Page 1 of 3
I bought myself a new Marshall amp today. Frankly, I was blown away by it. It's an MG50DFX-I can't recall ever seeing a post here that is about a Marshall MG amp and doesn't bash the hell out of them (or at least say they're crap).

I've tried other amps that people suggest frequently-including the Vox Valvetronix line (100W in particular) and I have to admit-my new Marshall does indeed beat the Vox 100W. Not only in sound, but in effects as well.

I know that Marshalls are usually pretty expensive, but so are Gibson guitars and they still get praise as "quality."

Really, my question is why do people bash Marshall so much? I love my new amp-and from reviews and people I've talked to (who actually OWN the amps) they love the amps as well.

Why do peple here (and seemingly here alone) hate Marshall so much?
Tone is a subjective thing. Whatever floats your boat, man. It's mainly the Marshall MG, Mode Four and AVT series that gets the bashing around here. Most of their all-tube products are good, especially the JCM800.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by arsonite
They hate it cause they can't afford it.

Benny

Actually the mg's are pretty cheap money wise. But yea like ambulance said if you like it, just ignore what other people say about it. It's all about tastes.
The Don of the UG Mafia, PM me to join the family.

General of the Rage Against the Myspace Club, PM me to enlist.

Member #2 of the 'Shut the fuck up and respect other people's music' Club.' PM TheGospelOfRob to join.
some people do bash new gibsons for their lack of quality.
Member #4 of the Agile LP over Epiphone LP Club. PM iamtehwalrus768 to join.
Amp wars will always be around lmao. I agree with the others though, Go for what you like. Im not much of a Marshall fan, but I haven't played every marshall either. It's all opinion, just like guitar pickups...There's an on going war between Seymour and DiMarzio....Each have their stars so to speak.
It's good to see that there are people here who care more about the sound than the label. It seems like there are more and more people who buy guitars/amps/etc. because of the name.
ive seen more posts anti-theMG'sReliablity than anti-itsTone. by far too.

so if youre amp gives out in 3 months.

than yeah.

EDIT:
Quote by Xenn99
It's good to see that there are people here who care more about the sound than the label. It seems like there are more and more people who buy guitars/amps/etc. because of the name.

ironic how he bought a marshall
That's the exact point I'm making you jackass. I bought it for the sound. Not the name. It doesn't matter if it would have said "Fender" or "Peavey" on it. I would have bought the amp for the sound.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by SLASHfan01
some people do bash new gibsons for their lack of quality.

True, i would share some horror stories with you guys but i'm typing one handed. Lately, older gibsons's values have soared. It's been a gradual change, but it's definetly happened. These days, a pre 70's gibson les paul in relatively good condition is worth 10 times it's weight in gold. Of course, this doesn't apply to every les paul, and i can't give you the exact date, but it's close enough.

Threadstarter: It's no surprise that companies like gibson, marshall, and fender sometimes are riding on the coattails of their success and fame in previous years. You might argue that of course they would, why waste money in the r&d section when they can just reuse old ideas. I'm speaking in terms of quality, you might notice that older guitar companies are sliding. There is a whole failing economic system behind this, but it's not for every company. Take cort for example: quality guitars for a fairly low price. When it comes down to it, it's all about how much you're willing to spend. Not to mention, the standards have been raised when it comes to high quality products. Look at the difference between a sound city and something like a vht. Over time, everything has just grown to a new level. People expect better quality in everything.

