I want Guitar Rig 2 to be the only thing affecting the tone of my guitar, so having a guitar amp that would be giving it's own color to the tone would be bad. Would a monitor or speaker be able to give an uncolored sound at a lower price, since there's no extra features to a set of speakers, unlike a guitar amp with EQs, gain, and so on? Would it be a better idea to buy a 2x12 cabinet (think the bottom portions of a marshall stack) that are directly hooked to my laptop instead, albiet a ? What would be a good monitor/speaker to get for less than $150? If i went with the monitor path, using it both for practice and as a monitor in live gigs (having my laptop plugged into the PA system), would it be reliable enough to depend on? Is there something special about guitar amp speakers as oppose to regular speaker systems that makes paying more worth it (remember: i do not want EQs, gain, and amp models: only a damn good speaker)?
You'll need a power amp, unless your laptop's soundcard can turn out 100+ watts.
Quote by franz.d.
What to change the band name? No way!! We have a kick-ass logo of a washing machine eating guitars and everything!!

Quote by elvenkindje
Lol, when I'm bored I'm gonna try that with regular dice! If I'm famous I'll thank you for it
The foot controller that comes with guitar rig 2 has an onboard soundcard with the following tech specs for output:

* Sampling Rate DA: 44.1; 48; 96 KHz
* Output Impedance: 200 Ohm (balanced); 100 Ohm (unbalanced)
* Maximum Output Level: 5Vpp, +10 dBu
* THD: 0.007 % (at 1 KHz, -3 dBu)
* SNR: -97 dBu (A-weighted)
* Frequency Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz ±0.5 dB
* Optional Attenuation: -14 dB

To be honest, I don't know what these specs truely mean. Apparently you can use monitors with it, so it should be enough for what i need without the need for a seperate power amp. But if I'm wrong, I'm not surprised.
no need for specs, i promise your soundcard cant do 100 watts......normal computer speakers are around 3 watts
Quote by R_H_C_P
^Oh my God! You're the first person to actually notice that link! A pringle to you my friend!

My Surf-o-Strat Project
What about using a powered studio monitor? Or would it not be enough power?