Personally, I think if you want to be a really good musician you should learn about music in general and not just how it applies to guitar. And reading music is kind of a base for that. Reading tabs and improvising and that can only take you so far. I tried to make a poll but couldnt work it out. What do you think?
Quote by spunky_chooken
Personally, I think if you want to be a really good musician you should learn about music in general and not just how it applies to guitar. And reading music is kind of a base for that. Reading tabs and improvising and that can only take you so far. I tried to make a poll but couldnt work it out. What do you think?
I firmly believe knowing how to read standard notation is an essential skill. I require all my students to learn to read S.N.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Im currently learning to read at the moment (grade 2 nearly done )

I think it helps you become a more confident musician.

Alot of people are very intimidated by reading music, you can understand why, but once you spend a few minutes with it it all makes sense.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
I hesitate to read music although I know how important it is... but since you can play a lot of songs on guitar without reading it and just reading tabs I don't care too much.

Thanks to school elevtives, I already know how to read it anyway.
"1456"... if you're reading this, you know what the code means, and i mean every word of it.... 1456!!!
Quote by fronkpies
Alot of people are very intimidated by reading music, you can understand why, but once you spend a few minutes with it it all makes sense.

Conversley, many non guitarist and I mean pianist etc as well as non musicians, are intimidated when seeing TAB. Just from what iv seen.
-PV14 Mixer
-Crown XTI 1000 Amp
-Two PR15 mains
-Shure SM58
-Dbx compressor/gate
I'm learning it on classical guitar right now (so far just all the notes in the key of C in first position). It will obviously be important if I want to make a career as a guitarist but also for other things because I'll be able to apply it to electric guitar too since its the exact same thing.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.