All the guides say, is "Let's get started with the music theory!" without explaining what the music theory actually is. It really pisses me off. Enlighten me, please.
It is basically guildlines or "rules" of music that explain what sounds the way it does and why. They aren't meant to be followed religiously or anything, its just in a way the history of music. I think...
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
Well, it's not "The" Music Theory, like the Theory of Relativity... Music theory is basically the study of how notes interact with eachother to create pleasing (or displeasing) sounds. I don't know the formal definition of it, maybe someone else does.
There is no Music theory. If you were expecting something like Newton's Laws or the Theory of relativity, its nothing like that. Music theory is things like notes on the staff, scales, chord progresssions...etc. Its just a general term used to describe all those things.

EDIT: ^^ beat me to it. Damn.
Quote by crazydiamond73
i killed a hooker while she was servicing me and we were both high on crack, all on the teachers desk. i mean c'mon.
Quote by angusyoung101
There is no Music theory. If you were expecting something like Newton's Laws or the Theory of relativity, its nothing like that. Music theory is things like notes on the staff, scales, chord progresssions...etc. Its just a general term used to describe all those things.

Then why is there a whole lesson on "Music Theory" on this website?? I know it's not an actual theory, I'm just quoting what everyone calls it.
Quote by I R Guitar
Then why is there a whole lesson on "Music Theory" on this website?? I know it's not an actual theory, I'm just quoting what everyone calls it.

He means that there is no single "theory of music". There is such a thing as music theory, which is a region of study, not one specific idea, or "theory".
Maet. Wiki is good, but I came here to learn guitar stuff, because this is a website devoted to guitar stuff.
^So did we answer your question or are you still confused?!?
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by I R Guitar
Maet. Wiki is good, but I came here to learn guitar stuff, because this is a website devoted to guitar stuff.

Western music theory is applicable to all western instruments. Including guitar.
Quote by iain4444
^So did we answer your question or are you still confused?!?

I'm a blonde. I'm always confused. But, yes...I get it.
Quote by psychodelia
Western music theory is applicable to all western instruments. Including guitar.

Right.

Music theory is basically the language behind how music works the way it does.

If you just look up music, you're basically reading out of a spanish book not knowing how to speak spanish. Writing stuff without theory is just stuff that might or might not turn out correct or not, or be very simple and spitting back simple stuff. Music Theory is basically learning spanish in this analogy.
im takin an AP Music Theory class at school. i think music theory is the study of the elements of music... yknow.. like rhythm, notation, pitch, melody, harmony, etc.

basically what we've learned/worked on is as follows:

Basics:
- Pitch on the staff and the Keyboard (sucks we have to use keyboard. i think of the stuff on guitar anyway though.)
- Scales (scale degree names, major/minor scales, etc.)
- Key signatures
- Intervals (major, minor, diminished, augmented)
- Chords (triads, triads in inversion, seventh chords, inversion of seventh chords; figured bass, etc. as well)
- Staff notation.
- Duration (rests, tempo, beat, beat groupings, varieties of the beat [simple/compound]
- Time signature (normal and other interpretations of time signatures)
- Triplets, duplets, quadruplets...
- Rhythmic transcription

Tonic and Dominant

- Cadences (perfect authentic, imperfect authentic, half, deceptive, picardy third, "empty fifth"...)
- Spelling of Tonic and Dominant chords
- Part-writing: conventional procedures, writing single triads, connecting repeated triads, writing cadences, writing in phrase lengths, harmonizing a melody.

Subdominant Triad

- Spelling the subdominant triad
- Plagal cadences (not covered previously)
- IV or iv in other progressions
- Writing the IV-I or iv-i; or the IV-V or iv-V progressions
- Melodic harmonization

The Melodic Line

- Form
- Pitch
- Harmonic implication
- Rhythm and meter
- Melodic composition

C Clefs; Transposing Clefs

- C Clefs
- A clef for the tenor voice
- Transposing instruments

The Triad in Inversion

- The triad in first inversion and in second inversion
- The cadential six-four chord, the pedal six-four chord, the passing six-four
- Writing triads in first inversion
- Writing to or from a triad in first inversion
- Writing successive triads in first inversion
- Writing triads in second inversion
- Other part-writing considerations

(more on next post)
^I just took the AP Music Theory Exam today. The nicest way to put it: It's a bitch. You have to sight sing, you get a melody on paper, and you have to sing it into a recorder. You have to listen to a melody and write it out on paper. You have to listen to excerpts of music and identify cadences, errors in written music and played music. You have to write a bassline to harmonize in a progression with a melody line.

