Page 1 of 2
I played one (yes one of the 1k+ models) and the EA strings were really quite compared to the DG strings. It's tone was also not a whole lot better than the american jazz bass I played.
yes
you are the only one
jk i love how they look especialy the desert gold color ones but ive never played one, as shakespeare would say i love it with my eyes lol
"This is The End, beautiful friend, The End"
Quote by Ihearthetfield
I played one (yes one of the 1k+ models) and the EA strings were really quite compared to the DG strings. It's tone was also not a whole lot better than the american jazz bass I played.

so, you're saying "i hate stingrays" when you think they sound better than an american fender, which costs over a grand as well. so...why not call the post "i hate fender jazz basses" instead? as for the quiet e and a strings, have you ever dealt with active electronics? that could be a part of the problem for you. i just find it hard to imagine that someone wouldn't like them.
i dont like them. i like the neck and the look, but i just don't like the sound.
Quote by rich_sg
She wont even add me Damn, I was hoping to score some ChubbyCyber.:
Um, sorry buddy, but Stingray's are renown for a quiet G and sometimes D string. So if you have a quiet E and A you really had some ****ed up EQ settings.

Coming from an owner of a Stingray, the only time the quiet G is really noticable is when popping. Pickstyle and fingerstyle sound have the same volume.

Sheesh.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
im not gonna say it was a crappy bass, but yeah when i tryed the over a grand stingray they had in my shop, i wasnt impressed.

nothing i couldnt find on any 800 dollar bass in the shop.
You probably are the only person who hates stingrays.

Punchy, active and beautiful.

Howabout Bongos?
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Why so? HH is great for slapping tone. I prefer them because of that.

(*Waiting for reply from UtB Dan*)

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
No one noticed my pwnage?

Bongos look much better in my opinion when being played then photographed seperatley.

The only basses I have played approaching Stingray/Bongo/Sterling quality are spectors.

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

Quote by Trell
I'm sure they sound great but bongos are, in my opinion, the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.

BC richs look like anal leakage yet thousands of people buy them?

see a trend? (except bongo's are actually good )
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
FINALLY! Someone else who thinks B.C. Riches suck!

>>>> UPDATE! Yup, your still the only person who hates stingrays.

plenty of people who hate Stingrays.

None of them live here apparently. lol
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Thats all, Dan? I wouldve expected more of grilling from someone like you.

I still dont understand how anyone could dislike the tone of a Stingray.

Thank you for still being cool, Final.

MMs are like Fenders... They've had decades to iron out the wrinkles.

I'm a big fan of stingrays, I used to hate them, but now I want one I think they look better than the bongo too.
Gear

Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Fender MIA Precision
Musicman Bongo
Boss TU-2
EBS TD650
EBS ProLine 2x10 x 2
I like Stringays, the neck more than anything else really. I liked the tone, but the neck was lovely!

I'm sure people out there hate Stringrays... read somewhere the bassist from New Found Glory did.
The title of this thread is like a knife in my back. Stingrays are one of the best electric basses ever made. First to use active electronics too. I'd say you were in the minority, but not alone. Although the rest of you are in a mental institute, so watch out for the men with the white coats..

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
I don't care for them either. Its not that I think they are bad basses, but its the same as my opinion with Fenders. Well-made, good sound, but I hate the feel of them, and the balance. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them, I just don't like playing them. Then again, I'm a sucker for a thin neck, and not many Fenders (except the Geddy J-bass) or (at least in my experience) Stingrays have a particularly thin neck. Besides, I love my Schecter Elite, and wouldn't give it up for the world.
Now introducing: thefitz: thegame. It's what all the cool kids are playing!

For rules and details please see thefitz's signature. Fett13 Inc. is not responsible for any injuries or loss of life resulting from thefitz: thegame
©2008 Fett13 Inc.
I love stingrays- i was playing one in sound control in london recently, and it was amazing- great action, tone, feel- it was then i realized the price tag was £1600 ish.

Bongo's on the other hand... Nasty.

