Page 1 of 2
Hey, I was wondering if the Fender tube amps (hot rod,etc.) get a good metal distortion. If not , would a tubescreamer help it out any? I dont know much about fender amps from expierience, only from reviews. If that combonation wouldn't work, whats a good combo amp for $800 or less.

Thanks
Peavy valve king.
B52 AT-100 is my favorite tube amp overall.
You could probobaly get a marshall combo for around that too.
Heavy metal distortion usually comes from solid state amps though.
You can get a really nice non tube amp for 800 bucks too. Possibly even a half stack.
The B52 has a solid state rectifier switch though. Making it the best. Its 600 for the head. You can negotiate on that at guitar center too, depending on where you live.
I got my b52 combo a while ago for about 800 + tax, and it was 1000 on the price tag.
Then I sold it. Bad decision.
Quote by boardsofcanada
^^

<_<
~Bass'-play-er.

The #1 member of the club that isn't terribly predjudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
PM me, or just say # x
And part of Fortysix and twos Defenders of Emo club.

" Zach_F I love you for that."
I've looked at the B-52s as well, but wouldnt they be crazy loud to get the best tone(keep in mind that im in a low-volume situation)? I really like the peavey XXX but i thought they are discontinued
^ebay still has em at the low price
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Zach_F

Heavy metal distortion usually comes from solid state amps though.

This guy has no fucking idea what he's talking about.

Have you ever heard of Marshall, Peavey, ENGL, Mesa, Diezel or Bogner?

How do you think they get their customers, by offering crappy solid-state amps (we all know the MG sucks but it's technically not an amp, just a box with bees inside)?

I've tried a Fender Hot Rod Deville through a Tubescreamer and I liked the results. I'm not exactly sure if the distortion would be enough for you, but it was enough for me (I didn't play anything heavier than Master of Puppets, though).

Quote by Zach_F
You can get a really nice non tube amp for 800 bucks too. Possibly even a half stack.

Gee, because when you have a half stack, it instantly makes everything better.

I'm not a big expert on amps, although as someone else pointed out, the Peavey XXX 40 watt combo is great and it's about $600 or $700, if I remember correctly.
well the half stack option is out the question but a 2X12 combo is ok with me
and while on the solid state subject , has anyone used the new Randall G3 series? they're on my list also.
^not a big fan. Basically hybrids....
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
If you want to save a little cash, the Randall RG50TC is only $570 for 50 all tube watts of high gain ampage.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
While the Fender/Tubescreamer combo is great for blues and classic rock it isn't enough for metal. You could try different pedals, perhaps Jeckyl/Hyde or Weapon. I mention it because if you already have the amp pedals are cheaper to experiment with.

If you're buying amp and pedals then get something that will do what you want to start with.
B-52 ST-6012 is a 60w 2-12 combo that runs around $800 or so that would do what you need.
Engl screamer is more money ($1200 or so),
Mesa Roadking,
Peavey xxx/JSX/5150/6505,
Marshall JCM2000

all would fit the bill for various dollars.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by metalman1136
well the half stack option is out the question but a 2X12 combo is ok with me
and while on the solid state subject , has anyone used the new Randall G3 series? they're on my list also.

I just bought the Randall RG100 G3 series last week. I haven't played with it enough yet (why is it when you buy a new amp, your bandmates disappear ) but I'm liking it so far. It's really bassy. It's on volume 1 and the room shakes. I think it's got a great tone but like I say, I havent' played around with it as much as I'd like yet.
Well hey get back to me when you play on it a little more because im seriously considering it.(Randall G3)

Is the Digitech Metal Master any good , and does it have a built in noise gate? I may get the fender amp for cleans and that pedal for the heavy distortion.
fender isnt going to get u there.

u want to try peavey, traynor blue 50, and randall. all in ur price range.
stick to tubes.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
^^With a floor processor u can get a very heavy sound with a fender amp, but that may not be what he is going for...

To skip a step and save money though, I would look into peaves or randalls, some marshalls do the trick - I got my JCM 2000 for 800$
hmmm, randall is a good metal distortion company, marshall solid state amps like the avt have great metal tones just way way way too overpriced for what you get, honestly i can say i got some good tones out of the amp while i owned one it was worse than setting up a mesa 3 days of utter hell trying to get a good clean and a clear distortion
Well , i need a good distortion that I can good pinch harmonics with(Lamb of God, Trivium, Exodus) along with a good clean (SRV and other stuff) and my budget is about 800(preferably less). The only thing that scares me away from a tube amp is it being possibly too loud ( i play in my bedroom)
Quote by Vindication
I'm not exactly sure if the distortion would be enough for you, but it was enough for me (I didn't play anything heavier than Master of Puppets, though).

Why do people think heaviness is all about distortion? A truly heavy song will still sound heavy on a nylon string accoustic. When Black Sabbath play their first song live they play it slow as fuck and quietly (well, quiet for them) and without stupidly high gain but when you're there it's the heaviest thing possible.
but many heavy songs wont sound heavy on a classic.
play lashed to the slavestick on it, it wont have nearly the same effect.
Could we please stay on subject and help me find an amp instead of arguing about what people said?

