Page 1 of 2
yea i suck i hav been learning guitar for almost a year every friday i go for lessons and i have learn blink182 - all the small things , metallica -enter the sandman [without solo] , greenday -american idolt ,my chemical romance -helna , avenged sevenfold -unholy confessions yet and some other simple songs i usually i play only power chords and my picking speed is kinda fast =P but some problems i hav is i cannot remember chords and someone like up down picking i get some problems yeah .. btw i am only 14 =P so where do u think i should improve myself and when do u think i can join a band =)
Practice some scales or chromatics. Power chords get you no where. They are so simple its almost not even practicing while playing them. Another problem why u suck is u play Blink 182 and Linkin Park who wouldn't suck playing those ****ty bands.
just keeping playing, its a struggle i know. but one day youll be playing and all of a sudden it seems easy to you. 3-4 hours a day. practice also. dont just play the songs you know, its good to do that but you also need to practice (practice is different then playing) like scales, start out with the minor pentatonic scale and all the boxes, that should defiantly help you out and when you use that scale use alternate picking (up and down), start slow and work your way up as you feel comfortable. Find what bands or guitarists you want to be like and learn their stuff maybe find stuff on websites about their playing style and also maybe learn songs outside theirs styles (maybe you like punk, try some blues) just to make you a more rounded player. And dont listen to that guy who said those bands suck. Play what you are passionate about thats what music is about...
No you dont you just think you do, as does every other guitarist

Join a band now if you want, it might help you learn abit quicker.

For practice at home id have to say; start writing your own music, doesnt matter if its only power chords or if its not that good its only for your own practice.

I think when you start writing your own stuff you really know what your playing and find it easier to remember the chords, this leads to you working out new strumming patterns and picking techniques because you not concentrating on remembering the chords as much, plus you can play with it much more than someone else's song.

1 year really isnt that long so i wouldnt really worry about it to much, the most important thing about playing guitar, in my opinion, is to enjoy it, far to many people are to interested in impressing other people than actually enjoying what they do, learning the hardest song they can think of and struggeling through it just so other people think their good.

The most enjoyable performances i have ever seen are by people who are really enjoying what they are playing, the songs may only be a few chords and have simple lyrics but the fact that they are enjoying themselves and loving what they are doing makes them good musicians. Thats a fact.
Quote by NFFC_1865
Girls playing guitar?!?!?! They should be playing cooking and cleaning and not wasting time trying to be men!!! ****ing feminist lezzer bitches. Trying to take over!

Co-Founder of the "Don't touch my guitar" club

Quote by StringsRequired
Practice some scales or chromatics. Power chords get you no where. They are so simple its almost not even practicing while playing them. Another problem why u suck is u play Blink 182 and Linkin Park who wouldn't suck playing those ****ty bands.

lawlz

he's right though, im not that great of a guitarist, but my guitar heros are like jeff loomis, and so much better then the ones of my friends, blink, greenday, ax7, ive advanced further along then them, i've got my sights set higher

you gotta think outside the box
powerchords arent the only thing you can do with a guitar
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Well, how good you are at guitar really does not depend on what songs you can play nor how many songs you can play. In your lesson does your teacher just teach you songs. To become a good guitar player you need to work on the most important things such as scales, chords, appregios, etc.
jeffjtr13 -AIM
jeff_jtr13 -Yahoo
chat to me about guitar please!
Two songs that really helped me out are "She's a Superstar" by the Verve and a cover version of Django's "Minor Swing" from the movie Chocolat. Look into those and see if it helps.
Stairway To Heaven, if you dont like doing
------5--7-------------------------------------------------------------------5--7
----5----------------------------------------------------------------------5-----^
--5--------<=this chord, just play the top note, like---5----this.
7--------6------------------------------------------------------7
Still sounds good and it will help you with chords.
Quote by Roc8995
Thin necks make you play faster because guitars with thin necks sound thin and bad, and you play fast to distract people from the bad tone.
Get an acoustic and strengthen your hands by playing everything you know on it. Then when you play your electric it will be much easier to do things than it was before.

Find a good alternate picking song, like "Sweet Child O' Mine" and practice the intro a lot. That will help you with picking.

