I want to buy a high gain amp because I mainly play metal, but need some suggestions of amps to try. It seems like all the guitar shops around here only sell marshall and line6!!

I love the sound of the Peavey XXX, but £800 for a combo is out of my price range.

I've got £400 to spend, but could stretch to £600 if the amp was worth it.

As a cheaper option, I was thinking of getting a JCM900 combo from ebay.. or maybe an ashdown fallen angel 40w... or possibly getting a peavey classic 30 and a krank distortion pedal for the gain.
Well, a JCM900 would be a good option. The ashdown is kindof a mixed bag, I played one and it was a pretty good high gain tube amp, price considering at least. Although I've heard some things about their reliability. As for the Peavey classic 30, you could do that and use an overdrive (You wouldn't want to put the Krank over it, or over anything really) to boost the gain... But if you're going to play primarily metal it's probably not the direction I'd go.
thanks for your reply.. i've heard the same about the fallen angels.. but for that price they're worth the risk.. plus you get a 2yr warranty i think.

The JCM900... i've never played one, but i'm not a big fan of the DSL/TSL amps.. and I'm guessing JCM900's are kinda the same.

With the classic 30.. i was thinking of running it with no gain on the amp, then just use the krank pedal to get all my distortion. I suppose the only way of seeing if it works is trying it in a shop.
The JCM900 is far better than the DSL/TSL amps. But I'd suggest trying one, marshall's are a thing of varying taste especially in metal.

I dunno, just kinda seems futile to buy a classic rock/blues amp and run a pedal through it as oposed to a full on high gain amp. Albeit, I'm not too sure about UK pricing as I'm on the other side of the pond but G&K sells Laney GH-100 TI's for 402 pounds. Now if you could use the rest to find a decent used cab, you'd have yourself a hell of an amp

Here's the link to G&K's listing for the amp

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/options.php?id=372
I could get the GH-100 with a 1x12 cab (my mum would kill me if i brought home a 4x12!) I've heard good things about the GH-100... im sure that's what Paul Gilbert uses.

I'll check one out the next time i go amp shopping.

Any other suggestions?

p.s. what's the Ti for after the GH-100(Ti)
Actually, I made a mistake. I meant GH50L Those are what Paul Gilbert uses and those are what I've tired. The GH100Ti is the Tonny Iommi model which could be a good thing or a bad thing, I've never tried it so I don't know what to tell you there I'd say thats probably your best bet for that price range to my knowledge, but I'm sure someone from the UK will stick their head in here and be able to give you a better idea Good luck with your search
Oh right, i've just had a quick look and the GH50L seems great. The Ti model seems doesn't seem as versatile, so i think i'll try the L model
Are you looking for all tube? Because you could find a bunch of different solid state amps in your price range that would do what you ask. Randall comes to mind.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
nah, i'm looking for all tube.

btw, thanks to anyone who's posted so far! The17ark, you've been really helpful
You're in Uk so look at Some Laneys marshalls and possibly engls.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
i've never seen an engl ini a guitar shop over here.. lol. Aren't they supposed to be made in england too?

I'm not too fussy on marshalls either.. i think i'll probably end up getting the Laney GH-50L
Quote by p2fyre
i've never seen an engl ini a guitar shop over here.. lol. Aren't they supposed to be made in england too?

I'm not too fussy on marshalls either.. i think i'll probably end up getting the Laney GH-50L

ENGL = German. I don't know why they'd name it ENGL, though.

The laney GH-50L is a spectacular amp, pair it with a 2x12 and you should be very happy. Its got a great tone imo.

ENGL heads are really out of his pricerange I think.
My only worry with the Laney GH-50L is that I won't be able to get good metal tones out of it..

I've heard how good they are for a rock sound, and it sounds amazing for that.. but I've never heard one being used for metal.

If i do get one, i'll get it with a 1x12.. the 2x12 would be louder wouldn't it?
Nah, the laney wont do metal, You'll get a lot of amp for £400 second hand but if your willing to stretch to 5 or 6 hundred, you'll be well happy. I'd just bide my time and look out for a 5150 combo on ebay. There awesome. You'll get one for about 4 to 5 hundred. There really good for metal, quite hard to get hold of though.
if the laney won't do metal.. maybe i should fall back on the ashdown fallen angel idea. I went to my local guitar shop this morning, and they said Ashdown have sorted out the issues with them and are sending out a new batch in the next few weeks.

I've never tried one, but the tone is supposed to be amazing for £350. Anyone tried one before? Or can anyone backup that the laney can do metal?

Any info would be great
Quote by METSOAD
i think a Messa Boogie amp is good idea but the JMC900 is the best solution

yea...but the price of mesas in England is almost double what it is in the U.S.
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
try and get something with more than one speaker as i find it doesnt carry metal that well and has little or no low end.

E.G. get an extension cab for a combo or like me get a JCM 900, great all round Marshall and stick nice overdrives on it, metal!!!!
Quote by jonnyguitarman
Nah, the laney wont do metal, You'll get a lot of amp for £400 second hand but if your willing to stretch to 5 or 6 hundred, you'll be well happy. I'd just bide my time and look out for a 5150 combo on ebay. There awesome. You'll get one for about 4 to 5 hundred. There really good for metal, quite hard to get hold of though.

lol? The laney GH-50L wont do metal? Oookay..

I've hit metal territory with that amp very easily.
You may have hit metal territory with it but it sounds crap, so really, you've hit "crap metal" territory. Think you've invented a new genre.
Quote by jonnyguitarman
You may have hit metal territory with it but it sounds crap, so really, you've hit "crap metal" territory. Think you've invented a new genre.

sorry douchebag, but paul gilbert/opeth is not crap metal

judging from you're need of overubersaturaedsquarewave distortion, you must listen to slipknot, which IS crap. i think you should go bang your head against a wall, it would suit the style of music and just shut up and stop posting overwelmingly stupid sh1t that would lead someone on the wrong tracks, asshole.

burn in hell