Hey, I've been studying ancient and modern egyptian music, experimenting a lot, and I've been looking up some tabs from the band "Nile"

However, one song, which I would REALLY like to learn, has an extremely odd tuning, and frankly I don't even see how it's possible. (Hard enough finding a decent complete tab for the damn song "Sacrifice to Sebek")

???????????

A E A D F# B

???????????

What gives? This is what the tab I found said it is played in.
Quote by Hovertruck
You guys are forgetting the most important part of sounding like Alexi.
Yao Yao
it's very possible. that's just baritone tuning with a drop d. it may be impossible with a regular set of strings but not with a heavy (thicker) gauge of strings. not odd at all. many bands use downtuned tunings.
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
that's the equivalent of "Drop A", so if you know how to do drop tunings you're all set. i don't know how you would choose to do it though. i'm pretty sure if you dropped 3 1/2 tones your strings would be hanging off. another option could be to tune to drop E (leave sixth string alone and tune all other up a tone) and then slap a capo on the 7th fret. i'm not sure though, neither of these seem very reasonable...
come and join the youth and beauty brigade

#5 member of the club that isn't terribly prejudiced against emo. Get over yourselves.
You're gonna need some real heavy strings to tune that low, 12s at least.

Benny
ಥ_ಥ
I've had absolutely zero experience with baritone tunings or strings, can they be applied to a standard guitar? Like a strat?

EDIT:
Well, if anyone is a Nile fan, their music doesn't even seem that low compared to most metal... Perhaps you could just transpose the song into just a whole step down? (The parts I want to learn and work with are on the 7th fret through the 24th, I think I can squeeze it)
Quote by Hovertruck
Yao Yao
Last edited by AngilasGuy at May 4, 2006,
they can be used on a strat. i know you're gonna have to adjust intonation, string height, and your truss rod because thicker strings mean more tension (or less tension depending on gauge) which affects all of these.

edit: nile doesn't seem that low compared to modern metal because most metal bands now are down-tuned so that's why. ex. Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity
LSD

"Member #5 of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Pot Smokers Association. PM AK Guitarist to join."
just an idea. they might have a seven string tuned down a step or they could even have replaced there strings with a 7 string setup on a six string and just left out the high e string. and tuned that down
Quote by StaticFrame
Or use a baritone guiatar.

I'd really rather not, if I won't be seriously using it a lot...
Quote by Hovertruck
Yao Yao
i dunno if its just me and my sisters acoustic.

but i was in more or less drop A (but i think i tuned the used to be G string down 2 more half steps) and the tension was surprisingly fine.

is just acoustics? or my acoustic? or what?

its an ovation by the way.

and i was very much surprised that it held tuning very well even with that (i kept the high E as a high E, and through all that it kept tuning)
Believe it or not, I have this friggin cheap classical Kapok guitar (I use a pick :P:P:P) and it is in baritone tuning.

Well the only thing that I did is moved all the strings a slot to the right when looking at the guitar from the front, which holds the tuning and gawd, it is obessively chunky (yes classical and pick ^^)

I am enjoying 3 tone bends with massive slack, but no fret buzz ^^