hey.

i love the fretless sound, but i also love slap techniques. im more of a beginner to the slapping, and im thinking of defretting my bass, and ive heard that slapping on a fretless can damage the wood, or just sound rubbish. my question is, to avoid this, could i defret my bass, but leave the highest fret still on it? so i could still slap without sounding bad or something?
i need to get a better signature.
You could make a slapgaurd by fitting a peice of metal over the bottom of the neck. I've seen a few people do that. I don't know how to do it, and I don't know of anywere that shows you how, but I have seen it done. If you like a bright slap sound, fretless is not going to be your thing.

If you are defretting, I suggest getting it professionally defretted. I know people who have ruined their basses because their friends told them that they could do it. His bass was almost unplayable afterwards.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
Wow... Perfect timing... I dropped mine off to have it defretted today. Its a 5 string, so you couldnt really slap on it anyhow. On major thiing to consider is that after defretting, you should use flatwounds, and Flatwounds are nearly impossible to slap on. Make sure you have another bass for that.
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
^Bull****. Flatwounds are just as easy to slap on. They just don't sound as bright.

Roundwound strings will destroy your fretless bass. You are going to want to buy a pair of flatwounds if you want your neck intact.

Dictator For Life of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Yertle to join.
and who says you cant slap on a 5 string?

mines got 16.5MM string spacing and i can still slap on it. (if any1 dosnt understand, its the narrowest string spacing ive yet to see on a 5 string. yes ther are probly some that are at most 1.5 MM thinner, but none the less my string spacing is VERY narrow, even for a 5)
My 5 string sounds absolutely dead when you try to slap on it (Old Flatwounds)... Its 1.6 MM spaced and the action is really low... quit givin me ****

(Oh and epoxied fretboards can handle round wounds)

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by epy
buy a fretless guitar.

no cos i dont want my slapping to sound bad!
slapping on a fretless doesnt sound as great (still good and slap sounding though)

as for damage, if you have roundwounds you're outta luck already i havent noticed anything on mine from slapping
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by metalstillsucks
Wow... Perfect timing... I dropped mine off to have it defretted today. Its a 5 string, so you couldnt really slap on it anyhow. On major thiing to consider is that after defretting, you should use flatwounds, and Flatwounds are nearly impossible to slap on. Make sure you have another bass for that.

This post just eschews bull****. Can't slap on a five string? I can, I don't know many people who can't. Hell, you can slap on a five, six or seven for that matter. I have a fretless five (with roundwounds) that I use because I love the slap tone it gives.
Quote by metalstillsucks

um, I slap on a 4 string with flatwounds.

And I intend on purchasing a 6 string with roundwounds for other slaply songs. I really don't see any points you made off that are universally true. True to you, maybe; but you say it as if it is fact when it's just you.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by MATTTHEMOP
no cos i dont want my slapping to sound bad!

have a fretted bass and a fretless bass
Quote by epy

this dude knows his ****. i'm borrowing a fretted and fretless from ny dad and theydo it well for me, but i play lines interchangeably, so meh...
If it's your only bass, don't go defretting it... You'll regret it for not having a fretted bass left.
If it's an expensive bass, let it be done by a pro. If it's a cheap bass, have a go yourself, you'll learn from it and learn to appreciate your bass more (I know that happened to me).

And do use flatwounds. Roundwounds leave grooves in the fretboard wich you'll have to sand down every now and then...
If you have any questions on how to do it, I have some sites that are helpfull, and my own experience from doing so (not that it's that much, but its something right...)
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
Quote by UtBDan
um, I slap on a 4 string with flatwounds.

And I intend on purchasing a 6 string with roundwounds for other slaply songs. I really don't see any points you made off that are universally true. True to you, maybe; but you say it as if it is fact when it's just you.

Ok... you can stop grilling me now.

Go buy a peavey millenium bxp 5 string, put flatwounds onit, lower the action as much as possible, and try to slap on it. It sounds absolutely dead. Im going to admit that I havent really tried very many other 5s, and none of them had flatwounds, but the ultra narrow strings make it difficult for me.

Quote by FunkMaster
If it's your only bass, don't go defretting it... You'll regret it for not having a fretted bass left.
If it's an expensive bass, let it be done by a pro. If it's a cheap bass, have a go yourself, you'll learn from it and learn to appreciate your bass more (I know that happened to me).

And do use flatwounds. Roundwounds leave grooves in the fretboard wich you'll have to sand down every now and then...
If you have any questions on how to do it, I have some sites that are helpfull, and my own experience from doing so (not that it's that much, but its something right...)

I was thinking about this the other day...if you defret your own bass and keep hold of the polyurethane varishing stuff surely using roundwounds won't be too bad if you're willing to sand down the top layer and refinish every so often? I'm sure I read about jack bruce doing this with his warwick...only he planes a layer of wood off the top
Quote by epy

lol i mean id like to have a fretless, that i can play and make the fretless sound, but maybe when required, start slapping on it, without ruining the wood or the sound. thats my plan.

thanx for ur comments everyone