Yeah, it's a bitch. 5 Hours of bitchin.
Harmonic Progression; The Leading-Tone Triad and the Supertonic Triad

- Root movement
- Harmonic Progression
- Harmonic progressions in minor
- Other common types of progressions
- The diminished triad
- The leading-tone triad
- The supertonic triads
- Writing the diminished triad
- Writing to and from the diminished triad
- Writing the supertonic triad

Nonharmonic Tones

- Passing tones; neighbor tones
- Defining nonharmonic tones
- The passing tone
- The neighbor tone
- Writing passing and neighbor tones
- The suspension (and its special uses)
- Other nonharmonic tones and their uses

The Dominant Seventh and Supertonic Seventh Chords

- The dominant and the supertonic sevenths as nonharmonic tones
- Characteristics of the dominant and supertonic seventh chords
- Intervals of the V7 chord
- The V7 chord in the melodic line

The Submediant and Mediant Triads

- Root movement downward by thirds, fifths, seconds..
- The deceptive cadence (not covered before, though mentioned)
- The vi-iii-IV progression
- Inversions of the Submediant and Mediant triads
- Writing the Submediant and Mediant triads.

The Melodic Line (Part II)

- Form (continued; more advanced)
- Melody Harmonization (continued; more advanced)
- Melody writing
- Phrase groups, double periods, extensions, etc.

The v and VII Triads; The Phrygian Cadence

- The Phrygian Cadence
- The minor dominant triad
- The subtonic triad
- The progression iv-VII
- The triads viº and III+
- Writing the Phrygian Cadence

Harmonic Sequence

- Sequences (i.e.: down a fifth and up a fourth)
- Writing Sequences
- First inversion in series

Secondary Dominant Chords; Elementary Modulation

- Chromaticism
- Secondary dominant chords
- Spelling secondary dominants
- Use of the secondary dominant
- The deceptive progression
- Secondary dominants in the harmonic sequence
- The V/V at the cadence
- Modulation
- Return to the original key
- Modulation or secondary dominants in the melodic line
- Writing secondary dominant chords

The essentials of Part-Writing (review)

Instrumentation

Elementary Acoustics

The Medieval Modes

^ that about sums up my class. im sure theres more or at least things that are more in-depth... but this stuff is basic.
Quote by coffeeguy9
^I just took the AP Music Theory Exam today. The nicest way to put it: It's a bitch. You have to sight sing, you get a melody on paper, and you have to sing it into a recorder. You have to listen to a melody and write it out on paper. You have to listen to excerpts of music and identify cadences, errors in written music and played music. You have to write a bassline to harmonize in a progression with a melody line.

Yeah, it's a bitch. 5 Hours of bitchin.

word. i took it today too... lol so i know exactly what u mean.

btw that outline is from stuff in the book we're usin.
Guitar_Poet : I know you were being really thorough and what not, but I seriously doubt that helped her at all by listing theory concepts without explaining what they were or what they mean - not that i'm asking you to, that would take forever.

try this lesson:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/lessons/for_beginners/learning_music_theory_the_beginning.html
And Eternity in an hour
Quote by iain4444
Guitar_Poet : I know you were being really thorough and what not, but I seriously doubt that helped her at all by listing theory concepts without explaining what they were or what they mean - not that i'm asking you to, that would take forever.

good point. i was only outlining the concepts--if she were so inclined i think she could easily look each one up online
the word theory is misleading, it's more the fundamentals of music. Theory explains why music is music and why certain thigns work and certain thigns dont within music. Its the most vaulable thing you can learn.

Quote by I_R_Guitar
I'm a blonde. I'm always confused.

haha sigged and taken out of context
poet and cofee, do u guys go to creek, or is it nationwide?
I am Father Jimmyius Crowley, Arch Bishop and cruasder of Zepplinism. PM Heartbreaker to join me and my brethren in our religion.
So I went renegade... What you gonna do about huh? IM FREAKIN EVIL GEZUS !!!!
:stickpoke:
I've finished Music School and was learning 6 years about Music Theory, it's really hard and difficult to understand, some things are useful but most- just boring.I respect everyone who knows Music Theory (so I respect myself , too )

for everyone who's learning this: don't give up!