My my my, these nails of mine can be a real bugger sometimes. At interviews I sometimes hide my right hand. I work at a bar and I get strange looks when I serve drinks with my right hand, though my boss picked it up straight away and asked me: 'do you play guitar?'. I thought he was going to ask me to cut them.. I was dreading that. But he didn't.

I've cut my own hand 4 times in the last week with these nails, bent my thumbnail numerous times (that hurts). When I play basketball I can't be as agressive as I want to because I might shred someones face or take a eye out.

The list goes on... but it's worth it having these nails long So, tell me about your nails haha - im bored.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
Quote by ask_withnail
When I play basketball I can't be as agressive as I want to because I might shred someones face or take a eye out.

haha I can think of a few i would like to do that to but that is beside the point , i have tried to grow out my nales out so many time its not even funny, i have a bitting problem , i can only get them to grow so long b4 i bit them off
The best thing to do is make sure your left nails are always real short. That way you can prove you're not some nail growing weirdo.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by ask_withnail

I've cut my own hand 4 times in the last week with these nails, bent my thumbnail numerous times (that hurts). When I play basketball I can't be as agressive as I want to because I might shred someones face or take a eye out.

For the love of the game man, thats what that is. Its funny, I don't really pick that often, but I'll do the bass note with my thumb and pluck with my hand like a claw with my other fingers, and I've found that when my nails get long they get caught underneath the strings, and when I go to torque my wrist to play the chord, it hurts like hell.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I fingerpick alot, and I can't stand stand keepig my nails long, it just bothers me.
Gear:
-Fender Mexican Telecaster
-Vox VR15 amp
-Yamaha FG-700S acoustic
-No name classical guitar with a stinky greasy fretboard
I do fingerpick,and my nails are long, being a girl, it shouldnt be a problem like a it is for guys, but it's a bit weird to find a gril who has the nails cutted perfectly in one hand, and long in another...arrrgh, I hate it!
I'm not going to sig anyone.
Quote by roamingbard13
For the love of the game man, thats what that is. Its funny, I don't really pick that often, but I'll do the bass note with my thumb and pluck with my hand like a claw with my other fingers, and I've found that when my nails get long they get caught underneath the strings, and when I go to torque my wrist to play the chord, it hurts like hell.

Yeah, I understand people who don't fingerpick with nails, that's cool man. It's your style.

The thing is I was raised playing the classical guitar: arched wrist, long nails, the whole shibang. So it's just natural for me.

My left hand nails are super short, lol whenever someone stares at my right hand I try and show them my left to show them im not some wolverine wannabe.

Quote by ask_withnail
Yeah, I understand people who don't fingerpick with nails, that's cool man. It's your style.

The thing is I was raised playing the classical guitar: arched wrist, long nails, the whole shibang. So it's just natural for me.

My left hand nails are super short, lol whenever someone stares at my right hand I try and show them my left to show them im not some wolverine wannabe.

Andres and Segovia used the nubs, correct, and I consider them two of the best classical guitarists.
Quote by Yespleasevicar
NevermorePsalm thank you for showing me how clever and witty one person can be in just a few sentances. My God i wanna be like u so much! In fact we all do. Well done

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt own my soul.
Quote by Rankles
The best thing to do is make sure your left nails are always real short. That way you can prove you're not some nail growing weirdo.

So true.
Quote by NevermorePsalm
Andres and Segovia used the nubs, correct, and I consider them two of the best classical guitarists.

Assuming you're joking (about the two best guitarists thing) that one went right over my head
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Not that this is a story about me, but about my dad. He didnt cut the nails on his right hand for an ungodly amount of time, like 15 years or something. His left were always short and always made me wonder as a kid.
I just fingerpick with my tips. I bite my nails really short, it's always been a bad habit of mine. I think I'd prefer playing with my tips than having nails anyways.
-Schecter C-1 Artist Limited Edition Left-Handed
-Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
-New York Pro Acoustic

Quote by Random emo kid
I'm so emo even my tears cry.

Quote by wahappen
I'd probably give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
Quote by soccerdude3465
Not that this is a story about me, but about my dad. He didnt cut the nails on his right hand for an ungodly amount of time, like 15 years or something. His left were always short and always made me wonder as a kid.

15 years?? He obviously filed them regularly.. 15 years of pure growth would be ridiculously long. Apparently your nails start to twist and turn when they get mega long, i've seen pictures of it.

I've always found that I get a crisper tone with nails - when I pick with flesh I get a muffled sound. Meh, must just be me.

To be exact, nails are more commonly used on nylon guitars. Steel stringed? No nails for me please..

And by the way, I hope when you said 'arched wrist', you don't exactly arched them more than about 45 degrees? Excessive arching lessens your grip power and finger strength.
I fingerpick on a steel-string and play bass, so my nails break if they're too long.

Rankles suggestion was a good one, though.
Quote by imLoUsY
To be exact, nails are more commonly used on nylon guitars. Steel stringed? No nails for me please..

that's what i was thinking
Yea, i had my nails pretty long for a period of like 2 months during summer, i find tone crisper and they it makes it somewhat easier to play faster.. IMO but i play piano as well and had to cut them ( need them short for piano )so since then i just play with my fingertips.
it felt really awkwards switching from playing with nails to finger tips, atleast for me.
Quote by imLoUsY

And by the way, I hope when you said 'arched wrist', you don't exactly arched them more than about 45 degrees? Excessive arching lessens your grip power and finger strength.

I arch it 46.5 degrees, thereabouts. lol just kidding. Yeah, I wasn't too specific, but ofcourse I don't overarch - infact I adjust my wrist position depending on what i'm playing.

Hmm on my steel string I still use my nails, no real problems really... I have a nylon too... again, it must just be the way I play. Perhaps the majority of fingerpickers don't use nails on steel. Looks like im the minority for once haha.

I just like the idea of having the sound of 4 picks at my fingertips. Ok, maybe the sound is not as crisp as a plectrum, but it's close enough for me.

Quote by rageandlove04
Assuming you're joking (about the two best guitarists thing) that one went right over my head

wow, I was really out of it there. Segovia and Tarrega Nubs = buckethead talk for fingertips. Sorry bout that.
Quote by Yespleasevicar
NevermorePsalm thank you for showing me how clever and witty one person can be in just a few sentances. My God i wanna be like u so much! In fact we all do. Well done

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt own my soul.
I get asked about it all the time, but I only have my middle and ring finger or my right hand nails long. Its for the countryish/blues/rock n' roll/classical/wicked playing that I'm into. I use a pick and my fingers at the same time mostly, except for some classical stuff. It can be a cool conversation starter with anyone as well.

I get questions at work (in a kitcken), but nothing serious. I would bring up the charter of human rights and freedoms if someone asked me to cut them off
To see a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour
I play steel string acoustic. I like to grow my thumb nail long so that when I play bass notes with it I have the option of picking with the fleshy side part of my thumb and getting a quieter bassy sound, or picking with the thumb nail and getting a more trebly sound (which is what I prefer to do 90% of the time).

I broke my thumb nail today.

I was not a happy man.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light