Just recently in the past month ive started to practice and play my guitar a ****load more than I used to....ill usually do an 2 and a half hours with mtreonome work(Chromatics,Scales) , some technique practice (vibratos bends and whatnot), then usually just work on songs an hour or two, but the last two days my wrist and forearm on my fretting hand have been beggining to feel a little pain whenever I start doing metronome stuff( Im very slow Like 84 on all mmyscales) what should I do to make this pain go away and prevent it from coming back??
Take a break and slow down...don't overdo it...nothing is good in large doses!!Don't OD dude!!
Why "Emo"? What the hell are they? A crossbreed between manic depressives and the crow?!LOL!!

Some Beach, Some where!
Quote by Valasco
No one dies as a virgin. Life f***s us all
Quote by G_Dub777
Take a break and slow down...don't overdo it...nothing is good in large doses!!Don't OD dude!!

So is it probably from practicing too much?? nothing permamnent or too serious?
Quote by dwayne5000
So is it probably from practicing too much?? nothing permamnent or too serious?

You think we're all doctors or something?

No. It's NOT from practicing too much. It's from practicing BAD technique too much.
Keep it up and it could become serious. Listen to your body. It's telling you
you're doing something wrong. You should be able to practice for hours and hours
every day and not hurt at all.
Quote by edg
You think we're all doctors or something?

No. It's NOT from practicing too much. It's from practicing BAD technique too much.
Keep it up and it could become serious. Listen to your body. It's telling you
you're doing something wrong. You should be able to practice for hours and hours
every day and not hurt at all.

forgive me Mr. Badass .....ill start looking into fixing my technique
it's possible but it could be chromatics. personally, chromatics make my hand feel like ****, and I'm a pretty technical player (violin..) so my fingers are developed

just something about using all your fingers on frets straight in a row (primarily higher up the neck)

try just some regular scales, you'll never really use chromatics in the real world
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

First make sure that you are sitting with your guitar on your left leg, keeping your left leg elevated by putting your foot on some telephone books or something. Tilt the neck diagonally as if you were standing using a strap. Don't play with your thumb wrapped around the neck unless you're playing with lots of bends or vibrato. Place your thumb on the back of the neck.

www.guitarprinciples.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It helps. No, you don't have to buy the book. There are free lessons on there.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
You need to change the way you play so it relieves some tension off your arms and wrists. You can develop really bad tendonitis if you continue to play the way you do.
What would be the best type of chair for playing??I think its part of the problem cause its kinda weird and uncomfortable to practice in.......The pain is just in my fore arm and topside wrist of my fretting hand....does anyone know what would cause the pain in these places?? like bad thumb position or posture or whatever????This suckkss
Quote by auranos
First make sure that you are sitting with your guitar on your left leg, keeping your left leg elevated by putting your foot on some telephone books or something. Tilt the neck diagonally as if you were standing using a strap. Don't play with your thumb wrapped around the neck unless you're playing with lots of bends or vibrato. Place your thumb on the back of the neck.

www.guitarprinciples.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ It helps. No, you don't have to buy the book. There are free lessons on there.

That's basically the "Classical" position, which is a very good way to hold the guitar.
But, the "normal" position (on right leg) can work just as well. The main reason
to use classical is the guitar is totally supported and won't tilt & move.

Whether the thumb is wrapped or behind the neck shouldn't matter -- there's
good reason to use both and neither should cause any pain.

Every guitarist should get the Guitar Principles book. Best thing out there for
developing good practice habits.

The best chair is totally flat and no arms. A drum throne makes a great practice
seat.
Quote by edg
Whether the thumb is wrapped or behind the neck shouldn't matter -- there's good reason to use both and neither should cause any pain.

But with the Chromatic and Major scales I can't see anyone using the thumb wrapped around the neck, and if his guitar has a thick neck playing with the thumb wrapped around may be causing hand strain.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
yeah, my guitar teacher has me use the classical position usually. apparently it like relieves stress on the hand or something. either way, he should know, he's had to have like two wrist surgeries because of guitar..
Quote by dwayne5000
What would be the best type of chair for playing??I think its part of the problem cause its kinda weird and uncomfortable to practice in.......The pain is just in my fore arm and topside wrist of my fretting hand....does anyone know what would cause the pain in these places?? like bad thumb position or posture or whatever????This suckkss

I use a stool that I bought specifically for playin...I got it at Wal-mart:$10!! And it folds up for storage!!
Why "Emo"? What the hell are they? A crossbreed between manic depressives and the crow?!LOL!!

Some Beach, Some where!
Quote by Valasco
No one dies as a virgin. Life f***s us all
Quote by edg
Oh, well there's certainly situations where you'd might use a chromatic or maj
scale and be doing bends as well and you'd probably leave your thumb wrapped
around the side. You neven know. In any case, neither way should cause any
pain in the hand or wrist.

Too true. But I just thought of something I used to do when I was (well I still am) eliminating my bad and sloppy technique. Perhaps he isn't bending the distal joints in his fingers (first knuckle)? Keeping your hand arched over the fretboard like that would definately cause forearm and wrist strain.
Quote by John Mayer

UG 83
just technique i guess...maybe try have a break for 5 mins or atleast slow down for a minute lol
Quote by Shea Donoghue

Then, about two minutes later of just plowing, I can feel it coming. She's still moaning and rolling back, and then I pull out. I grab her by her hair, pull her head up, and yell out:
"BOOM, HEADSHOT!"
take a break for one day or two days.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
Most of the time its bad technique and with alot of young guitarists bad technique means playing your guitar too low raise it up a bit
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Doing scales and shìt repeatedly gives your muscles one hell of a workout. The thing is, they need time to recuperate between workouts. It's the same if you're lifting weight. You'll usually do it every second day to let the muscles recover.

I would recommend that if you break your practices down a bit. One day, fly thru your scales and fingering exercises only, then the next day, pratice songs and stuff that's not as hard on your fretting hand. Alternate back and forth like this.

And remember, it's not only how much you practice in one day, but also the quality of your practice. If you're overdoining it and hurting yourself in the process, you're going to hurt yourself permanently.

So take a break from the heavy workouts for a day or two and see how this works out for you.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor