Hello fellow UGers,

After doing some research, I've narrowed myself down to these two amps, because they seem to be the best for my style and the price range. I play progressive metal, with a lot of lead guitar as well as clean open chords, so both a heavy crunch and clear cleans are needed (if nice cleans weren't needed, I would have a 6505 by now). I usually set my EQ up with a good amount of gain, mids around 6 for lead and 4 for rhythm, a lot of bass for a deep crunch, and enough highs to give it definition. Harsh sounding highs are definitely a no no.

My guitars: Peavey V-Type with Dimarzio Evolutions and Agile Septor with Dimarzio Blazes.

I've heard that the Carvin V3 sounds sort of lifeless and is overly hyped, and I've also heard that the JSX has an over-compressed distortion. What do you guys think I should go for?

And yes, I do play in a band. Well, I will be soon....

EDIT: I'll be using a EarCandy Buzzbomb 2x12 with Eminence Legends with the head. Just an extra tad of info...
[IMG]http://www.lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg[/IMG]
Last edited by guitarjared at May 4, 2006,
JSX. Didn't like the v3 too much when i tried it out. It didn't sound "lifeless" but it was a bit lack luster after all the hype and compared to the JSX
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
i prefer carvins to peaveys as a rule, although i havent tried either amp
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Bump.

Why is it that n00bs always get 50 replies for every topic they make about amp buying, yet people who actually know who they're talking about get 2?
Because not many people compare the V3 to a JSX? Not many people have played both, I would imagine.

I'd take the V3 over the JSX, mostly because I didn't like the JSX.

Maybe you should stop 'hearing' and start 'trying'

btw- a 5150 with a retube and a decent bias job will have great cleans, too. You shouldn't listen to everything you hear on the internets
Another choice(back to your initial choice)

A chorus pedal and a 6505+ . the peavey 6505+ has an extra pre amp tube that supposedly helps the clean channel(its ratehr noticable). And a Chorus pedal would really help out the 6505+s cleans
Well, order a V3 from Carvin. If you don't like it, send it back within 10 days for a refund!

Wouldn't a chorus pedal on a 6505+ just add chorus to the distortion? Sounds like a really bad comprimise.
RIP SYD
Member #6 of the "SZ over RG Club!" PM ibanez4lifeSZ to join.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Because not many people compare the V3 to a JSX? Not many people have played both, I would imagine.

I'd take the V3 over the JSX, mostly because I didn't like the JSX.

Maybe you should stop 'hearing' and start 'trying'

btw- a 5150 with a retube and a decent bias job will have great cleans, too. You shouldn't listen to everything you hear on the internets

Yeah, good point about not many people trying it out....

I've had no chances to try a V3....I live in small town Montana, the nearest V3 would probably be somewhere in Idaho or Washington, most likely more than 3 hours away. If I wasn't 16 and had gas money to make those trips, then I most certainly would. This lead guitarist from a metal band around here owns a JSX, but I still haven't been able to get a hold of him to see if I can try it.

I've tried 3 different 5150's, including a 5150 II. The gain blew me away (probably the best I've ever tried) but the cleans were lacking, as many have said...of course, I didn't have any compression or reverb pedals handy at the time either.

Which tubes would do the best job at giving a 6505+'s clean channel a kick in the ass? JJs, I'm guessing? I don't know too much about biasing, so some info on that would be sweet as well.

thx....
Quote by BobFromReboot
Well, order a V3 from Carvin. If you don't like it, send it back within 10 days for a refund!

Wouldn't a chorus pedal on a 6505+ just add chorus to the distortion? Sounds like a really bad comprimise.

adding a chorus to the clean channel not distortion
Well alot of the 'stale' tag the clean channel gets is due to the 5150's extremely cold bias.

The best thing you can do to a 5150 is get a bias pot installed. At that point, you have free reign to put ANY tube of that socket.. EL-34, 6L6, KT-88..

Now, when you crank an amp, it runs 'hotter'. If you bias this correctly amplifier, you can do the same thing... kind of. It will give you the same effect.

Now you can combine that with a nice matched set of tubes and really open the amplifier up.

I'm not saying that its a good idea- but you can certainly get better than 'decent' cleans out of it.

A retube, biasing, and maybe a reverb or chorus will give you a great clean tone. I get by with my clean as it is. Its no fender, but its certainly more respectable than alot of solid state amps and I'll even say its better than the clean on my boogie single rectifier.
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
Well alot of the 'stale' tag the clean channel gets is due to the 5150's extremely cold bias.

The best thing you can do to a 5150 is get a bias pot installed. At that point, you have free reign to put ANY tube of that socket.. EL-34, 6L6, KT-88..

Now, when you crank an amp, it runs 'hotter'. If you bias this correctly amplifier, you can do the same thing... kind of. It will give you the same effect.

Hmm...and how much would that cost?