This might be stupid to ask....but i have my new Schecter C-1+ guitar and i go crazy on stage.... I already have strap lock on it and its just not doing the trick........Now adays i see lots of bands ducktaping there straps to their guitar bodies.........I was just wondering if the ducktape ruins the finish on the guitar after....or if it leaves that sticky **** after?? Just let me know thx!!
$$MaTt_9913$$
You could always play it safe and buy some straplocks
Member #10 Of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Club. PM Narmi To Join
he says he already has them(GNRforever). i would think the tape leaves the residue but i'm shur u can clean it off after words. but i wouldn't leave the tape on all the time. maybe take the tape off after each show. cause if you leave it on the paint could fade and then when u take the tape off there will be a darker spot.
well buy scheller drill in strap locks. and then put electritions tape on after you have the strap lock on on, it wont **** your guitar up
you could just screw your strap directly into the guitar
member #2 of the hippies kickass club
What bands have you seen that do this?

I don't think that duct tape would actually take the finish off, but I'm pretty sure that it would leave all of the adhesive behind when you removed it. Oh, and maybe the problem is that your strap lock is faulty or not put on correctly. Check that out.
Duct tape does leave residue on the guitar but it does come off. But personally I woudln't do it to anything over 300 bucks, it gives a bad look unless your like some punk band. But what kind of locks do you have and how are they not working?
What most bands use is called Gaff Tape its like duct tape but doesnt leave the residue
Epi Zakk Wylde LP
Schecter C1 Elite
Fender 70's Strat
Orange AD30 Head w/Orange 412 Cab
Fender Hot Rod De-Ville 2x12
Various Pedals
I'd just get some better strap locks, or calm down on stage, lol.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
i'm too lazy to buy a new strap so i just reinforce the holes on the strap with duct tape. i just wrap that holes with 2 layers of tape and cut a hole in it so i can put it on the guitar
buy a DiMarzio clip lock strap
My gear:
OLP John Petrucci Sig.
Epiphone Les Paul
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Mesa/Boogie .50 Caliber+ 112
Quote by S2S
I'm pretty sure that it would leave all of the adhesive behind when you removed it.

Quote by Wells902
buy a DiMarzio clip lock strap

Yeah, after all, it isn't like there's a big plastic lock on the strap that rubs on the guitar and ruins the finish. I wouldn't use it anything more expensive than a $150 starter guitar.
ur going to put tape glue all over this finish?

sigh. if ur unsure of the strap locks u have, then lets go over different ways and products u can use to fortify that strap.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You could always screw in a weld-able stud into the guitar, then weld a thing from the strap to the stud. If that breaks, you just suck at welding.
lol^, i have stickers on my guitar(i feel so stupid now for doing this even though i still like the looks of them) and i might want to take them off but they have been on for probably 8-11 months, i have a black finish and it has a very thick, glossy clear coat which is really shiny and shows fingerprints pretty easily do you think i could take them off or should i not risk it because off the chance of it have faded since then, i have goo gone to get rid of the residue too, i took off one sticker after like 1 month and it left no spot though it was a different kind of sticker
Last edited by Teleprompters at May 3, 2006,
dark spots would be from light fading the color of the guitar where its not covered, so under a sticker would be darker because light hadn't been on it as long as where there isn't a sticker. and Goo Gone doesn't always work, plus its a bitch. i might just have bad luck though (every time I've ever used it I've tipped the bottle over) haha
Straploks haven't cut it for my guitar either. The bottom got stripped and the top one has to be tightened constantly. I use duct tape for my bottom one and I think I'm gonna get new ones to replace the old ones and drill a hole for the bottom lock.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
^ Just take the straplocks out, and shove a buncha toothpicks/matchsticks into the hole in the guitar and rescrew the locks on. You shoudltn' have any more problems.
Uh, that doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
It's a quick fix trick a lot of people use. Basically since the screw stripped the wood in the hole, the toothpicks/matchsticks are replacing the wood that got stripped. If you pack enough into the hole, the toothpick/matchsticks will push out against the wood and keep the screw from falling out. Trust me, it works.
like said, u put as amy toothpicks into the hole as possible. shoot wood glue in there too.
let it set and screw in thru the wood toothpicks.
let everything dry before u use it.

adding wood doesnt sound like a good idea, but duct tape does?

u can also add a wooden plug or dowel the size of the hole, tapped and glued in, sanded flush, then u redrill thru the new wood.

adding wood is how its fixed by any pro.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i have a strap lock on the top horn on my guitar, but my bottom one was taking a beating and it would fit in my case. so i removed the bottom one and chucked in a washer and screwed the strap into the guitar. it should hold. if you never take of your strap then just weld the strap lock in place. never come out
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
you could just screw your strap directly into the guitar

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA FUNNY!!!! I hope you were joking, or else you're an idiot.
Chuck Norris doesn't read, he stares books down until they give him the information he wants.

My Gear:
Washburn WR120
Randall RG100SC
Behringer XV-amp
Silvertone bass
^^

That actually isn't unheard of. You can also see people like Wylde screwing eye bolts into the guitar and using metal chain clips to attatch the strap. That won't ever come undone.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
When I saw Napalm Death the bassist broke the strap button out of his Warwick (ouch) so he got a plastic bag and tied it around the upper horn and then loosened the strap and tied it through that. The singer turned around and watched him sorting it out, before turning back to the crowd saying "Well I haven't seen that done before!"
sick guys thx for all the sugesstions i think i'll try the toothpick and woodglue idea it sounds the better way to do it as yes my holes are stripped and need more wood in there to hold it in place
$$MaTt_9913$$
Put epoxy in the hole and then screw it in. Once the epoxy dries, it's NOT coming out. Ever..
Guitars
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Fender Standard Strat (w SD JB Humbucker in bridge)
Squire Strat
Amps
Marshall TSL 60 Head
1960A Cab
Line 6 Spider II 112
Rack
Korg DT-1 Tuner
DBX Compressor
BBE Sonic Maximizer
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
How can straplocks not do the job?!?!? They NEVER EVER let go!

yeah. no kidding. this guy must not know how to work them properly. the strap peg will come out before straplocks do.

its true. i know this.

[pointless story]

so my band was playing this show awhile back. and i was playing my 40th aniversery strat (american made..i have to point that out lol but im sure most of you know my gear)...anyways...theres this one song and we all go crazy on it. and theres this pause where i usually do that "lets be emo/hXc and throw my guitar over my shoulder" move. and when i did it my strap peg flew out and my guitar went flying. luckily someone got a hand on it before it hit the stage floor. f*cked up my wireless pack and everything. it sucked. oh well, nothin some wood glue and toothpicks cant solve!

[/pointless story]
Quote by Matt_9913
my holes are stripped and need more wood in there

omg im so sorry. but that HAD to be done.

but yeah, this is a simple procedure *woodglue and toothpicks* so dont worry bout it.