so i'm looking for a good one on ebay. i want a combo. either a 2x12 or a 1x12. so my question is whats the sound or quality difference in having 2 or 1 speaker if there even is any. i'd think if there the same wattage (i think both models are 50watts) wouldn't the volume and sound be the same pretty much?

would a 1x12 be giggable (i guess if not i could just add another 2x12 speaker cab).

basically just tell me the differenced in sound between them.
the speaker makes it have a full stereo sound isntead of mono, and if im not mistaken, it evens out the sound on to speakers instead of overloading it into one
the 2x12 will have more presence I guess...it will be hard to notice with that amp..........even so I'd still go for the 2x12.

which models are you looking at?
i was looking at the 1x12 or the 2x12 combo that have the 2205 head (the one with dual channels and reverb) but i don't have to have that. i'd take a 1x12 or 2x12 with the 2204 single channel head (think they are called 4104 and 4010).

to be honest i could care less what model. i just want that jcm-800 sound and power. having the dual channel would just be a bonus.
A 212 sounds much fuller to me, a 112 always sounds too thin and kind of lame. Go 212 if you can.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
i know for a normal amp you'd probably be right, but were talking about a tube amp here. i need someone whos played the 1x12 to tell me if its suitable to gig. i've heard they can get so loud your ears bleed compared to solidstates.

also lets say i get a 4210 1x12 combo. its the exact same head as the 2205 stand alone head right so i could add more speakers later on to it if i wantd and it would work just as good as a regular 2205 head pushing more speakers...or am i going wrong here? for isntande...a 2205 50w lead head with a 2x12 cab is gonna sound the same as a 4210 1x12 combo with a 1x12 cab added to make it 2 12's?

thanks for anymore info.
also heres the amp i'm bidding on right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7411588789&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBI%3AIT&rd=1

i'm currently the high bidder but i know it won't stay that way. is this price fair for just a 1x12. there seems to be no difference in the selling price on ebay between the 1x12 and 2x12. so thats why i'm thinking the head is whats worth the money on these things.
Does the cat come with it?

Yes, it'll work for gigging, and it'll be plenty loud.
I'd suggest you go and try both, but this probably isn't very possible...
What're your playing styles?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by R_H_C_P
Does the cat come with it?

Yes, it'll work for gigging, and it'll be plenty loud.
I'd suggest you go and try both, but this probably isn't very possible...
What're your playing styles?

i'm a classic rock player...hendrix...guns n roses...led z....etc. so this amp is perfect for the sound i want. i'm just curious if the head on a 1x12 is exactly the same as on a 2x12...just minus the extra speaker under it...therefore letting me expand to how many speakers i want just like a regular stand alone head. thats my understanding...is that right?
so is $600 a fair price for one. seems you can't get a head or combo jcm 800 for under 700 bucks on ebay now. i've been traying to snag one for a few weeks to no avail. finally found one i'm leading at for $600 with 20 hours left...course i'm sure someone will attempt to outbid me at the last minute.
Quote by bonchie1
so is $600 a fair price for one. seems you can't get a head or combo jcm 800 for under 700 bucks on ebay now. i've been traying to snag one for a few weeks to no avail. finally found one i'm leading at for $600 with 20 hours left...course i'm sure someone will attempt to outbid me at the last minute.

check out craiglist.org
i just snagged an all original 1981 JCM 800 4020 combo for $500 from there
Quote by bonchie1
i know for a normal amp you'd probably be right, but were talking about a tube amp here. i need someone whos played the 1x12 to tell me if its suitable to gig. i've heard they can get so loud your ears bleed compared to solidstates.

also lets say i get a 4210 1x12 combo. its the exact same head as the 2205 stand alone head right so i could add more speakers later on to it if i wantd and it would work just as good as a regular 2205 head pushing more speakers...or am i going wrong here? for isntande...a 2205 50w lead head with a 2x12 cab is gonna sound the same as a 4210 1x12 combo with a 1x12 cab added to make it 2 12's?

thanks for anymore info.

No, I prefer a 2x12 or 4x12. You need the extra speakers. Its not about the wattage, really, its the number of speakers. Having a 1x12 cranked is going to be pretty directional.. whereas a 4x12 will spread it better than just one speaker. Its not nesscarily 50 tube watts vs 100 ss watts, because they're both loud as hell, but the number of speakers and the nature of the amplifier make up the biggest differences.

But you're right about the combos and heads... but the dimensions of the cabs will make it sound different.

