on E....

edit: A dorian would technically be a G major but it isnt... its just that the root note is moved... but it contains the same notes
Last edited by f0rs@k3n21 at May 4, 2006,