Also, play some rhythm guitar parts to well known songs to work on your chords. I think "Free Bird" uses a G-D-Em-F-C-D pattern which is great for both chord transitions and accustoming yourself to using barre chords (F in this case).
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Quote by Ltd F-400
My mom sucks 2, for a price

great comment asshole,

anyways work on scales and chord progressions in different keys, and try to make up some songs andd a little solo using a minor pentatonic
if your in to that kind of stuff theres not much you actually need to do though.. master power chords learn different keys and minor penationic scale and ur set...
well you have to challenge yourself to get better. playing that stuff won't challenge you enough to get better.
learn chords even if you "forget" them. practice them everyday even if it means looking at them in the book everyday while you do it. practice them.
hmmz i gt another problem to sometimes whenever i switch chords i might play the wrong note or the wrong place will prastice help?
Yeah, join a band or find other musicians to jam with. That will make you want to learn, play and time yourself better than any cd or mp3 play along will.
Hell, I've been playing lead for 12 years in and out of bands and I still play power chords and barr chords half the night when we practice!!!
Quote by StringsRequired

Hey douchebag, he doesnt need a lesson on what bands suck.
What great bands do you play or listen to?
????
Quote by EZLN libertad
so much better then the ones of my friends, blink, greenday, ax7 , ive advanced further along then them

You're an idiot. Don't jump on the bandwagon of bashing the guys choice of bands when you don't even know who they are.

Bryan
Its just all about practice. I'd say practice at least an hour a day when you have free time. If you want a challenge, go play some Led Zep songs: stairway to heaven, black dog, whole lotta love, to name some easy ones. Playing powerchords will get you nowhere. Otherwise, just work on some scales or arpeggios.

Btw, being 14 is no excuse for "sucking,"
ok dude im in the same situation like you, i have a ****ty teacher and bad memory. But what i have to get better is my bassit in my band. which points me to my next point, join a band! lol. If this band is talented they will teach you what u need to know. Even better yet find a guitarist better than you and jam with him/her so they can teach you many things. Listen to all different types of music to expand your knowledge and try jamming to those tracks. If you can sing and have perfect pitch you can play guitar very well when you discover you can hear scales in your head and play them on your guitar

if you dont know much i suggest you learn
-scales
such as major,minor, pentatonic,phygrian,dorian,
-legato(if u wanna shred)
-theory
-more chords
-get a metronome, or drum tracks to play on time
-learn about playing in key
-get backing tracks to jam with them to get better

this is all what i can think of on the top of my head lol
hope this helps!

keep on rocking dude!
I got no job
I got no car
but im in a band:-)

my stuff i got:
Ibanez SZ -
Squire Strat - and
Fender 25R amp -
Line6 Pod 2.0 pedal -
Peavy transtube 112 bandit -
If you want to get better, the first thing you SHOULD do is learn HOW to
practice:

Go here: www.guitarprinciples.com

Don't pay much attention to people that tell you "learn this song". That's crap
advice and you may not even like the song. I'd be very surprised if any of those
people knew anything about practicing.

Practice is the real key to getting better and it's not so much about WHAT you
practice as HOW you go about doing it. With good practice skills you'll improve
fast. Without them, your progress will be slow and random.
i say pretty much what the other guys have said. ask your guitar teacher for chord diagrams or just buy them. and then practice as hard as you can and scales, ne scales.
iv been playing for about a year and a half and im also fourteen, and im not saying im amazing but my playin got a lot better when i stopped learning stuff like greenday and started learning queen and stuff like that.
hi again i found tat i have another problem which is whenever i stand up and play i cannot play ..... ikept on missing chords and playing on the wrong strings
On when yo can start a band. Three chords and you could be the next green day. Or wear a hat like Slash and noone will notice your crap they will just laff at your novelty hat
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by edg
If you want to get better, the first thing you SHOULD do is learn HOW to
practice:

Go here: www.guitarprinciples.com

Don't pay much attention to people that tell you "learn this song". That's crap
advice and you may not even like the song. I'd be very surprised if any of those
people knew anything about practicing.

Practice is the real key to getting better and it's not so much about WHAT you
practice as HOW you go about doing it. With good practice skills you'll improve
fast. Without them, your progress will be slow and random.

