Page 1 of 2
i do it alot but mostly when i play easy stuff like wanted dead or alive bon jovi intro etc. is it a bad habit?
My Gear

Kramer Jersey Star
Jackson DK2
Epi Lp Standard
Takamine G series
Marshall DFX 30 mg series
Boss Gt8 foot pedal

member of the 'i cant spell yngwhey mhalmstreem club'

PM me to join
I always anchor. It helps coordinate your hand to know where the strings are. I would think its a good habit to get into.
Anchoring as in resting the side of your hand on the bridge, or your fingers on the pickguard or soemthing else?

I rest the side of my hand on the bridge... I would say to just do whatever feels most comfortable and helps your playing the most.
Originally posted by josephde
i feel like an idiot, so plz don't flame me, but is hendrix still alive?

Quote by orangecake
I incorporate shred and tapping because i am a technical player, not a simple guitarist.

Quote by bassistlane
I always anchor. It helps coordinate your hand to know where the strings are. I would think its a good habit to get into.

Quote by hendrix513
Anchoring as in resting the side of your hand on the bridge, or your fingers on the pickguard or soemthing else?

I rest the side of my hand on the bridge... I would say to just do whatever feels most comfortable and helps your playing the most.

Threadstarter, these people are wrong.

Please read this thread: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339913 , mainly the information given by myself, Freepower, and Resiliance, to see why anchoring is a bad habit that will not help your playing, but only hinder it.

-Zam
It's a bad habit if you have to depend on it - play without anchoring until you're quite good at both then pick the one you prefer.
i have recently started not anchoring. The difference is great in the freeness of your hand once you stop. Its hard at first but this is the best way to play regradless of what people say. There just to lazy to change there bad technique.
Quote by bassistlane

Your name says you're a bassist. Anchoring on bass won't cause any problems.

Anchoring on guitar, however, can cause problems with your wrist.
I've been unanchoring for about a month now....still haven't seen the improvement.
Oh my God. Please search the forums. I have no idea how many of these threads are done a day.
Quote by sashki
I'm planning to create the world's first punk rock mandolin. Join me.

Quote by the_guitar
and here in musian talk forum section we encounter the noobus maximus
Quote by scheck006
I've been unanchoring for about a month now....still haven't seen the improvement.

You could be either a) doing something wrong, in which case, you can refer to the thread with about nine gagillion posts in it that I'm sure you're familiar with, or b) you're so adament and stubborn about your anchoring that you are simply not willing to see the improvements you are making.

And don't worry, I've seen it a million times before to know that it's probably the latter.

-Zam
I anchor. I play faster and better than when i play with my hand just dangling in the air like that.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Quote by Zamboni
You could be either a) doing something wrong, in which case, you can refer to the thread with about nine gagillion posts in it that I'm sure you're familiar with, or b) you're so adament and stubborn about your anchoring that you are simply not willing to see the improvements you are making.

And don't worry, I've seen it a million times before to know that it's probably the latter.

-Zam

obviously I'm doing it wrong. I can't tell it when I get a huge spike in my playing ability either.
Quote by Ace88
I anchor. I play faster and better than when i play with my hand just dangling in the air like that.

That's because you haven't given non-anchoring a chance. Because you will be able to play "faster and better" with your hand dangling in the air, with practice, than you ever could anchored.
how long do I have to give it a chance? I thought this would be the best thing that ever happened to my picking.
it too me about 3 days of 4 hour practice sessions before i could pick without constantly telling myself to stop putting my hand on the guitar. I saw the improvements of not achoring straight away. Also thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped me sort my techinqiue out.
Lots of fast players anchor - Satriani, Steve Morse, etc - and a few don't anchor. People who say that anchoring creates tension are overlooking the fact that there is more tension when you suspend your hand over the guitar without anchoring. After all, it takes more tension to support half your arm in the air than to rest it on the face of the guitar, right?

The way I play is to rest my forearm on the body of the guitar and lightly rest my fingertip(s) on the guitar as well. I'm not gluing my fingertips in place, but they do provide a point of reference for where my hand is, plus a bit of support.

Some of this depends different factors--what kind of music you're playing, what kind of guitar you have and, most of all, how you're built. A big guy with long fingers and fat arms will get best efficiency from a different technique than, say, a young girl on an acoustic guitar.
Quote by scheck006
how long do I have to give it a chance? I thought this would be the best thing that ever happened to my picking.

Normally, a person will see results in less than a month. This also depends on how often you practice, and if you are in fact doing it right.

Quote by ban rap
People who say that anchoring creates tension are overlooking the fact that there is more tension when you suspend your hand over the guitar without anchoring. After all, it takes more tension to support half your arm in the air than to rest it on the face of the guitar, right?

Wrong. But thanks for coming.

Anchoring creates more tension in your wrist than suspending your hand over your guitar will. In fact, the "tension" created from floating your hand is about one tenth as much as even a small rest of the fingers against the pickguard, or the palm against the bridge.
Quote by ban rap

The way I play is to rest my forearm on the body of the guitar and lightly rest my fingertip(s) on the guitar as well. I'm not gluing my fingertips in place, but they do provide a point of reference for where my hand is, plus a bit of support.

I hate when people think that just because they haven't soldered their fingers to the guitar, they aren't creating any tension. This is wrong. Any rest whatsoever will create tension whether or not you are "lightly" resting, or completely planting.

Quote by ban rap
Some of this depends different factors--what kind of music you're playing, what kind of guitar you have and, most of all, how you're built. A big guy with long fingers and fat arms will get best efficiency from a different technique than, say, a young girl on an acoustic guitar.

Regardless, there are a few things that stay constant with guitar players. And the non-anchoring technique is beneficial for any guitarist.

