i'm ambidextrious and for me it normally breaks down that i do small motor skills with my right hand (writing, eating, masterbation, etc.) and large motor skills with my left (sports, driving, intense masterbation).

today one of my friends mentioned to me that maybe i am supposed to be a left because of the major things that i do on a daily basis most are done with my left and except writing and guitar.

i've been playing for a yearish righty mostly because that was what the first guitar that my mom bought me for chirstmas was. i have yet to try lefty at all.

just now i was playing around with my fingers and noticed that my right hand fingers move much much more independantly than my left. then i remembered what my friend said and i thought maybe. then i tried playing (fliping my guitar over) and noticed that even though my right hand played like an absolute beginner playing on a backwards guitar my legato seemed to show more potential then that of my current playings potential or ability.

so i am wondering could i be a lefty guitarist?
is it worth switching?
how do i find out if i am lefty? like is there some sort of skills test i can do for myself?

if i am i am totally gonna get me one of those micheal angelo batio guitars
dude thats awesome. id give my right arm to be ambidextrious
Last edited by mullet0023 at May 5, 2006,
learn to play both ways, and play one of those piamp double guitars micheal angelo batio plays (like u said)

muahah
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (Black Cherry)
Peavey 6505 Plus Head: 120W all-tube goodness
Peavey 6505 4x12 Slant Cab
Tacoma Somethin-or-other Acoustic (i bought it used)
Listen here. I have the exact same thing. I write, throw, and do things more accurately with my right hand. But for power i go left handed. E.g knife cutting, playing snooker.

So i decided to play left handed. I think i always knew i would anyway, despite everyone saying i should play "the proper" way. My right fingers, like yours, move a lot more independantly and my left hand is much stronger for thumping down on the strings.

I recommend strongly you switch, and try it out. Its always felt right for me, and im couldnt even play right if i tried.
ENGL Fireball
Framus 2x12
Ibanez RG1570 - DM Breeds
Epi Les Paul - Warthog Pup
MXR 10 Band EQ
TS9
ISP Decimator
Boss DD3
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Small Clone
Dunlop Crybaby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10rdcKp317I - New X-men Theme Vid
play lefty, if you make it big, people'll notice you more, but playing both can be good, especially if there are no lefties available.
I'm going to say just play right handed. There are more guitars, more guitar instruction manuals and more equipment set for right handed people. You're always rubbish to start with so it doesn't matter which you use - in your case just practice legato in the right handed playing position.
I might go with righty just because left-handed guitars are usually pretty expensive and can be hard to find.
Quote by TheHurricaneKid
I might go with righty just because left-handed guitars are usually pretty expensive and can be hard to find.

I totally agree. Being a lefty myself, I found it really frustrating to find a guitar that was left-handed and fit what I wanted. (thank GOD for Schecter!) I would go for right-hand if you're able to. You'll have a much easier time buying a guitar!
Quote by Chex
Listen here. I have the exact same thing. I write, throw, and do things more accurately with my right hand. But for power i go left handed. E.g knife cutting, playing snooker.

So i decided to play left handed. I think i always knew i would anyway, despite everyone saying i should play "the proper" way. My right fingers, like yours, move a lot more independantly and my left hand is much stronger for thumping down on the strings.

I recommend strongly you switch, and try it out. Its always felt right for me, and im couldnt even play right if i tried.

thats exactly what i've got going on dead on. thanx chex i am totally gonna learn it seeing as you've had the same experience and suggest that i do.

is there any advice you can give me for making the switch? problems you had or anything?
I'm pretty much opposite from you. I do the fine motor skills with my left and sports mostly with my right. I play a right-handed guitar beacuse I use my dextrous (sp?) hand, the left, for the job that requires more co-ordination. And my right hand, being more strong than the left, does the repetive motion of picking. So you should probably go for lefty guitars.
Quote by Nybb
Dude, I'm going to sig myself and see if anybody notices.
I'm a lefty that plays righty. I'm considering switching over just because it'd make me more unique sorta.
Guitars:
Fender Standard Strat
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass
Martin DX1

Amps:
Peavey Classic 50/212

Pedal Board:
Gator 8-Bus
Boss TU-2 Tuner
Digitech Bad Monkey
Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
ISP Decimator
Dual button footswitch
Always go right handed. I made the mistake of going lefty and it sucks. I spend more on guitars. If I want to play with people I have to bring my own guitar, not being able to play other peoples guitar is a real pain in the ass.