that link isnt working for me, and im pretty interested in that site. Do you by chance have a diff link?
yeah practice your basics, one guy who is on here recommended just practicing, say a chromatic run or a scale for a month at a comfortable speed (be it slow or fast) don't go so fast though that you're not letting the notes ring cleanly, after a month or so you WILL notice a difference, i've been playing for 10 years and am always looking for a way to improve my shred, i thought he was full of BS but i tried it anyways thinking "it's only a month and it wont kill me" and i definately notice a difference, i am going to keep up this practice method till my hands move like i want them to
also, you do need to challenge yourself, thats how you get better, find a song thats difficult (this is what i did and it helped alot and quick) i had been playing for about 6 months and decided to learn 'nothing else matters' (which is no simple task at 6 months, especially when you don't know squat about theory, scales or anything else really) i learned it just enough to know what chords there were and the order of the notes and i practiced it for about 2 months, but after 2 months or so i was i was alot better at that song and the improvement in hand eye coordination also carried over to everything else i was playing, but i wouldn't recommend flight of the bumblebee or anything over the top like that.
Quote by BirdHouse
hi again i found tat i have another problem which is whenever i stand up and play i cannot play ..... ikept on missing chords and playing on the wrong strings

Two things:

1) Keep practicing. Guitar is kind of weird like that. You'll keep trying to practice some riff or change to an exceptionally dificult chord, with no luck. Then one day you sit down to try it and "poof" like magic you can do it. However, that statement should be subject to the condition that those sorts of leaps forward happen a lot, but only with practice.

2) Make sure that your strap isn't too loose. I know it looks a lot cooler when a guy is playing a guitar that's hangin down to his knees, but it's really hard on your wrists, and it makes playing much more difficult. Playing guitar is already hard enough, so cinch up the strap if your guitar is hanging too low. Find wherever it is on your body that your hands feel the most comfortable and try playing that way.

There's an example--see how he looks relaxed and like he won't have to bend at any odd angles to reach certain frets? That's what you're going for, not the Kurt "My fretboard is parallel with my ankles" Cobain look. Best of luck! I hope that helps.
Quote by wongacaster
dont think you suck just because youve read some people on this site are ****ing playing like eruption and they have only been playing for a year.
those people are talking **** dude.
go at your own pace, and if you still suck in another year maybe guitar just aint your thing and like play drums or something.
I've only been playing for about a year and 3 months and can play most of "Eruption", but the catch is that guitar is simply all I do. In fact, I'm gonna go play after I post this. If you want to get better just get a scale and chord book and memorize it. That is the first major step to becoming a great guitarist. After that apply all the stuff you learned from the books and make it all your own. Practice riffs and power chords for the verse and chorus of the song. For solos mix a bunch of scales up for infinite results. Also practice finger tapping, hammer-on and crazy pull offs to awe a crowd. I wouldn't join a band until you can play anything flawlessly (even power chords, look at most new music). Until then just practice, practice, and practice. Guitar isn't for everybody, also don't force yourself into it. Play because you want to. I was a natural born, my family has a long history of musicianship. HAPPY PLAYING!!!
Quote by BirdHouse
then u guys gt any nice and challegening songs for me to practise?

Stairway way to heaven. it's not really hard but it helps you as in being able to flow with your music and not stop, like i said flow.get tabs for it though

Crazy train by ozzy fun and a little challenging for beginers, just get tabs

and jimi hendrix puple haze may seem hard but not really just get tabs
At age 14, you aren't done growing yet. You'll find it easier to play chords and lots of other thinks you found harder as the years go on. As for learning new stuff, I'd advise listening to new music. Don't just listen to the guitar parts, but focus on the bass and drums as well. You'll learn how simple songs can be. Everyone learns at their own pace. Some people get it right away and others don't. When I first started playing I had been playing Saxophone for 3 years before so music was nothing new to me. Just have fun playing, that's all that maters. As for simple songs, I'd suggest "Landslide."
I forgot to say to practice doing everything rhythmically, make all the notes flow together, don't just strike the note it tells you to if you're learning a song. That's a main problem in many blooming guitarists I've seen. Luckily I never had that problem, lucky me.
Try Master of Puppets. Practicing that song everyday has definately improved my playing, with rhythm and leads. I love the spider riff too.
dude im also 14, and ive been playing for about 8-9 months...
[haha i quit a while]
i can't memorize chords for ****...
so thats why i suck...
dude if you've been playing for a year, you should know WAY more songs than that!
I played for 10 months and i still suck too but i aint sad,cuzits not by how much u have played,just practice,keep on playing some tabs,write some of your music with all chords,learn some scales and play a long any song,like me i love playing along with nothing else matters with my acoutsic
just give it some time,play finger exercises daily and i think we can get better that way ,and btw maybe u just think u suck ask some of your friends who are good guitarists,theyll tell if u are bad or u have potential and u just cant realize that.
i am learning how 2 play darkeness i believe in a thing called love ... is tat a good song to start?
Page 1 of 2