Alex
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by Fett13
I don't care for them either. Its not that I think they are bad basses, but its the same as my opinion with Fenders. Well-made, good sound, but I hate the feel of them, and the balance. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them, I just don't like playing them. Then again, I'm a sucker for a thin neck, and not many Fenders (except the Geddy J-bass) or (at least in my experience) Stingrays have a particularly thin neck. Besides, I love my Schecter Elite, and wouldn't give it up for the world.

this sums it up better than i can say it.

for me, using a stingray is just a lot HARDER than my sr505. neck wise anyway. i'm just not as fast on it, im not feeling it that well... i dunno what it is about it, but thats the way it is. and that applies to all musicmans ive tried (sub's/stingrays pretty much)
I've been in love with the EBMM Stingray 5 ever since I started playing bass. I've owned 3 copies, and I want a real one soon. Honeyburst with a white pearloid pickguard....mmmm....
For me, the thin, unvarnished neck is unbelievably fast. Feels much more at home than any other bass I've played.

Quote by crazypeanutman

Quote by bassbitch
The title of this thread is like a knife in my back. Stingrays are one of the best electric basses ever made. First to use active electronics too. I'd say you were in the minority, but not alone. Although the rest of you are in a mental institute, so watch out for the men with the white coats..

BB
x

Im not entirely sure about this, but weren't Alembic basses the first to utilize active electronics? Granted Stingrays were the first to bring active EQ basses to the masses (since Alembics are customized and cost a couple grand at the least), much like Fender brought bass guitars to the masses with the Pbass, but the Stingray, from what I know, was not the first to use them.

IMO, Stingrays are excellent instruments, but just don't feel right for me. The Jazz Bass is my fave of the old-school basses, and I also like some of the modern ones like the Soundgear (from Ibanez) and Stiletto (from Schecter). The Musicman just seems to "bulky" for me... I can't properly describe why they arent my favorite. However to say outright that you hate them and consider them horrible shouldn't be said unless you have solid facts/reasons for saying so aside from some of the strings sounding quiet and the tone not as good as a top-of-the-line fender.
Once you get to the top, the only way to go is down.
I don't really like the appearance of them, but I wouldn't say they sound crappy or anything. Wouldn't buy one myself though.
are there stingrays with multiple pick-ups? i think that would make me think stingrays rock, I just like to play near my neck
Stingray, Stingray... there be a lot of power in thy name...

My cuz has a souped up '96 Stingray. Silver wires, customized electronics... tube preamp... It's the best Stingray I've ever seen and held in my life. New ones are kinda pop. Though the looks are awesome, if I had a thousand bucks, i'd get a Corvette. The active/passive switch is really handy!

Stingray became a classic over the years, an ethalon so to speak
Stingrays are asome, and I think they look better than the Bongos.

I think the Bongos look too futuristic.
Bass is my life.
Stingrays sound great. I'd love to have a bongo though. They look so different to all the rest, and have a great sound
I horribly fell in love with a used Stingray at my local music store. Nicest sounding bass I have ever heard, played beautifully, way out of my pricerange. Played it every damn day for a week until it was sold.

Didn't notice the quiet G thing to be honest. All I noticed was the sweet, smooth fingerstyle tone.

So... no, I don't hate Stingrays.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
You're definately the only one. I have a stingray and have actually been forced to flog 12 or 13 different people with it for touching it without my permission.
I would kill if my stingray asked me to.
Fury- Breathe in deep, and cleanse away our sins
And we'll pray that there's no God
To punish us, and make a fuss

Chalking up the frequent loser miles day by day.
i havnt had the joy of playing a stingray plugged in, but i dont like the feel either with the only pickup all the way at the bridge like that. ive also tried a fender american jazz and i really do prefer the 2 jazz singles as opposed to the one bridge humbucker.

although i know in my life, i'll probably end up owning 1 of both.
Ive had the opprotunity to play both a 76' stingray and a 61' Jazz... I prefer the feel of the stingray.

i love the stringrays tone, but the neck is to "chunky", and im more of a thin neck person
Quote by Virgil_Hart05
to be honest I think his hair looked awesome long, and he was quite sextastic to be honest... I'd do him

haha, you'd do me....

The Tim Sawyer of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.
Page 1 of 2