Page 1 of 2
I have 2500 dollars to spend on a Gibson Les Paul. Since there are so many, could you guys reccomend me some to try? Preferably with a 60's neck please.....

Thanks in advanced
Hmmm... I'm not a fan of 60s necks but seriously, go and try everything, and don't get a studio.
Thanks for reading
Buy the one that you like the best. If you are spending that much on an instrument, play alot of them, and narrow your choices down by which one you like the most.
Quote by gpderek09
because geoff owns your soul. duh.
Well a Classic gets my vote. They seem to have higher quality then Standards. Also youll have money to upgrade pickups and so on.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Either get 2 LP Studios (Gothic II with the EMGs + regular Studio) or a Standard with BurstBucker Pros or Standard LE? Most of those models come with either the 50s or 60s necks and different PUs. Go to GC, play them all, and haggle down the price ... specially towards the end of the month.
For that price, you're looking at a Standard, Classic, or Studio.

Quote by chrisbeevor
Hmmm... I'm not a fan of 60s necks but seriously, go and try everything, and don't get a studio.

And what qualifies that dumbass comment? Other than pickups and cosmetics, the Studio is identical to the Standard. Jeez. You really believe that the price tag determines the quality of the final product?
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by Crunchmeister
For that price, you're looking at a Standard, Classic, or Studio.

And what qualifies that dumbass comment. Other than pickups and cosmetics, the Studio is identical to the Standard.

Hahahahaha, I don't think you should be callin anyone a dumbass, that guy was right

Studios are nothing like a standard.... Lower quality wood... yeah the worse pickups.. cheaper hardware... and the worst of all, the thinner body (by quite a bit) makes it loose a lot of that great les paul tone... It pretty much makes it not sound like a les paul was meant to sound like - play one, they are rather thin sounding
I have an Ebony Standard I paid 1400 for off of eBay and it rocks. eBay you get the most for your money.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
^Well are you sure you ahevnt mixed it uo with a Special? The Specials are quite bad. But the Studios are alot of bang for the bucks.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^Well you can today. the quality is lower. I get a classic or a Standard faded (it just a sanded down stadnard, wich ha the price of a classic) and new pickups.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by shorter_rocker
Hahahahaha, I don't think you should be callin anyone a dumbass, that guy was right

Studios are nothing like a standard.... Lower quality wood... yeah the worse pickups.. cheaper hardware... and the worst of all, the thinner body (by quite a bit) makes it loose a lot of that great les paul tone... It pretty much makes it not sound like a les paul was meant to sound like - play one, they are rather thin sounding

What you've jsut described is the Les Paul Special. Studios are NOT made of cheaper woods (that's the LP Special). They're mad eof the same Grade A mahogany and maple as the standard. They're not thinner, and they certainly don't have cheaper hardware. The only thing 'different' in terms of wood is the carved maple cap is made of plain maple rather than highly figured maple. The tone is unchanged by this.

I've been playing guitar 19 years. I've played more Les Pauls than you've probably seen. I've owned a couple of Standards over the years, and my current LP Studio (yes, I actually OWN one) is actually one of the best sounding Les Pauls that I've played in years.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

I actually prefer Gibson Customs best quality i have played and i like the studios i actually prfer them to the standards
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
^
"They're mad eof the same Grade A mahogany and maple as the standard. "

According to Gibson's website the standard has a AA maple top and the studio is unspecified. But you are right that the studios are the same thickness and it really doesn't have an effect on tone.
Quote by RHCP94
It's an option for the "Which one of E Daws parents are uglier?" thread.
Quote by E Daws
^
"They're mad eof the same Grade A mahogany and maple as the standard. "

According to Gibson's website the standard has a AA maple top and the studio is unspecified. But you are right that the studios are the same thickness and it really doesn't have an effect on tone.

The higher grade maple top on the Standards is figured maple. It's only difference is the aesthetic quality. Whether it's quilt, curl, birdseyey, or flame maple, it all sounds the pretty much the same. It just looks different. The fancier it looks, the more you pay.

Notice that the top on the LP classic is actually only 'carved maple' as well, which is one reason it's cheaper.

If I had $2500 to spend on a guitar I wouldn't need anyone's opinions on what to buy!
Quote by Gabel
^Well you can today. the quality is lower. I get a classic or a Standard faded (it just a sanded down stadnard, wich ha the price of a classic) and new pickups.

Yeah, that is why eBay rocks. You can go on there and buy one from the 90's for less than a new standard and get a better guitar.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Quote by Liam Alan
Yeah, that is why eBay rocks. You can go on there and buy one from the 90's for less than a new standard and get a better guitar.

