Ok lets say I have a 2 channel tube amp (lets say a traynor YCV40 or something like that that does good rock) clean/overdrive that doesn't get into metal stuff.

First : If I use an overdrive pedal would I be able to get to that metal tone using the overdrive channel ?

Second question : when I would switch back to the clean channel, what would it do? Would I have to turn off overdrive pedal at the same time?
no, and yes. if you want metal tone you need a pedal specifically for metal, like the boss mt-2 or something. if you want your clean channel back on you need to turn off your pedal and be on the clean channel. and i woulnt reccomend running a pedal through your amps overdrive channel, all you'd get is feedback.
The Gear:

Custom Strat
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Ace
Fulltone OCD
Electro Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
MXR EVH-117 Flanger
Fulltone Soul Bender
Definetely don't run the pedal through the overdrive channel. Just have it on the clean channel and switch it on/off.
the lesser known of the 4
but isn't an overdrive pedal supposed to push the tubes harder to make them distort even more then they already do??...

notice that I'm not talking about distortion pedal but overdrive pedal...
You can use boosts on both channels
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Go buy one off ebay, theyre cheap enough and plentiful. If you rool back the drive or gain on the OD pedal through your dirty channel, yu should get a "manageable" tone.
I say manageble, because tone is very subjective as to what sounds pleasing to the ears. But to answer your question, yes, an OD pedal is designed to OVERDRIVE the tubes.
Quote by 5thhorseman
Definetely don't run the pedal through the overdrive channel. Just have it on the clean channel and switch it on/off.

what the heck are you talking about?

this would be semi-true if you were talking about low-end pseudo valve amps that feature a cross section, tube preamp and solid state power section.

HOWEVER

the traynor ycv(mentioned by the threadstarter) features an all tube power and preamp section.

an overdrive pedal married with a tube amp promotes and delivers cascading distortion caused by preamp stage clipping.
Quote by jpetrucci5655
"get a tube amp or i will hire a huge-dicked-hermaphrodite to come rape ur cornhole."

Quote by xmurderoticax
I just got a line 6 flextone head and a spider II body.
Quote by 5thhorseman

thats pretty much what a distortion pedal does, not a true OD pedal
Quote by finallink7
I use a Tube Screamer with my overdrive channnel and it helps me get the metal sound im looking for but i think i might replace it with the new mxr pedal thats coming out

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=151126

that looks really neat...i cant wait to try one out
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Because when I was younger I would wrap dollar bills around my wang while masturbating to get that extra dirty feeling.

Even though I quit doing it, it still turns me on when I see money.

Http://magnumman.dmusic.com
why?

why would you replace your ts9 with that overhyped piece of garbage?

instead, save some money, send your ts9 to keeley and get it modded up to 808 spec with the baked-mod(three times the saturation).

www.rkfx.com
Quote by jpetrucci5655
"get a tube amp or i will hire a huge-dicked-hermaphrodite to come rape ur cornhole."

Quote by xmurderoticax
I just got a line 6 flextone head and a spider II body.
All I know is my Keeley Compressor and Ts 808 Tubscreamer with mod+ and TB kick some serious ass! And i'm not talking about half ass tone all Loud and Synthetic. I'm talking about rich creamy gobs of sweet or menacing tone. Trust me your interest in music will change over time. would'nt you rather invest in great gear now that will inspire you forever or do you just want to keep on buying stuff and trading buying stuff and trading buying stuff and trading. I learned that way and I can honestly testify that keeley haS GOT IT SO RIGHT YOU WONT BELIEVE YOUR EARS!..You can even call and thank him! Peace!
Quote by Trapman870
no, and yes. if you want metal tone you need a pedal specifically for metal, like the boss mt-2 or something.i woulnt reccomend running a pedal through your amps overdrive channel, all you'd get is feedback.

Wrong.

I've heard the Keeley stuff is great too, and if you know how to work pedals.... you can use it on the overdrive channel to get more gain and to boost the amp.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Quote by unitedkid
what the heck are you talking about?

this would be semi-true if you were talking about low-end pseudo valve amps that feature a cross section, tube preamp and solid state power section.

HOWEVER

the traynor ycv(mentioned by the threadstarter) features an all tube power and preamp section.

an overdrive pedal married with a tube amp promotes and delivers cascading distortion caused by preamp stage clipping.

I definetely didn't read it right. My bad.
the lesser known of the 4
Quote by R_H_C_P
Wrong.

I've heard the Keeley stuff is great too, and if you know how to work pedals.... you can use it on the overdrive channel to get more gain and to boost the amp.

Agreed, Keeley does great mods, but they're not cheap at all...
Quote by MavataR
thats one hell of a find. Did it have change in the case? cause you probably stole it from a busker who was off taking a piss.

so what settings on a boss SD-1 should i use to get a metal tone on a JCM 800 4020? right now i have the level almost maxed, drive maxed and the tone at about 11 o'clock and i get a good metal tone but too much feedback to be manigable. Would a Noise supressor solve that problem or is there a way to do it with out the Noise Supressor?