Would a High end Agile be overall better than a low end Gibson? By low end Gibson I'm talking about anything below say...a LP Studio. I'm just wondering about this because I've heard nothing but good things about Agile and more and mroe negative comments about Gibson.
I seriously think a high end Agile could blow a low end Gibson out of the water. Agile has better quality guitars at better prices, and Gibson's quality control has really gone all to hell. The Agile would probably be a better choice.
My Guitars:
'69 Kent Strat
Agile AL-1000
SX ES-335 Copy (For Sale, PM for info)
SX Strat Copy
Epi Les Paul Jr. w/GFS Pickup
Rogue Acoustic
Old Yamaha Acoustic

My Amps:
GX 100-watt 4x8 whatever

FX:
Digitech EX-7
That's what I was guessing- Is the only real diffence in the body shape between the Agile LP and the Gibson the smaller horn on the Agile?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
^ Well, there's that and the body's just a tiny bit wider (and maybe shorter, I'm not sure) at a point. But it'll fit in a normal LP case.
My Guitars:
'69 Kent Strat
Agile AL-1000
SX ES-335 Copy (For Sale, PM for info)
SX Strat Copy
Epi Les Paul Jr. w/GFS Pickup
Rogue Acoustic
Old Yamaha Acoustic

My Amps:
GX 100-watt 4x8 whatever

FX:
Digitech EX-7
FWIW, just because you read a lot of Gibson bashing on those 20 to 25 Agile threads per week doesn't necessarily mean those doing the bashing have any real experience with Gibsons. I suspect most are just repeating what they've read.

Just think, why are some of those people so passionate about their hatred (appear/post regularly when Gibson is mentioned) for one of the most copied guitars in the world? Is it possible that they're putting it down to make what they bought appear better OR to make themselves feel better?

Go out and play with several. Unless one already has a preference for some other model, he/she will not be disappointed. Don't believe everything you read, specially from bashers, regardless of what brand.
The problem with Gibsons is that their quality control is no where near where it should be for how expensive the guitars are.

Whenever I go to a guitar store (which is a little too much for the good of my bank account
) - I pick up and plug-in as many guitars as possible (this is easier at a smaller place than places like Guitar Center). I find that about 1 out of every 5 Gibsons (of standard level or higher) are worthy enough to be bought. I'm not going to drop $2000+ on a guitar with crappy figure, finishing flaws, fretboard and fret flaws, and/or the inability to stay in tune.

Gibson already has enough people buying their guitars blindly because of the name; I'll take my money elsewhere (which at the moment, just might be a custom Carvin $1000 some odd dollars for a guitar customized for me? Sign me up!).

There are good Gibsons out there. Even good Special series Gibsons. And those good ones will be better than an Agile. Will an amazing Agile be better than a garbage Gibson? Of course it will.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Last edited by FacingUsAll at May 4, 2006,
Agiles are good budget guitars, and for the price, they're my default call for a Les Paul style (Hey, they're cheaper than Epis...)

HOWEVER Gibsons are a different story. Studio/Standard Les Pauls are great guitars, with the occasional lemon. In my experience, Gibson Special series guitars are ALL lemons. I hate the feel, look and sound of 'em. Would I take an Agile over a Gibson Special? No. The Gibson would have better resale. But if I had $800, and wanted a Les Paul, I'd get either an Agile AL3500 and upgrade the pickups, or an LTD EC-1000 (Depending on how "metal" I wanted it to be)

So:
$1-400: Agile
$4-700: Agile or ESP/LTD
$7-1500: ESP/LTD
$1500-up: Gibson, Gibson Custom Shop ($3500, but still)
Quote by Ippon
FWIW, just because you read a lot of Gibson bashing on those 20 to 25 Agile threads per week doesn't necessarily mean those doing the bashing have any real experience with Gibsons. I suspect most are just repeating what they've read.

Just think, why are some of those people so passionate about their hatred (appear/post regularly when Gibson is mentioned) for one of the most copied guitars in the world? Is it possible that they're putting it down to make what they bought appear better OR to make themselves feel better?

Why are you trying to antagonize Agile fans? Unless you haven't noticed, actual Agile owners rarely, if ever, bash Gibson or Epiphone. In fact, the biggest advocates of Agile guitars, such as Crunchmeister and Iamthewalrus recognize the value of well-made Gibson instruments.

You're trying to make it seem as though Agile players talk themselves into loving their guitars. But that's bullsh*t. Agile guitars EARN their reputation by actually BEING great quality and value. Agile fans don't need to put anything or anyone down to feel secure about their guitars. The guitars speak for themselves. So, stop trying to discredit Agile fans with false accusations.

