Another day, another thread, some expierience, some questions and some dumbness .

First: Experience
2 Days before, in my favourite local music store. I was there to get my bass a new setup because it rattles a bit and the last adjustment was when i bought it 4 months before in Winter (you know... materials expand by higher temperature ^^). I asked the guy for some restring-advice, we restringed the bass together and of course i wanted to play it RIGHT NOW.

So.. music store, i plugged it into a Markbass Littlemark II with some MarkBass Cab (dont know wich one anymore, some with orange speakers ) and the sound was.... powerful, clear, crispy and just sexy, exactly what i can't get out of my cube... Even when Gain was at 1/8 and Volume at 1/4 and the Active PU of my Ibanez turned down, it was so loud that talking in the store was quite difficult... and i just looove the sound of my own (not some 1500$$ uber bass) bass with this amp.

Reaction: I need this amp... now, cmon i know it, this is my amp (ok enough..)
Sooo i thought of buying the Little Mark 250 (you know, poor student) but i think i really can't afford a markbass cab. Wich cab i should use with the Amp? I thought of a 4x10" would be the best choice for me and my style of music (the markbass 4x10 costs 1000 bucks...). So, wich cab?

Another Question: How much Watt do i really need? i mean... 250W should be way enough to scare the hell out of my band mates (we have no drum amplification or something) and if I'm playing a bigger Gig they should have a PA anyway, i could use my Amp as a Monitor. On the other side 500W (The Little Mark II i've played) are 500W.... I don't know if the 500W are really worth the money.. i mean for the purpose they shall serve...

Question Number 3: Now about my Bass, an Jewel Blue Ibanez GSR 200... the only thing i really dislike at this beauty... it can't be played without a battery plugged to it... is there maybe any way of working around the PU amplifier, tobe still playable without battery?

this should be it... g'day to all, and rockon
i love it when you hate the world ~ Zuko
I think you should get the 250W. Unless you're playing stadium anytime soon, 250W will suit your needs more than adequately.

1) Cab wise, some nice reletively inexpensive 4x10 speakers I've worked with come from Ashdown, Trace Elliot and a few others.

2) As you rightly noticed, you'll be going through the PA anyways. I mean, I sometimes don't even use backline during a gig, going direct into PA via a Bass Pod and rely on the monitoring. You can of course use both backline and monitoring.
Your backline should be mainly there for your purpose, not for the audience to hear. The PA should be doing this (why make your amp work hard? ).

3) If you've got a battery, you have an active pre-amp/pickups which needs to be powered. Unless you got a bass where you can switch this off, and potentially run passively, you will need a battery.

You could either make sure your next bass is passive, or is an active but has an active/passive switch. Otherwise, you will still need a battery.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it would be possible to run a bass from AC power supply, unless you get some equipment to convert it.... The battery would be more convinent.
Last edited by shut_up_you_*** at May 5, 2006,
thx for your advice.. i thought of using a Hartke VX410 cab with the Little Mark 250 this one . This way i would spend around 700-800? and getting at least some wattage... but what do you think of the cab? some reviews say its good, some say its bad, every one say the customer support sucks hell. I don't want a small 1 speaker combo, not only the optical impression is better if the speaker area is bigger .
The Gallien-Kruger 410SBX is a beauty, you could try that. I agree with shut up you ****, no need at all for 500w. The PA will take a feed from your amp and you only use your amp for monitoring on stage. waste of cash really mate..

I always use an amp and cab on stage, because i find it hard to hear my bass properly through the monitors on stage, but if you're ok with that then a Pod might be a good idea.

Other than that, everything shut up you **** said was sound advice

BB
x
Gear Lists Are For Boys Who Masturbate Too Much.
About the cab, go out and try it. It is a cheap cab, but you may like it. Online reviews suck for the most part, only use them to find out about a products reliability not tone. Remember that alot of the time people that write reviews are eithe getting paid to do it, really like the thing they are reviewing, or they really hate it.

EDIT: BTW, I have a 1x15" and I'm running at 240w right now, and that's good enough for small ourdoor gigs. I have alot of headroom left, and my sound still carries pretty far. And that's without mids too. So, you should be right with the 250w. But remember that if it's not running at the right impedance you won't get all the wattage out of it, like me. (I'm getting 240w out of a possible 350w.)
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
Last edited by TGM at May 5, 2006,
The VX410 is a decent cab for the price... I have it for over 2 years now and have used it a lot (at least once a week for a 2hour rehearsal, and over 30 gigs) and never had any problems, appart from a protection corner breaking (those plastic thingies) when I carried it down some stairs... Altough I must admit that there are some signs of tear from pushing it to the edge on stage. But keeping in mind that this is a very budget line, it does the job very well for the price you have to pay...
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
IMO you should go with the 500 watt, But if thats too loud, Get the 250 watt.

4x10/1x15 or an 8x10
Quote by TGM
EDIT: BTW, I have a 1x15" and I'm running at 240w right now, and that's good enough for small ourdoor gigs. I have alot of headroom left, and my sound still carries pretty far. And that's without mids too. So, you should be right with the 250w. But remember that if it's not running at the right impedance you won't get all the wattage out of it, like me. (I'm getting 240w out of a possible 350w.)

I know, i would get 180W @ 8Ohms and 250W @ 4Ohms. First i would only buy one cab (cos of the money) and later maybe add a second one (15" woofer or something other i like). And thx for the tipps, i think i have to pay the music store another visit ^^ lets see when i have time... but this is where the 500W would be useful, if I use 2 cabs and only have 250W this would be somewhere underpowered
Last edited by Lonely at May 5, 2006,
Quote by Lonely
thx for your advice.. i thought of using a Hartke VX410 cab with the Little Mark 250 this one . This way i would spend around 700-800? and getting at least some wattage... but what do you think of the cab? some reviews say its good, some say its bad, every one say the customer support sucks hell. I don't want a small 1 speaker combo, not only the optical impression is better if the speaker area is bigger .

they're not bad. they're the top cab in my stack. i'm looking at trading the 215 on bottom (also hartke) for a markbass 115.
the hartke vx410 sounds good, and i've got no complaints, but the 215 rattles it's own grating, which doesn't sound good. the 410 screws the grate down around the center, so there's not as much room for movement.