I saw this deal in a Guitar Center ad, then on Musician's Friend. Does anyone know if infact, this is a good deal. I've always wanted any sort of Marshall stack and this is my first step to getting the best of the best. Any known complaints? I've heard solid state amps don't have a really warm sound. I'm looking to play all types of metal, Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, but then newer stuff: As I Lay Dying, Trivium, The Black Dahlia Murder, Avenged Sevenfold. Will this amp get the job done or not?
my pubes strung out and played with a violin bow could probably give out a better sound than that. look for a used marshall if anything. the new ones are way expensive. or perhaps invest in a good combo, i doubt u need the power of a halfstack
Gear

Johnson strat copy
epi les paul jr
epi les paul studio
Ibanez gax 75
crate 10 watt
crate fxt 120
danelectro honeytone
marshall 8200 bichorus
behringer 400watt cab
That amp won't get any job done. It's horrible.

You should look at tube combos.

Check out a Randall RG50TC.

It's 50 watts, all tube, 1x12 for $570. It does metal very admirably.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
just because it says marshall on it, it isnt automatically good, there are WAY better amps for the metal, look at a Peavey Valveking combo or a Roland Cube 60
EDIT: sorry, i thought you had $400, look at the randall he listed^ or peavey's usually do metal pretty well
Last edited by Teleprompters at May 4, 2006,
Try it out and see if you like it. Just because people here say something sucks, it DEFINETLY doesn't mean it's true. Try it out and if you like the sound and have the cash for it, get it. Try other amps as wells and see which suits you best.
Quote by SillyShoe
my pubes strung out and played with a violin bow could probably give out a better sound than that.

Just from that, I'll assume it's an MG. Go out and buy a Traynor, and then get the appropriate pedals you need to get your desired tone. It's a much better idea...
try it at guitar center. if you like it, buy it.

dont let anyone tell you what to buy or what not to buy. u could even lower the price at GC.
well. not to jump on the bandwagon here..but i had to play that same head for a huge show once.

and heres what i liked about it:

and heres what i didnt like about it:
CLEANS: no such thing on this amp head. this thing did NOT accept any form pedal, even in the loop. the cleans were sterile and quiet. i had to turn it almost all the way up for the cleans to be heard at the show.

CRUNCH: sounded like a bunch of cans. i mean the thing has almost no distortion. what it has in that department sounds awfull. thin, lifeless, sloppy sounding CRAP. the highs are crap, the knob for mids didnt even sound like it worked, and the bass was not even there...even with the bass on 10.

VOLUME: i had the head hooked up to both of my 4x12 cabs and i couldnt hear myself at all. it sucked really bad...on one hand i couldnt hear myself and on the other if i turned it up any further id get HUGE nasty uncontrollable feedback. so after the first song i reached back and unplugged one of my two cabs to get a little more volume.

basically what im saying is:

A) since youre here asking us about this amp, and considering what amp it is, and the fact youre trying to get the biggest thing possible for as cheap as possible... you are NOT ready for any kind of halfstack.
B) for 600$ you should be thinking of a tube combo.
C) the only halfstacks/fullstacks worth getting are ALL TUBE stacks.

*all that was intended to be nice* lol
^lol thats funny to me

my friend has a MG and for like a 3 mont period i thought there was something wrong with amp(cus i was new to guitar it said marshall so i thought it had to be good) went to guitar center played a MG half stack there, it was louder but still terrible, i asked a guy what was wrong he said they all sound that way

and thats my entire experince with MG's

i've never played the Randall RG50TC but i've heard good things, I love the sound of a Traynor blue but it more suited towards classic rock
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.

Quote by gunther_sucks
Hey you look kind of like me.

Except for the sexy man goatee, and kickass shades. And sweet guitar.

I'm jealous.
i found the distortion channel to have enough for metal (metallica). maybe u had the little button FDD pushed out and the distortion channel on OD1.

i really dont see why everyone bashes it so much. i quite liked it when i had it.

just follow my advise and go try it for yourself.
yeah. try it out.

apparently. according to one of the ads in GuitarWorld magazine Zakk Wylde says:
"the mg has a CRUSHING overdrive and volume to MAKE YOUR EARS BLEED" and thats the exact words of the page!
but why doesn't zack wylde use why then?

could he be getting paid a **** load to say such things?
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Post a naked picture of yourself with your guitar to join.

Quote by gunther_sucks
Hey you look kind of like me.

Except for the sexy man goatee, and kickass shades. And sweet guitar.

I'm jealous.
Quote by Vandaliztik
but why doesn't zack wylde use why then?

could he be getting paid a **** load to say such things?

hes a huge Marshall guy. but the marshalls he plays are JCM800s. so idk, it was just him and his guitar and a MG mini stack and hes got this mean look on his face. it was literally a "LOL" moment for me. he probly didnt even say it, knowing how all these guitar magazines work.
who cares about zakk wylde? seriously. i like him as a guitarist, but everytime there is a thead or a mention of an MG, mr wylde pops up. hes obviously not using the MGs to gig and stuff, but could use them at bedroom levels for warm up or something when cranking a JCM800 isnt necessary.

tone is in one's playing. i went to a store and played a spider II. it was horrible and sounded like shiiiit. then some dude asked me if he could give it a go, and he sounded awesome and perfect. his tone had life and power. needless to say i went home and cried for an hour or so.

so yeah, MGs arent bad. but it is a fact that the reliability is not so good.
Kurdt has it handled, I agree with everything he's said except the volume, and that only because I've never turned one up all the way.
Quote by Danno13
Kurdt has it handled, I agree with everything he's said except the volume, and that only because I've never turned one up all the way.

...because you didn't want to kill yourself and everyone around you with the harpy scream...

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.