Also, you make it seem as though Gibson guitars are so inaccessible that you "suspect" people don't have any experience with them. But that's not the case. At the very least, most people can go down to the local shop, play a $3000 LP and make a decision for themselves about the level of it's quality.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Last edited by Armored Artist at May 4, 2006,
Some people will tell you that Agile guitars blow Gibson out of the water.

Personally, I'd never buy a guitar I hadn't played.

You know that you can play a Gibson anywhere, but where can you play an Agile?
Quote by Xenn99
Would a High end Agile be overall better than a low end Gibson?

No, not even close.

That's just my opinion though, and i'm sure the Agile fanboys will be here praising there cheap guitars.

Gibson Studio > Agile 3500

It's really impossible to say what YOU will like though.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at May 4, 2006,
Agile guitars have earned my respect by being well built instruments that play and feel as good or better than instruments costing many times their price. Nowhere else can you get an inexpensive import guitar that will go toe-to-toe with any other high end import and consistently match or exceed it.

That being said, the key here is to remember it's an IMPORT. Compared to other import guitars, Agiles stands headstock and neck above the other Les Paul copies (including Epiphone which is a COPY, regardles sof the fact there's the word Gibson on the truss rod cover).

Comparing a machine-made import to a handmade domestic model and claiming it's "better" is ridiculous. I've played many Gibsons and even own one. And it's true that Gibson has serious QA issues on some of their guitars. But a good Gibson (regardless of what model) will sound better and give you better sustain than any Agile, Epiphone, or other import guitar. If comparing it to one of the Gibson "dogs" - of which there are MANY in circulation - then I could agree that Agile is better. But for the most part, that's not the case. My Gibson is "better" than my Agile. Only not $1000+ better.

Asked which guitar I prefer to play, the Agile wins every time. The neck is far more comfortable (at least for me it is), and the whole guitar just feels better. It's my #1 working instrument and probably will be for as long as I own it, regardless which other guitars I own. It's proven itself to be a rugged, dependable guitar. It's been used at band practice, gigged and knocked around and the finish is still all intact. The neck is amazing, and the sound is fat and in your face. I can't ask for more out of a live guitar than that.

The reality of the situation is that most musicians are pretty poor at best of times and need to spend their gear dollars wisely. There's nothing more discouraging that seeing some poor kid blowing $2k on a Gibson only to play it thru his 30W Line 6 Spider and still getting ****ty tone, when a sub $1000 guitar and a good amp would have been the much better choice. If you're looking to put your money into a high end instrument that will retain its value over the years (provided you keep the instrument in mint condition), then Gibson is the way to go. If you're looking for a great player that sounds great and that you will be able to play for years, and not have to worry about it taking some hits and knocks, then Agile is where it's at.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
imo gibsons are bashed because they always have to live up to the high expectations of *a Gibson* and Agiles are like the underdog so people are surprised that they're pretty decent. or it could just be that people who can't afford gibsons just bash them because they don't have one. just my point of view i've never played a gibson nor an agile
#57 of the Alter Bridge Fan Club
Quote by Armored Artist
Why are you trying to antagonize Agile fans? ...

You're trying to make it seem as though Agile players talk themselves into loving their guitars. ...

Also, you make it seem as though Gibson guitars are so inaccessible that you "suspect" people don't have any experience with them. But that's not the case. At the very least, most people can go down to the local shop, play a $3000 LP and make a decision for themselves about the level of it's quality.

AA, you're probably a smart dude but it looks like you misunderstood my post. I'm not going to argue with you because this is a forum and arguing in forums is retarded, IMHO.

1. I'm all for the most realistic way to truly evaluate a guitar, actually play them. So I recommend to try them out instead of getting distracted by what a lot of people post here, that Gibson's quality has been slipping, blah, blah, blah.

Ever notice how people say "I've read or I've heard Gibson blahm blahm blah? If people got antagonized by the above, so sad, they're probably dumba55e5 to be easily offended by opinions and suggestions. When the herd is thinned, they'll be the first to get culled.

2. In another thread, Agile vs, Gibson, I posted the 2 probable reasons why others prefer Gibsons: Just Because and Investment. Some can't afford Gibsons so they choose Agile ... this is fair, but some save up because they want a Gibson. Some who want instant gratification of acquiring an LP shape with the LP sound, buy an Agile, then immediately recognize some of the inferior components, are unable to upgrade the components, swallow hard, go in denial, then acceptance, and finally believe their POS is gold.

Based on some of the posts here, some definitely sound they talked themselves in loving their Agiles. I had 2 AL 2000 models before I upgraded to the 3000M which I love. The 2000s were POS and I hated them, I did not talk myself to liking them nor did I instead upgrade them to make them better. Some here sound like they did.

3. Yes, lots here just post and ask questions, never thought of just auditioning Gibsons, and some probably never auditioned Gibsons but see no problem repeating what they've read and giving the impression that everything they posted is all second hand.. I suspect some live here and prefer to post instead of actually trying out the Gibsons.

