I think Richard Ashcroft is boring, not to mention over-rated. And he's so vain; he actually believes his own hype. Thinks he's something significant. In fact, now that I think about it, were The Verve really that good? Is Urban Hyms really a 'classic' album (as recently voted by Channel 4 viewers?

Maybe I'm alone here, but I'd like to know if any shares the sentiment...
If you don't like it thats your opinion, but at the time Urban Hymns pretty much speaks as one of the biggest British albums of the 90s.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
But the only track worth talking about is 'Bittersweet Symphony' and that was just Ashcoft singing over Andrew Loogolham's orchestral version of a Jagger / Richards compostion.
what?!?! no way!!!! ive got keys to the world, his new album, and it is AWESOME and definatly not boring!!

the verve are amazing too-the drugs dont work is probably my favorite songs of all time!!

also i like sonnet, lucky man, on your own, bittersweet symphony, history and LOADS more!!

maybe ur not into that style of music but he is an amazing songwriter and in my opinion one of the best of the ninetees.

also im seeing him in 2 weeks and im as exited as i was when i went to see greenday at milton keynes!!
Fair enough. I expected I'd be in the minority on this one.

Maybe I just can't see it. I mean, there's a track on Urban Hymns called 'This Time' which wouldn't sound out of plae on a Simple Minds album. And that just CAN'T be a good thing...
The Verve were good, they werent ace...but come on man

How can you say songs like The Drugs Dont' Work and Lucky Man aren't grade-A tunes?
Quote by Danny_Sparkle
Fair enough. I expected I'd be in the minority on this one.

Maybe I just can't see it. I mean, there's a track on Urban Hymns called 'This Time' which wouldn't sound out of plae on a Simple Minds album. And that just CAN'T be a good thing...

Of course if can be a good thing, if you like the Simple Minds!

I don't really see the comparison, I like some Simple Minds tunes, and I like This Time, but don't think they're similar.

Urban Hymns in my opinion is great, but Richard Ashcroft, as you say, is arrogant and in general (if you ask me) hasn't had a great solo career. Some killer, mostly filler.

...but he did write Weeping Willow, which is probably one of my top 50 favourite songs.
I'll always have a thing against The Verve for trying to pass BSS off as their own. Until then, I thought I was the minority - Andrew Loogoldham Orchestra fans who owned this beautiful little track (Bittersweet Sympathy).

I'm sure you understand how peed off I was when suddenly it was belting out of every radio station with Ashcroft groaning all over it. Out of order. Bang out of order...
Not really - a new reworking of a tune you love that pushes your musical boundaries a little.

Space and Time is a blinding tune, far better than what they released imo, listen to that with an open mind and you'll see why Urban Hymns is a deserved classic album

Or go back to Northern Soul, or the self titled "verve" album - both excellent as well.

Although his solo stuff is much weaker for me, never got into it at all
Quote by Danny_Sparkle
I think Richard Ashcroft is boring, not to mention over-rated. And he's so vain; he actually believes his own hype. Thinks he's something significant. In fact, now that I think about it, were The Verve really that good? Is Urban Hyms really a 'classic' album (as recently voted by Channel 4 viewers?

Maybe I'm alone here, but I'd like to know if any shares the sentiment...

well you're not a total minority...
Hi! Are you a home studio recordist in need mixing and/or mastering?

Want a FREE mix consultation?

CONTACT ME!

i agree. I like BSS but i downloaded 'the drugs don't work' because someone was going on about how much they loved it and i just find it completely boring. I think its because the thing that makes BSS so good is the string arrangement.
i dreamed i saw st. augustine
alive with fiery breath
and i dreamed i was amongst the ones
that put him out to death.
Download 'Bittersweet Sympathy' by The Andrew Loogoldham Orchestra and you'll see what a piece of theft BSS is. Seriously, if you haven't heard it before, it'll make you feel rather cheated - especially if you're a VERVE fan.
Quote by Danny_Sparkle
Download 'Bittersweet Sympathy' by The Andrew Loogoldham Orchestra and you'll see what a piece of theft BSS is. Seriously, if you haven't heard it before, it'll make you feel rather cheated - especially if you're a VERVE fan.

Not really no.

Thats like saying to an Eminem fan who'd never heard the Martika original of Toy Soldiers that they'd feel cheated. They wouldn't.

People use other songs all the time and re-work them to suit their needs. Get over it man, it happens everywhere you look every day.

Plus if the only fact it pisses you off is that it means you can't be "one of the few" who likes that particular song, then did you ever think of it from the other side of the coin, that Ashcrofts cover made a lot of people think "wow I wonder what the original was like" and go out and find it, and expand their own musical horizons a little? I know I did, I know a lot of my friends did, and in my opinion the only people who would see that as a bad thing would be pretty dull pretentious people who like to like things just because no-one else has heard of them...
i advise u people to listen to 'why do lovers' from richards new album.

i cant listen to that and think 'nothing special'
I didn't like the Verve either and Richard Ashcroft aint really anything special so I agree with threadstarter.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
I do believe the threadstarter should actually listen to the album before making wild allegations!

Sure Richard Ascroft's solo career can be a bore but Urban Hymns hasn't been praised for the last 10 years for nothing. It's really a great, classic album and will be remembered in time to come. This album shows that he is capable of producing a high standard of work but of course with the aid of the rest of the Verve..
Last edited by Goon at May 7, 2006,
The new album of his is utter crap, and I do kind of agree with the threadstarter, he is pretty boring. However, he has written some great stuff as well, so he's kind of middle of the road in my opinion.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
No way is he boring. He's written some of the greatest stuff I've ever heard. One of the best songwriters of the 90's by a long shot.
I saw him open for coldplay. I don't know any of his older stuff, but he was extremely arrogant (I thought, for someone who's opening for coldplay). I dodn't like him all that much, but with the accent he grew on me during the preformance :P
Always a Revolution