Marshall seems to slide right there. Most of their new products just don't cut it. But tone is subjective - while you may like one amp, someone else may not. You might dislike orange juice with pulp, quite frankly i don't mind either. But as your ear for tone develops your mind while change. I've never actually heard a mg, so i can't throw in my 2 cents on that, but my experience with the people of the UG community is that for the money, you can get something much better.
Cheers
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv
lol i'm sorry to get involved but i find it ironic that you're talking about not buying something for the name and you buy a marshall (the most well-known amp out there)...and yes MGs SUCK - I don't care if tone is subjective they're just plain horrible - I was just at a local concert and a guy was running an MG half stack and my ears were piercing after it because it was so harsh and nasty sounding. On top of that the MG series are known to break down and cost much more than they're worth. The reason MGs don't get horrible reviews at music store websites is because all the people reviewing it are just as retarded as you - never heard a decent amp in their life and the MG is the first one they're buying... it's sad that marshall still makes this amp and screws tons of people out of hard earned money but what's even more sad is that people actually buy the things
Quote by klvanzu
lol i'm sorry to get involved but i find it ironic that you're talking about not buying something for the name and you buy a marshall (the most well-known amp out there)...and yes MGs SUCK - I don't care if tone is subjective they're just plain horrible - I was just at a local concert and a guy was running an MG half stack and my ears were piercing after it because it was so harsh and nasty sounding. On top of that the MG series are known to break down and cost much more than they're worth. The reason MGs don't get horrible reviews at music store websites is because all the people reviewing it are just as retarded as you - never heard a decent amp in their life and the MG is the first one they're buying... it's sad that marshall still makes this amp and screws tons of people out of hard earned money but what's even more sad is that people actually buy the things

well i tried to be polite about it, but from what i understand, you hit the target dead on.

Maybe a mod could just close this thread, it's not going anywhere.
Quote by drevil814
Be a man and tell her off. If that doesn't work, a roundhouse kick to the face will.

Quote by flesh fries
im not racist....ive got a color tv
My friend got an MG...tone wasn't TOO horrible for a small SS combo, but it did actually get messed up. There was some issue where the effects refused to turn on and off.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by Xenn99
I know that Marshalls are usually pretty expensive, but so are Gibson guitars and they still get praise as "quality."

not lately.
dude those two Marshalls were probly the AVT and the MG.

all Marshall TUBE AMPS are excellent. dont be put off by Marshall until youve played a tube amp at a decent volume.

[edit] this is my 1,000th post. yay for me. im the 4 digits now.
Last edited by kurdtkobaign at May 4, 2006,
Tone is a personal thing yes, but if it comes down to a valvetronix and a MG the vox wins hands down every time IMO.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
*looks at title* because you touch your self at night.

no. but seriously i dont like mgs. i've tried them, and was really unimpressed.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
to the op, everyone bangs a fat chick in their life. most people don't admit liking it, you do.
Quote by utsapp89
People jump on the bandwagon ALOT here.

+1
........also, a lot of people give reviews on what they've read on other reviews
Last edited by Gutch220 at May 4, 2006,
^Now that's pretty sad.

I've tried lots of MG's, AVT's etc, and not one sounded like anything special to me, they're just boring sounding really.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I will throw my 2 cents and bad experience with the MG series in here. My mate bought an MG30dfx around this time last year, which was around when I bought a Vox AD30VT for practice. To both our ears, the Vox blows it away in sound quality bar the effects which aren't so great on the Vox IMO. (One of the things about the Vox is the presets all blow) While I've had my amp running perfectly fine, except the blasted design flaw where the input jack likes to fall through, it seems like his amp his been being repaired for part failure more than it's been at his house. It's astonishing that a once highly reputable company like Marshall can put such crap out...

Edit: Forgot to address the AVT series

The problem I think most people have with the AVT series is that while it sounds alright, it doesn't sound particularly good. When compared to other things in its price range, you can get a pretty good used tube amp that will blow it out of the water.
I think AVTs are fine, for the record, just not as good as they should be for the prices.

MGs are dull, buzzy and weak- and I've played a fair few.
At the end of the day, you can get better than an MG for the money. They don't sound like anything special, and you're paying extra for the Marshall name.
What I don't understand is that people bash the MG's mainly for the overdrive channel .. which I agree leaves a lot to be desired. However, the overdrive on the MG's sounds very similar to the overdrive on the JCM2k's IMO (I own both) and yet people don't bash the JCM2ks.

Anyway I have an MG100DFX that I really love. The fan is noisey and the overdrive channel is useless but it has a great clean tone and the EQ knobs aren't cosmetic like they are on the JCM2ks.