-Zam
Quote by Zamboni
Normally, a person will see results in less than a month. This also depends on how often you practice, and if you are in fact doing it right.

um...I practice plenty and how could I not be doing it right? I took my hand off the bridge, what else is there?
Quote by scheck006
um...I practice plenty and how could I not be doing it right? I took my hand off the bridge, what else is there?

It's not that simple, bud.

Your hand is off the bridge. Good.
Your fingers are off the pickguard? Make sure on that one.
Your picking is coming from your wrist? Again, check.
Your arm isn't unnecessarily over-tensed? Make sure.

If this is all good, reply and I'll go over some more if you wish.

-Zam
Then just keep practicing it. You won't notice the improvement immediately, but once you've been doing it for a while, try playing unanchored, and then try playing anchored. You'll notice that you can play much more comfortably unanchored.

It may help if you try to pay attention to muscle tension more. Your wrist is more tense anchored, but you may not notice it because you're so used to it. Read this to understand what I'm talking about.
I'm trying unanchoring now. It's kinda awkward playing, but I'm guessing I'll get used to that.
But why does my shoulder start aching after playing unanchored? Is this normal?
Now the tenseness has moved to your shoulder. Loosen it up a little bit and you should be fine.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
i just love it how it's either you are INCORRECT!! rather than people giving their own opinions and letting people choose for themselves. I AM GOD LISTEN TO MEH AND UNCHOR YOUR HANDS YOUR SOULS AND YOUR LIFE! Become one with the holy unanchored spirit w00tang clan
^If I didn't already play unanchored, I think your posts would make me do so anyway.

On behalf of all who don't anchor, thank you.
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
Quote by IThinkYou Smell
i just love it how it's either you are INCORRECT!! rather than people giving their own opinions and letting people choose for themselves. I AM GOD LISTEN TO MEH AND UNCHOR YOUR HANDS YOUR SOULS AND YOUR LIFE! Become one with the holy unanchored spirit w00tang clan

Well, y'know, the biology is pretty cut and dried, skippy.
then why hasn't it helped me at all? does anyone find that you have to work harder to get the pick to go through the string when you're unanchored? is this due to lack of leverage or what?
Because you now have a floating system - you're forced to aknowledge that pushing down on a string with a pick will tense up your arm. When anchored you tend to be stuck and thats it, so you dont have to deal with the reaction consciously.
I don't see why its not different for everyone...if anchoring is more comfortable than unanchoring, why not just anchor? Jimmy Page anchored when he played, and look at how good he was and how much success he had.
Originally posted by josephde
i feel like an idiot, so plz don't flame me, but is hendrix still alive?

Quote by orangecake
I incorporate shred and tapping because i am a technical player, not a simple guitarist.

It should take less than a month to see improvements. I have just recently started on non-anchoring due to the recent focus on it in the forums, and I already have improved picking.

Being comfortable means that you aren't improving your technique. It's not very comfortable to play a new sweeping pattern or string skipping or whatever, so why should your picking remain comfortable?

Also, look at Petrucci, he looks like anything but comfortable when he shreds. He has to hunch over his leg to get anything done. His anchoring is rediculous when compared to Paul Gilbert.
Quote by hendrix513
I don't see why its not different for everyone...if anchoring is more comfortable than unanchoring, why not just anchor? Jimmy Page anchored when he played, and look at how good he was and how much success he had.

And look at how sloppy he was.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
I am a proud "convert" to non-anchoring. It's better for your technique and other than holding your pick with more than two fingers it's the worst "technique" guitar teachers let their students maintain without saying anything about it. I don't mean that they should attack it right away, but after a point they should acknowledge that it is a weakness and discourage it.

Besides... any hard headed individual can cite a professional exception as a way to justify their poor technique. If you want me to fight fire with fire, I play my Shawn Lane against your Jimmy Page, MAB, and Petrucci.

I was reluctant to change my "perfect" technique to something that could potentially help me. Now I regret not learning to play this way in the first place. For you performers you'll find moving around on stage while playing is difficult when you don't know where the strings are without anchoring. You'll also lean back and angle you guitar to solo. Doesn't look cool at all.
I anchor because it's easier... however I know I really shouldn't..

It's actually gotten SO bad that I can't even really tremolo pick half as fast or accurately when I play standing up
Ok, Now I'm confused. Is anchoring just planting your fingers on the guitar or do you consider resting your palm on the bridge anchoring? I do the latter for two reasons:

1. It gives me a reference point for where I'm going.
2. It mutes the rest of the strings I'm not playing while my fretting hand takes care of the rest.

I can see how the first technique would be considered bad but I would never play with my hand completely floating because the sympathy ringing would drive me nuts.

Bry
^Both.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Quote by NotAJock2Day
I am a proud "convert" to non-anchoring. It's better for your technique and other than holding your pick with more than two fingers it's the worst "technique" guitar teachers let their students maintain without saying anything about it. I don't mean that they should attack it right away, but after a point they should acknowledge that it is a weakness and discourage it.

Besides... any hard headed individual can cite a professional exception as a way to justify their poor technique. If you want me to fight fire with fire, I play my Shawn Lane against your Jimmy Page, MAB, and Petrucci.

I was reluctant to change my "perfect" technique to something that could potentially help me. Now I regret not learning to play this way in the first place. For you performers you'll find moving around on stage while playing is difficult when you don't know where the strings are without anchoring. You'll also lean back and angle you guitar to solo. Doesn't look cool at all.

holding your pick with 3 fingers is bad?
.... Yes.

Click.
Quote by Resiliance
^Both.

Ok then I disagree with you. Playing completely free hand or "floating" gives you unwanted ringing from the other strings. I don't see how slightly resting your palm on the bridge creates bad tension, slows you down, or anything of that nature. Planting the fingers I can see.

Bry
Page 1 of 2