But on ebay you never know exactly what you're getting. It's best to play the guitar. I'm saving up to buy a LP standard. I'm only 16 so spending an extra $1000 on a custom or a supreme isn't worth it to me if I can find a standard that I like.
Quote by FlyF1402
But on ebay you never know exactly what you're getting. It's best to play the guitar. I'm saving up to buy a LP standard. I'm only 16 so spending an extra $1000 on a custom or a supreme isn't worth it to me if I can find a standard that I like.

You get one you love and it will last you forever.
I would suggest that you go to a guitar store with LOTS of Gibsons and try every single one that catches your eye. If you're looking to spend $2500, you better be damn sure that you absolutely love the the guitar your buying. Don't let people's opinions influence your decision on which to get. Just because someone says "Oh LP Studios suck" doesn't mean they ALL do. Every now and then a lemon slips through in production.

Go try everything you can and pick what you like best.

-Xenn99
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Make sure the LP you try out(and like) is the one that you buy. They vary greatly.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
how big is the difference between the 50's and 60's neck? is the 60's neck as tapered as, say, a strat's?
Its not as tapered as a strat. The 50's neck is incredibly fat, to much for my taste.
Quote by Gabel

don't believe everything you hear. Even if it is true, its nowhere NEAR as bad as people make it out to be. Most people just repeat what they've hear so if one person says it, 10 people who read it will tell another 10 people. So now you have 100 people who believe what one person says.
I have the 50s rounded neck on my LP Studio. It's fatter than the necks on my other 4 guitars, but not to the point of it becoming a nuisance while playing.

Quote by Gutch220
don't believe everything you hear. Even if it is true, its nowhere NEAR as bad as people make it out to be. Most people just repeat what they've hear so if one person says it, 10 people who read it will tell another 10 people. So now you have 100 people who believe what one person says.

Well rahter i shoudl say: If youre unlucky you can. Ive tried loads of great Gibsons, but a few are quite bad. The reason people say this is that if you buy a guitar for 100$ YOu dont expect to much, but if you buy a guitar for 2500$ you expect perfection. Most of the Gibsons are great, just make shure you try alot of them.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

I'd say most Gibsons are mere average, with a few exceptional ones. The catch is that there are more duds than there are exceptional guitars. And when you're paying over $2k for a guitar, that should never be the case. I've yet to see a dud from ESP (not LTD) or other guitars that sell in that same price range.

^Still GIbsons arent as bad as people say them to be. But true, there are some duds. Ive tried some that wasnt bad, but just felt boring to play.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^Me? A Gibson that feels "boring" to play (the good Gibsons has some kind off nice feelign when you pick it up, feelign tah this guitar is worth the price). Duds are those that misses that feeling.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

So when the term ?dud? is used it has to do with playability and not sound? Is it possible that what seems like a dud to one person might work for another?
I recommend a Les Paul Standard but Dude... All guitars are different every single one. Dont get a epi and make sure that you play it well. Dont take a friend that doesnt like Les Pauls. Try to play every guitar and see which one you like most. Dont go for how your friends play the guitar and if they like it, Buy what you like. It could be the most strange guitar to others but to you its Heaven. Just go to a GC Play All The Les Pauls, and get one that you will keep forever. Dont let others opinons screw you out of a sweet guitar. Good Luck and make sure it is the best one there or the best one you like!

Have Fun!
Quote by flimflam
So when the term ?dud? is used it has to do with playability and not sound? Is it possible that what seems like a dud to one person might work for another?

Dud caan aply to soudn to, but you can always change the pickups. I woudl say a dud is one that lacks in quality. But a dud can vary from person to person.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

A dud Les Paul is a dud and there's nothing you can do about it. No pickups will save it. It usually happens when Gibson runs low on its supply of lightweight Honduran mahogany and switches to cheaper, heavier African mahogany. That's when you get these Les Pauls that weight 10-12 lbs. They will all look gorgeous and most will have no cosmetic flaws either. This cheaper wood will result in a guitar will less sustain, or a muddy, undefined tone.

The average weight for LP Stanards and Studios (and similar models like Classic, etc) is about 8-9 lbs, with the truly exceptional guitars weighing in at about 7.5-8 lbs. Guitars in this weight range usually have the most balanced tone and it the true 'Les Paul sound' that people buy these guitars for.

There are other problems with Gibsons sometimes, like bad fretboard binding or improperly filed frets that can occur on these 'better' lightweight guitars too. My LP Studio weighs in at 7.8 lbs, and sounds excellent. But it had a problem with the 18th fret not being filed down enough (requiring the action to be set really high to compensate) and had sharp edges on the 2nd and 3rd frets.

For me, this wasn't an issue since I'm comfortable doing fret work, but this was a show-stopper for the guitar's former owner who was unable to do the work, and unwilling to accept that his expensive Gibson had serious flaws. That was his big reason for selling it to me.

^I meant that if the souunds bad (because of teh pickups) then you cna change them.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Well, Gibson pickups are pretty good all around. Some aren't the best for certain types of music.But they're all good pickups.

Page 1 of 2