1x12 amps and cabs are different sizes depending on the amp and cab... Having a 1x12 combo and a 1x12 extension cab will produce a different tone than a head and a combo just because of the cab dimensions.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at May 6, 2006,
alright...although thats not really a big concern. if worse came to worse i could add a 2x12 cab (always tons of them on ebay) under the 1x12 combo and get bascially almost a halfstack. i think the 1x12 will do fine for what i need though.

another question. does the 4210 (2205 head) clip a diode to create distortion. i hear some later model jcm's did. wondering if this one does or is it truly all tube. and if it does whats the sound difference between a jcm that does or doesn't clip a diode to help create distortion.
oh yeah and the amp was made in 1982...if that gives any insight into whether it uses a diode or not.
the diodes are used for clipping, not amplification so its still a tube amp. OD pedals use diodes to clip so look at it that way. In 1982, I don't think they used them yet. Don't be so put off by these diodes, many people used the 800's with clipping diodes such as Tom Morello, and Slash. Its just a tone preference
Last edited by Gutch220 at May 6, 2006,
Quote by Gutch220
the diodes are used for clipping, not amplification so its still a tube amp. OD pedals use diodes to clip so look at it that way. In 1982, I don't think they used them yet. Don't be so put off by these diodes, many people used the 800's with clipping diodes such as Tom Morello, and Slash.

thanks...thats what i thought, but i had heard so many different opinions.
Quote by bonchie1
oh yeah and the amp was made in 1982...if that gives any insight into whether it uses a diode or not.

Mine has a diode and was made in 83'.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
well...i havnt read most of this thread. but to touch on the whole 1 or 2 speakers...:

i say two.

instead of going to the single speaker and getting an extenstion cab...why not just get the 2x12 combo so you wont have to get the extension later on??
Quote by kurdtkobaign
well...i havnt read most of this thread. but to touch on the whole 1 or 2 speakers...:

i say two.

instead of going to the single speaker and getting an extenstion cab...why not just get the 2x12 combo so you wont have to get the extension later on??

because the jcm800's are hard to come by and you can't just go out and buy them. 2x12, 1x12...whatever i can get my hands on is pretty much what i'm gonna buy.

i actually was 30 seconds from winning an auction on ebay for a 4210 and some clown outbid me at the last possible second. pissed me off so bad.
^thats what you need to do, wait untill the last moment then bid, there's no need to bid with a few days left, that just drives up the price. The person who wants it the most will offer the most money. You have to ask yourself if its worth more to you than market value, especially if its a hard to find item.
Quote by Gutch220
^thats what you need to do, wait untill the last moment then bid, there's no need to bid with a few days left, that just drives up the price. The person who wants it the most will offer the most money. You have to ask yourself if its worth more to you than market value, especially if its a hard to find item.

i'd like to get one for about $600 but it seems they are going for no less then $700 on ebay right now.

quick question...i found one that i think i can get for about $650. it had a voodoo mod on it that has a switch that lets you achieve higher gains for metal...i don't really care about that but is anyone familiar with these mods and whether they effect anything else besides just adding an extra tube to get higher gains.

its a 4104 single channel and it seems one of the inputs was replaced to put this switch in. its the top input that was replaced. with this mod could i still turn the gain down and get some dirty cleans or does this mod effect that in any way?
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
No, I prefer a 2x12 or 4x12. You need the extra speakers. Its not about the wattage, really, its the number of speakers. Having a 1x12 cranked is going to be pretty directional.. whereas a 4x12 will spread it better than just one speaker. Its not nesscarily 50 tube watts vs 100 ss watts, because they're both loud as hell, but the number of speakers and the nature of the amplifier make up the biggest differences.

But you're right about the combos and heads... but the dimensions of the cabs will make it sound different.

1x12 amps and cabs are different sizes depending on the amp and cab... Having a 1x12 combo and a 1x12 extension cab will produce a different tone than a head and a combo just because of the cab dimensions.

absolutely correct.

besides a 1x12 lacking bass and overall "thump", if youre playing a gig with a lot of people...its going to sound like ass if you dont have it mic'd.

Bodies soak up sound waves very well. the kids in the front would be blasted by this combo because you have to crank the hell out of it *wattage doesnt matter at this point* and the kids in back only barely hear a mooshy sounding amp.

2x12 or 4x12 cabs spread the sound waves a lot better. so theres a more even sound throughout the whole room, and you dont have to crank the amp as much. this way the kids in the front arent blasted by your amp but yet the kids in the back can hear it a lot better.

if you do score a 1x12 JCM800 i recommend an extension cab.

sry if this all didnt make sense to anyone...ive only just woke up.