Ok, I've been on the fence about this for a while, so I'll let you guys help me in my decision. First, just as a background, I'm 27 years old with very limited access to tools. Also, I'm retarded when it comes to woodcrafting, which is inexplicable since both my grandfather and my father are very good at it (my father builds cabinets for a living and canoes as a hobby). Anyway... I'm looking to get a Telecaster. My question is, should I get an American Standard or its G&L equivalent from a store, or should I buy parts and a finished body and neck from a place like Warmoth and do it myself? I like the authentic Tele look, but with a really nice top, I'd go with a rear-routed body. Also, are there any other places you can suggest that supply custom bodies and necks like Warmoth? Thanks for the help.
Hi, I'm Peter
well g&l was what leo fender made after fenders, so technically the teles in them should be better, but try em both for yourself, see which you like.
Fender American Deluxe Ash Stratocaster (2000)
Fender Classic Player 60's Stratocaster
Marshall JCM900 100w head & 4x12 cab

Korg DT-10 Tuner; Boss DD-3 Digital Delay; Jim Dunlop JH-1B Wah; Boss RT-20 Rotary Ensemble; MXR EVH Phase 90.
I suppose you need to decide how much control you want in how the guitar is constructed and designed. If you just want a tele, buy one made (G&L IMHO). If you're going to be particular about neck radii, fret size, weight, materials, pickups, trem, etc... then you should assemble your own. You can buy pretty much all the parts you would need ready to be screwed/bolted together so it wouldn't take a genius to get a guitar out of it.

Cost would probably be close depending on your choice of pickups.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I vote Warmoth, but maybe you should save a little more and look for a local luthier?

You know you deserve a full-custom, Pete.
Quote by Mudder
I suppose you need to decide how much control you want in how the guitar is constructed and designed. If you just want a tele, buy one made (G&L IMHO). If you're going to be particular about neck radii, fret size, weight, materials, pickups, trem, etc... then you should assemble your own. You can buy pretty much all the parts you would need ready to be screwed/bolted together so it wouldn't take a genius to get a guitar out of it.

Cost would probably be close depending on your choice of pickups.

Thanks to you and Danno.

The problem is, I'm not a guitar shop guy. I don't know the radius of the neck on my Strat or my PRS, so I couldn't tell you if prefer one over the other. My main concern is I know what sound I'm looking for (the classic Tele sound) and I know that I was a maple neck with a maple fretboard, and either an alder or swamp ash body with some sort of figured maple top. Maybe I should take some time to play some guitars with different neck sizes and radii and all that to figure out what I really prefer. That's what's holding me back from just going custom -- I'm so *not* particular that I couldn't tell the person exactly what I'm looking for.
Hi, I'm Peter
dirk its a really hard question to answer.

if there's something u hate about fender then i guess u can make it urself. i honestly like fender, dont have access to g&l and find warmoth expensive.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565
dirk its a really hard question to answer.

if there's something u hate about fender then i guess u can make it urself. i honestly like fender, dont have access to g&l and find warmoth expensive.

Yeah, I know it's a hard question, unfortunately. And there's nothing I particularly hate about Fender, I'm just particular about some things and not so particular about others. It's a weird dichotomy. *Sigh* I'm the guy who takes 30 minutes to pick out something at a restaurant.
Hi, I'm Peter
i'm chronically indecisive too...

best thing is to look up guitars on the internet, find out what their radius specs etc. are, and then try to get to try them in a shop.

if you want to go the custom route...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
eBay man. You can get a huge variety of excellent stuff, for way cheaper
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Who are some reputable people to deal with on Ebay? I don't want to waste money on a neck that's finished poorly or a body made with crap wood.
Hi, I'm Peter
I have to say warmoth.

Id spend a fair amount of time playing as many guitars as you can, the body is fairly straight forward but when it comes to the neck we all have our own preferences (i still havnt played anything as cumfy as me sheraton )

Maybe you could look into a luthier built neck? Just because a luthier would be alot more personal and would probably be able to make something that is perfect.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side