I hope the above makes sense to you. Don't be blinded by the initial fury that you felt when you posted your response to me. It's just a forum and some here were born dumba55e5 but open to suggestions, some will remain dumba55e5 all their lives because they refuse to see or explore other people's perspectives.
Quote by Danno13
...dumba55e5.

That amuses me.
and no offense intended ... some are so easy to spot, usually shooting from the hip.

BTW, although their Gibson investments probably won't come close to the example below, even the lowest end Gibson will probably be way more desireable than even the 3500s in ~50 years.

This 1959 Gibson LP Standard sold for $175,100 on eBay yesterday ... click here:

What I like about guitars LIKE Agile (I've never played one) is that you can get a really fine instrument for a reasonable price, play the holy hell out of it, and not worry about every little pick scrape, ding and hickey that it gets while you're playing it. The, If you get tired of it, or wish to have a different set up, you don't have to sell it in order to buy a new rig.

If I were to pay 3K for a guitar, it had better be FLAWLESS, but then I'd worry about nicking it up through nothing more than normal use. I had a friend hand me his six thousand dollar special edition Taylor acoustic, and I nvere could really tell if I liked it or not, as I was afraid to really play it. Had it been a $500 guitar, I'd have rocked it, then set it on fire!
Quote by Ippon
and no offense intended ... some are so easy to spot, usually shooting from the hip.

BTW, although their Gibson investments probably won't come close to the example below, even the lowest end Gibson will probably be way more desireable than even the 3500s in ~50 years.

This 1959 Gibson LP Standard sold for $175,100 on eBay yesterday ... click here:

I've seen stuff like that, which is why I named my LP "Retirement Fund"

anyway, there's no point arguing or debating which is better. It's an argument no one can win, because everyone is right.
Quote by Spamwise
I've seen stuff like that, which is why I named my LP "Retirement Fund"

anyway, there's no point arguing or debating which is better. It's an argument no one can win, because everyone is right.

I refuse to argue or debate, but I'll post my opinions or some other perspective. My folks explained "Group Think" and warned me of its pitfalls ... so I'm figuring out some other perspective.
People buy Agile for the same reason they buy import models from other companies. Not because they want a Gibson, but settle for something else. Not everyone has $2k+ to spend on a guitar. And when it comes to Les Paul copies, Agiles fit the bill better than any other import, IMO. And when it comes to price, they're true winners.

Quote by mrbreeze
If I were to pay 3K for a guitar, it had better be FLAWLESS,

Abso-fücking-lutely. Cosmetically, most Gibsons are flawless. Not so when it comes to fret work and sound. I haven't HEARD that Gibson quality control is too lax. I've experienced it first-had several times in the last 19 years, including a Les Paul Standard that I owned (one of the worst guitars I've EVER played). And tonally, most of the Les Pauls I've played have been mediocre to average. Only once in a a while do I pick up a Les Paul and think "Holy shìt" when I play it. Those are the rare ones that I want to play, not the average ones. To me, the average Gibson LPs are not worth their price tags. And if it wasn't for the fact that my Gibson was one of these "Holy shìt" models, I never would have bought it, particularly due to its deplorable fret work.

Quote by mrbreeze
but then I'd worry about nicking it up through nothing more than normal use. I had a friend hand me his six thousand dollar special edition Taylor acoustic, and I nvere could really tell if I liked it or not, as I was afraid to really play it. Had it been a $500 guitar, I'd have rocked it, then set it on fire!

Agreed. A few years ago, I had a friend leave me his 1971 Les Paul Deluxe to babysit while he was posted overseas for a year. Upon his return, he asked me how I liked playing it. I was almost ashamed to say that I didn't know. The guitar was mint, as old as I was, and had all the original store hang tags, manual, receipt, etc. This guitar was essentially worth a small fortune (which is why he didn't trust leaving it with his druggie brother / roomate while he was gone). I was terrified to even take this guitar out of its case.

On the other hand, I had a friend serve a 6 month jail sentence for drinking and driving. He let me babysit his Gibson Explorer. I played the shìt out of that guitar for the whole time he was in jail. I had ne fears of putting normal wear and tear on this guitar.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by mrbreeze
What I like about guitars LIKE Agile (I've never played one) is that you can get a really fine instrument for a reasonable price, play the holy hell out of it, and not worry about every little pick scrape, ding and hickey that it gets while you're playing it. The, If you get tired of it, or wish to have a different set up, you don't have to sell it in order to buy a new rig. ...

Exactly! I'm never concerned for my Agile when our spastic lead starts jumping around causing guitar collisions in practice. In addition, the stock 3000Ms are amazing enough and will take me forever to fully utilize its true potential. Even Crunch or some other Agile owners here use it as their main weapons of choice.