Hi guys,

I bought an S470 2 weeks ago, its my first guitar.

I'm playing some metal and I was considering buying the S520EX at first, but after reading some post around here, a lot of ppl said S520EX was a waste of money cause the S470 could handle it well with its HSH pu, you could just use the 2 humbuckers on it, and bingo you got pratically an S520.

but here is what I found on Ibnz web site:

this is the possible set up for the HSH, as you can see I cant use both humbuckers at the same time, or the 3 PU at the same time, I really find it sad.

I'm new to guitar so I just wonder, why is this done like that? why cant I use both my humbuckers or the 3 ones?

and if it's logical (I guess and hope it is) what is the best set up for metal playing, using only the bridge one?

thx for helping =)
Last edited by Locrian at May 4, 2006,
You'll get a lot of extra noise if you use all the pickups at once. This is generally how the pickups are set to work:

The bridge pickup is meant for rhythm.
The middle pickup is meant for clean sounding playing/acoustic modeling.
The neck pickup is meant for soloing.

If you wanted different combinations of you pickups, you can go in and rewire it all. And if you are unconfident of your wiring skills, take it in somewhere. But you don't normally need different combinations of pickups than it comes set w/.
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

look... just get emgs. they give you a great sound. you will probly have to get your guitar cut, but they are the better choice for metal, unless you want dimebuckers.
Great job answering his question... Now go away, n00b.

ANYWAY... Well, there are only 5 positions to a 5-way switch, obviously. So, with only 5 options you can't have your cake and eat it, too, as "they" say. Now, if you want to install some push-pull pots or on-on switches, you can have a lot more possibilities. There is a wiring scheme you can do with an H-S-H that, in the middle position, gives you both humbuckers at once, then coil splitting and the middle pickup in the 2nd and 4th positions, but in that case, you won't get the middle pickup by itself. But yeah, all 3 at once would be kind of pointless.
Hi, I'm Peter
pmc_funkbass , it's not really about the brand of the pick ups, I'm just a little bit confused by the PU configuration.
I think if I knew I couldnt use both HB I would have buy the S520 instead.

thx for answering Dirk, Im gonna wait before getting into this wiring thing
That's one of the reasons I opted for the 520 instead of the 470. The 470 gives you a bit more versatility, you can use that middle single to get some SRV style tones. You could do a bit of rewiring to get the sounds you want, perhaps changing out to a dial selector with more options instead of the 5 way.

If you just bought your guitar you could always return it and get the 520 instead. FWIW I swapped out the stock pickups for L500s (a bit of a squeeze, the S body isn't as deep as others) and it's sounds and plays amazing.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
^Looks like a GAX70.

Threadstarter: It's not wise to wire all three together in parallel, since that would cause a massively massive drop in output. And it's probably not a good idea to wire them in series, even though that would be super-high-output, since then it would be more difficult to activate one pickup at a time.
Quote by Danno13
^Looks like a GAX70.

Threadstarter: It's not wise to wire all three together in parallel, since that would cause a massively massive drop in output. And it's probably not a good idea to wire them in series, even though that would be super-high-output, since then it would be more difficult to activate one pickup at a time.

wow! what you just said enlightened me! that's bring back my old memories of electricity lessons... now I understand why they didnt allowed to just have the 2 humbuckers working, because the 3 are in series and the single one is in the middle ...
ummm...they're not in series. They're in parallel. All three go independently to the selector switch then to the output. And you can set up a switching option to have both humbuckers on at the same time.
Hi, I'm Peter
my ibanez with two humbuckers doesnt let you use both at once it goes
neck
bridge and neck single coils
bridge
so i dont think the 520 would either
My Gear :
LTD Fx400
Ibanez S470dxqm w/Tone Zone
Buz Mcgrath's S7320 w/ emg 707s
Boss Gt-8
EHX Metal Muff with top boost for sale!
Crate V32 palomino for sale !
Right. But if you want it to, the wiring modification is simple.
Hi, I'm Peter
The 520 has an H/H setup, no middle single. Mine gets bridge/both/neck.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
hey would anyone know the name of the model of the guitar that darron of SOAD plays? ive always wondered wut it was called...
a little metal never hurt....
Quote by isan
my ibanez with two humbuckers doesnt let you use both at once it goes
neck
bridge and neck single coils
bridge
so i dont think the 520 would either

it does :
( this is the set up for the 520)
Well, bad news. I've been told that the cavity in an S is too shallow to stick a push pull in. You could wire in a simple toggle switch though.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Right. But if you want it to, the wiring modification is simple.

Hey Dirk, could you give me or direct me to some instructions for this wiring modification? This is exactly what I've been wanting to do to my H-S-H setup...

Thanks!
Quote by flyingjew34

The bridge pickup is meant for rhythm.
The middle pickup is meant for clean sounding playing/acoustic modeling.
The neck pickup is meant for soloing.

Not if your name is Les Paul.