i want to tape of my frets and paint an inlay on it, and paint my neck, is it ok to do so, or will it jus rub off?..
What new friends will the day bring?

Private in the 7>6

[Member of the Ibanez S Players.] PM Striketalonx to join
Yes, it will most likely rub off. Unless yo ufind a clear coat stronger then steel.
i no they arnt paint, but i dont no how to do them, and i thot i would tape over my frets....paint the design, aply some clear coats on it....and see if thet would work..

Private in the 7>6

I know some custom artists have done it, but I highly doubt they were made to be play more or less then to be used a gallery piece. Inlays, are basically pieces of wood/plastic that are glued into holes that were cut into the fretboard.
route the inlay pattern you want, paint inside the routed area, fill it with a clear epoxy, let dry, sand, clear coat, and voila! Instant (not at all) custom inlay!

Or at least that's what I'm going to do with my Flying V project for the colored inlays... something like that...
well wat bout my frets, if i cut the inlay in my neck, do i leave the frets in or remove them..?..idk much when it comes to customizing necks

Private in the 7>6

Probably better to take em out. But you might be able to get by without taking them out as long as you don't go through and frets with the 'inlays' (i.e. scheter vine of life inlay on their c-1 classics I think)
ARGHH BAD GRAMMAR! PLEASE TYPE CORRECTLY!

And it will most likely rub off on a maple, and I think rosewood is to porous to paint well.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.