what are some basic effects i should look into? i will prolly play througha marshall dsl 50
Uh, overdrive anyone??? Distortion if you're into that kinda of thing
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
why would he need overdrive with a marshall duel super lead? nothing can touch marshall tone.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
my distortion pedal helps alot. for some reason, without it my hamerons/pulloff, tapping etc sounds like crap.
im also interested in effects
what do these basic effects do?
and does anyone have a link to where effect sound can be sampled?
EVH_5150 : so you consider it a _______?

Trapman870 : Right... i have a 1959 100 watt tube SLP, and I use an overdrive pedal occasionally, its for variety. I dislike turing that amp up enough that it naturally overdrives becuase the volume would destroy me. UNLESS! he marshall duel super lead has some built in channel for it or something? I don't really know much about all the amps out there

EVH_5150 again : have you considered the fact that its not your tone that makes your techniques sound like crap, its just that you may be doing the techniques incorrectly? You should be able to make all those things sound great with just a clean channel. Just a thought
And Eternity in an hour
Learn some Major 7th and 9th chords and buy a wah-wah to get funky. Basically though, you should only buy an effect if a song you want to learn to 100% proficiency uses it, or if it will encourage you to learn something new (like the aforementioned wah-wah). Save your money and when you are a guitar god you can pick out the best stuff that will suit you instead of buying a bunch of cheap effects now.

That said, I recommend buying a Danelectro Fish N' Chips EQ pedal and just fiddle with it and your amp settings. Yes, I know what I said about cheap stuff, but I've tried this pedal and it's really good for the price ($20 or even less on ebay). Besides, learning how to properly equalize your sound is great and you'll sound loads better.
Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
^ distortion is a necessity, now don't get me wrong, i play a LOT of songs clean -> as they are meant, but distortion is just bare to the bones needed sometimes.
For these things give thanks at nightfall:The day gone, a guttered torch,A sword tested, the troth of a maid,Ice crossed, ale drunk.-The Hávamál
Quote by iain4444
EVH_5150 again : have you considered the fact that its not your tone that makes your techniques sound like crap, its just that you may be doing the techniques incorrectly? You should be able to make all those things sound great with just a clean channel. Just a thought

well i can do it on clean but it just doesnt sound as good... when i try tapping on my distortion channel with the pedal off.. i can do it barely and i do the exact same thing with the pedal on and it sounds perfect.
^ maybe its the sustain or something then? But then again, if you can actually tap, you should be able to do it on an acoutic and a classical as well as an electric. Its the same technique. I'm not trying to be mean, i've never even heard you play (obviously) but maybe thats something you should look into.

edit: I was doing it wrong for the first few weeks or so when I first learned, but it sounded fine with distortion. I was doing the technique completely wrong, but fortunately I asked a friend about it and showed him and he identified the problem.
And Eternity in an hour
Last edited by iain4444 at May 3, 2006,