Thanks
To Answer The Thread Starters Question, A Fender Tube Amp and the Vintage Tube Screamer TS-9 or TS-808 would not create a good metal tone, it would make a good vintage classic sound. You would not want to spend the kind of money for this setup unless you are going for a classic rock, smooth lead tone, Also depending on what guitar you have,For the setup you are talking about the Fender Stratocaster would probably work best for a classic rock tone, but if it is a metal tone you want, I would suggest a marshall amp. and if you need a good heavy distortion pedal, or something along those lines, go for the MT-2. For a good metal tone, there are a plethera of guitars for that, you could go for a Gibson Les Paul, (If you are kinda going for Slash's sound) but if you want thrash metal or heavy metal, either something within the Ibanez RG series, or an ESP)
Well, if you want clean for that "SRV stuff", Fender Twin Reverb is the way to go.

Has anyone suggested Carvin? You might want to look at some of their amps.
I've think ive decided on the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe with a Digitech Metal Master Distortion Pedal for the extra distortion. I hope to test it out before I acually buy though.
A tube Fender IMHO is the best basic ampflication there is. You can start clean and add anything. My entire band uses Fender amps and we love em.

Save up and get a 65 Twin Reverb. You will never need another amp.
"It's easier to believe than it is to think. Hence we have far more believers than thinkers."-?
"Ive been busted, discusted and couldn't be trusted"-Woody Guthrie
Gibson S1 Marauder
Epi LP Classic Quilt Top
Epi LP Standard Plus Flame Top
I own a '65 Fender Super Reverb and I have tried everything from Proco Rat 2 to DS1s. I would say your best bet is a MARSHALL JACKHAMMER. It does a very nice vintage rock and does some metal. I also use a Bad Monkey for my lighter tones (blues and classic rock). But im extremely happy with the marshall jackhammer. Its pretty versatile in my opinion. Not to mention you can snag one for about 40 bucks
ive never seen a real metal band use fenders. maybe smokie and the joes at the local bar playing wonderful tonight covers but not a true metal act.
I have a Fender 010-1202, I'd like to buy a Randall RG100, does these two gears match?
You can get a metal tone from a Fender amp, but you'd have to add so many effects that you could just as well be using an amp.

Some of the higher end solid states can indeed do great work for metal, things like Randall's are pretty nifty.

If you're set on a Fender amp though you will surely get a great tone, just not sure if you can get to metal with it, well, particularly heavy metal.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by metalman1136
The only thing that scares me away from a tube amp is it being possibly too loud ( i play in my bedroom)

Tube/valve amps are scary loud, my 15w valve fender is too loud to get distorted in my bedroom, and needs an OD pedal at small gigs. But, saying that, the tone of a valve amp is just too nice to play anything else anymore
And plunged the long blade through the masking tape, through the cushoning and *splat* right through the center of Waldo Jeffers head, which split slightly, causing little rythmic arcs of red to pulsate gently in the morning sun.
the mesas are good
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
I have a Boss Metal Zone distortion pedal, a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, and a Fender Stratocaster, and believe it or not, I can get some pretty good metal sounds out of it with a lot of tweeking.
I use a Metal Muff with my Blues Junior and I can get almost any metal tone I need.
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
Quote by Fenderie
I have a Fender 010-1202, I'd like to buy a Randall RG100, does these two gears match?

what type of music do u play?

and u mean a Fender deluxe players strat and a randall amp right?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Haha no, maybe if you try 3 or 4 tubescreamers.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
What about the Fender supersonic; haven't heard much about it aside from it's got a lot more gain than your typical Fender but can still go clean.
Quote by CustomCustom
ive never seen a real metal band use fenders. maybe smokie and the joes at the local bar playing wonderful tonight covers but not a true metal act.

LOL....wait, that's not funny
\m/(>_<\m/
ROCK ON!!

Fender Stratocaster Standard
Fender Twin Reverb II 105 Watts
Takamine EG-330 cutaway elec/acoustic
Ibanez Demon Wah Pedal
Various Effect Pedals
This is a pretty old thread...what did the threadstarter get in the end anyway?

Edit: after a quick search I found he got a Peavey XXX.
i use a tubescreamer infront of a peavey classic 50 and sometimes my smaller Fender Deluxe Reissue....now it wont go HEAVEY metal, but i can get a borderlined hardrock/metal tone with it...of course BORDERLINED... but honestly it sounds great though IMO, TS808 that is.
http://www.myspace.com/wolfblackblues
Sometimes i walk outside and stare at the Sun and sigh at its massive beauty, a Glowing Beacon of Light. Then i begin to see spots...My Eyes Burn, Retinas begin to become Torched!....Sometimes i Hate the Sun...
He doesn't need a tube amp. If I would have had my 6505 tube amp in my bedroom practicing at 2 o clock in the morning someone would be pissed. I agree with tube amps are the best but in a way not the best for everything. I think tube amps are made for people who can play it very loud (because tube amps sound best loud) and for people gigging such as myself. If I wasn't in a band that plays shows I wouldn't need my 6505. For practicing songs and writing songs I use a guitarport interface on the computer and play through some pretty nice speakers. Thats the best for me. Before that I had a Marshall combo amp that I would write through. I just don't think this guy is ready for a tube amp I don't think its what he needs. 800 you can get some damn good (non tube) stuff.
Page 1 of 2