Page 1 of 2
Hey guys...

I have some questions for you...

I play metal like pantera, metallica, black sabbath, lamb of god, Heavy stuff with lots of distortion, heavy riffs, solos, etc etc etc...

Please stay on topic and try to answer some of these questions...thanks

1-Is the Ibanez RGT220H a good guitar (that's more a shred guitar than a metal guitar but with EMGs it would be great?)?

2-If I buy this guitar can I exchange those pickups for EMGs without doing lots of tricks (just take those Dimarzios and put EMGs 81-85, no complicated wire exchanges and electronic tricks please)? I mean..I know that EMGs sound great with mahogany neck-thru guitars, but I don't know why but EMGs and Ibanez guitars aren't very usual...Does that combination sound good...This one is made of mahogany it SHOULD sound good?

3-Is this Ibanez good or the Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR is better? (The Schecter is cheaper but it looks better for playing metal and it already comes with EMGs, the only problem is its floyd rose and the 3 knobs (I hate that).

Just a few notes to end this...

a) Don't worry about my amp...I will buy a tube amp...maybe a Mesa Boogie F-30 or F-50 or a Peavey 6505.

b) Don't worry about money (that isn't a problem )

THANKS

BTW here is a link http://www.ibanez.co.jp/world/country/frame_portugal.html to thast guitar...
Last edited by steinmann at May 4, 2006,
If you play with copious distortion, the dimarzios are just as good as EMGs, plus they're more versatile, plus you don't have to bother re-wiring the guitar for the active pickups (which you WILL have to do if you decide to put EMG's on there)
dimarzios work fine, great distortion, and as the other guy said, very versatile. The EMG's will have complicated wiring, compared to passive pickups, still isn't that hard. The schecter is pretty good, but i rekkon the rg will be better if you wanna shred, its way more versatile.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
I don't want versatility I just want a guitar excellent for metal and heavy riffs and solos...
The EMG wiring is complicated? ok i'll do it...but....Will it sound EXCELLENT on an ibanez? and is it worth? because the schecter already as those...
So does anyone knows how to answer those questions..I need some help here guys..lol

sorry for the 2post
You don't need EMGs for metal. You DO need a Floyd Rose for Pantera. The Ibanez is a fixed-bridge, no? Trust me, you'll want that whammy bar.

And Ibanez "DiMarzios" aren't nearly as good as the real things, so maybe you should be looking at pickup brands other than EMG?
Yeah man but those dimarzios are def. for shredders...yeah the whammy bar is good for pantera you know squeals and all that stuff..

but there are other questions that I would like you guys to try to answer

thanks
Well, dimarzio's have great distortion, the ibanez IMO has a way faster neck, for all your metal needs. I reckon sum super distortions in the bridge will sounds awesome.
Quote by Half_Full
[IMG]http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5971/uselessko5.gif[/IMG]

My Gear:
-Epiphone Les Paul Standard plus -honeyburst with Duncan Jb/59
-Crate gt65
-Boss ME-50
Future gear:
-Vox AC30 cc2
if moneys no problem why not some bare knuckles for the pickups. very nice pickups
www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk

and ibanezes are very nice guitars, you'll love it.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
No versatility lol

just metal and I'm going to buy 81-85...that's for sure
I just wanna know if they will sound nice on an ibanez...because it's rare(or at least uncommon) to see ibanez with emgs...
Quote by steinmann
1-Is the Ibanez RGT220H a good guitar (that's more a shred guitar than a metal guitar but with EMGs it would be great?)?

2-If I buy this guitar can I exchange those pickups for EMGs without doing lots of tricks (just take those Dimarzios and put EMGs 81-85, no complicated wire exchanges and electronic tricks please)? I mean..I know that EMGs sound great with mahogany neck-thru guitars, but I don't know why but EMGs and Ibanez guitars aren't very usual...Does that combination sound good...This one is made of mahogany it SHOULD sound good?

3-Is this Ibanez good or the Schecter Hellraiser C1-FR is better? (The Schecter is cheaper but it looks better for playing metal and it already comes with EMGs, the only problem is its floyd rose and the 3 knobs (I hate that).

Just a few notes to end this...

a) Don't worry about my amp...I will buy a tube amp...maybe a Mesa Boogie F-30 or F-50 or a Peavey 6505.

b) Don't worry about money (that isn't a problem )

1) yes. only thing you'd wantn to check is, since it's a neck thru and has a trem, most of the tone will be coming from the maple neck, not the mahogany, as far as I know. The EMG's (if you're going for an 81 in the bridge) might be quite trebly. Another thing to bear in mind, those Ibanez neck thru guitars are pretty dear for what they are. Add in new pickups and you're up to a very large amount of cash. I'd be looking at J-customs (non-neck thru), vigiers etc. or custom builds for that kind of cash.

2) you're definitely going to have to switch the volume and tone pots. You might have to do a little routing as well for th pickups, depending on the shape of the pickup route (i heard on jemsite that the rga's need a little routing for EMG's, i'm not sure about that one). Ypu'd need to check it out for yourself.