Personally .. with the exception of the noisey fan which I think is BS .. I like the higher end MG's over the JCM2k's even though they're solid state vs. tube. I'm definitely going to be replacing my DSL50 head but I'm hanging on to my MG100DFX. And FWIW people keep compliementing me on my tone so honestly all this talk about "MG's have the crappiest tone in the world" etc. etc. I don't think has much merit unless they're talking about lower end models like the 30DFX.
The MGs are bad amps: Fact. When I turn mine on it buzzes on the clean and dirty channels, and thats before theres anything even plugged in! When you plug anything in it just adds more buzz. My friend told me he wants to get a guitar and hes going to get a Ibanez RG321MH and he needed an amp and I was going to let him borrow this amp but it wouldn't be fair to someone new to have to listen to that horrible buzz.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
For Christmas, I was looking for a portable practice amp under $100 to carry around with me because lugging around a 90 lbs. combo amp everywhere isn't an option. So I tried the Vox Pathfinder, the Marshall MG10CD, the Fender Frontman, and some offering by Crate, using my PRS SE Soapbar II. The Vox was nice, but I was also getting a AD30VT for Christmas, so I didn't get the Vox. The Fender had nice, bright cleans but the distortion was...bleh. I don't really like Fender distortions all that much, except for their higher-end amps. The Crate's distortion was worse than the Fender's, and the cleans weren't anything to write home about. So I ended up buying the MG. Cleans were decent, and the distortion for small 10 watt solid state amp wasn't bad. Buzzy, yeah, and the lack of EQ is annoying, but amongst its competition, except for the Vox, it was the best. And, five months later, it still works. Barely play it, but again, it's something that's more of a travel amp. Never use it at home. Would I use an MG as my main amp? Hell no. Would I gig with it? Nope. But again, for $70...can't expect the world
Hi, I'm Peter
You can get so much better solid state amps than MG's. They are way too much money and not even great. Crate's beat them.
VIVA LA REVOLUTION
Quote by Dirk Gently
For Christmas, I was looking for a portable practice amp under $100 to carry around with me because lugging around a 90 lbs. combo amp everywhere isn't an option.

Should have got an Epi 5W Valve combo - they're kickass
Quote by VR6 Stoner
to the op, everyone bangs a fat chick in their life. most people don't admit liking it, you do.

Incredibly WELLLL SAIIIIID!!!!!

Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
^
Fat chicks are like mopeds, both are fun to ride until your friends see you.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by smb
Should have got an Epi 5W Valve combo - they're kickass

I know, I know...but I was strictly keeping myself to a budget of under $100. Hell, the extra $25 for the Roland MicroCube was too much
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by Dirk Gently
I know, I know...but I was strictly keeping myself to a budget of under $100. Hell, the extra $25 for the Roland MicroCube was too much

was the Epi even available when you bought the MG? I thought it was a relatively new amp.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
i have never heard an amp worse than an mg. and how you think it beats a vox valvetronix is beyond me, you must be tonedeaf or something. i know its subjective but i just cant understand how anyone can like an mg's tone.
Quote by utsapp89
People jump on the bandwagon ALOT here.

ding ding ding.

I don't particularly like an MG or an AVT but thats me. Some people love the tone and you can't do much about it other than pat them on the back and say "good for you" because thats exactly what they want.
I don't know. I'm starting to wonder if I got a better MG. Mine doesn't have any of the problems mentioned (buzzing, loud fan, crapped-out effects). Who knows. Maybe the Vox I tried was used or something. All I know is that it didn't sound great. It sounded ok, but i find that my MG has better tone. I know it sounds absurd, but it's the truth.

The Vox was just a floor model at Guitar Center, so it could have been damaged.

Like others have said, it comes down to opinion. My MG does what I need it to and sounds good. I'm also just using it for home practice. It gets the job done, and was worth what I payed for it.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I think people overdo it with the problems..

One person has a problem, then 30 people see the thread, then suddenly it seemsl ike 30 people have had problems with the fans on their MGs :rollseyes:

You know what I mean?

Some people like Mesa, some people like Marshall. Are either of them crap? Nope. Tone is subjective, its all about whatever makes the user happy imo.
Page 1 of 3