Again, as I said in (1), it's got mahogany wings, but most of the tone will be coming from the neck, from what I hear. It should still sound "good", but maybe not exactly how you expect.

(3) I would say the Ibanez is a better guitar (made in Japan versus made in Korea, general better attention to detail etc., neck thru, and so on). However, I just plain prefer Ibanez guitars, so a lot of that's personal preference. For what you want, the Schecter might be a better plan. If you don't like the three knobs, if you know what you're doing with a soldering iron, you can just remove one.

Also, both the Schecter and that Ibanez have a trem.

The ibanez RGA121 is the one you want to look at if you want an Ibanez without a trem- but you may need to route for EMG's (i think you do), and again you're going to have to change the pots and all. It's quite bright-sounding as well, the EMG 81 might sound quite trebly in it too.

How about the 2006 Jackson SLSMG? Mahogany neck-thru, mahogany body, EMG 81 bridge, 85 neck, no trem... I haven't seen any yet (or tried it!), but judging by the price of the RR5, it should be around £700-£800 (about 1200 euro). It's made in Japan too. http://www.jacksonguitars.com/gear/gear.php?partno=SLSMG_Soloist

I don't think they have any specs up yet, but I downloaded a spec sheet from somewhere on the Fender website (Fender own Jackson now).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^ now THATS an answer.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^

I love how I didn't really tell him anything, though, and just gave him more options to think about,
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
its part of being a mod. you seem to be getting good at it
but i'd personally take the jacksin over the ibanez, i like ibanezes but mmm hmm jackson. comes with the p/ups he wants, very metal orietated. a jackson with out a jb is pure sex. a jackson with a jb causes bats to fly into you. dont want that.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
^

true.

I still prefer ibanez, but I think the jackson is what he's after.

if it were a jackson USA, then that'd be a different story (and let's face it, JB or not, you can always switch it).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
^

I love how I didn't really tell him anything, though, and just gave him more options to think about,

YEAH...that's an answear.....OMG

What am I going to do? Maybe I'll buy that schecter
Or I'll try a custom made......
CUSTOM MADE.....when did this become an option? was i out or something when this thought crossed your mind. truth is the secret to a successful relationship

umm, yeah custom made would be very nice.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
and very expensive...but I don't know....

all this talk about emgs is pathetic....AN IBANEZ PRESTIGE model...that's a pro guitar right? great guitarists play those guitars..i bet that an ibanez pretige (even with dimarzios) is excellent for metal or any style we want...
yeah. just get it. you know you want to.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
metal is such a complicated style (chosing equipment)....this distortion, that overdrive, strings, tremolo or not.....

I'll start playing acoustic guitar instead....or I'll buy a stratocaster (I hate them) and a marshall amp and a boss ds-1, a chorus and that's it..lol
before going custom made, you need to decide a few things (easier said than done, i know, lol):

(a) do you want a locking floyd-type trem?
(b) you need to try the schecter, jackson, and ibanez, if at all possible.
(c) you'd proably want to get an amp first, so that you can see what pickups you need the guitar to have to get the tone you want...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think i'll just buy a telecaster and start playing country...

.........just kidding

hammm....what's a locking trem?
I would try them all if I could...
the amp.....right.....i'm thinking about a mesa f-30 or f-50 (Where are the prices? I can't find the prices on their site musiciansfriend and all those sites don't have mesa boogies..why?)
or a peavey xxx
locking trems are floyd roses
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
get the telecaster. converge play a rickenbacker. you should get a tele
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel

I would like to put an emg in a telecaster!
and a edge3 trem and a boss mt-2....and a triple rectifier......lol
a triple recto....in a tele.......
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
i want a rickenbacker just so i can bash out some converge songs but it aint gunna happen.
i'd take a f-50 over a xxx. and i'd take a dual retco over a f-30. and i'd take a roadking over a dual recto
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
so f-50 is the best in your opinion?

if I buy that one I don't want it combo...I prefer a stack..Sounds better and looks cooler
yeah. i honestly think the xxx would do metal better, but the F-50 is a much nicer amp.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
where can I find mesa boogie's price list?? i looked in their site but I haven't found nothing
F-50 is about 3000 australian, so go from there.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I really need the official price list.......I need it in euro....and the official price...you saw that in a review??
i think the f50 is about £1100-1200 here in the UK. It's probably a reasonably straight conversion to portugal, maybe a little more in portugal, since prices in europe jumped a bit when the euro was introduced.

Don't forget about the screamer- if you get a chance at all, try one. I'd take it over an f-series- although the f-series is very nice too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
hammm...to be honest with you I don't even know where to find engl products here in portugal.....so i'll have to stay on the f series or look for a dual rectifier(that would be awesome...but it's to expensive).....the f100 stack is much better than the f50 stack?

edit: i was seeing the prices now the f50 must be between 1500 and 1700 euro
Last edited by steinmann at May 4, 2006,
just louder.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Page 1 of 2