Hi

I searched for this problem but couldnt find anything to
help me, most of the time the solutions were to techinical
or I just didn't understand what the poeple were talking
about, I'm new to electric guitars...

I'll get to the point:
My guitar buzzez but when I touch the metal on the output jack it stops.
It also used to buzz when I touched the strings, but I diconnected the wire that runs to the thing my strings are connected to at the bridge, it now buzzez when I
touch any other metal on the plate, like the screw that hold the pick-ups in place.

I figured out it must be a grounding problem, but how can
I fix it? It seemed to have gotton worse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Even help on where to find help would be appreciated.

Lian
You say you disconnected the wire that runs from the bridge? I think that's the grounding wire, and you should solder it back on.
Oh crap!
Dont cut that wire, that wire is connected to the bridge for grounding purpose. Your body acts as the ground thus making the buzz dissapear, or reduces. Thats the main purpose of the wire, its soldered from the volume pot to the bridge.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
thanks for the replies,

but I did tried that before posting, the thing is, it buzzez when I touch the strings.
so: (with wire connected to metal bridge)
If I dont touch anything, it buzzez.
If I touch the jack, it stops.
If I touch the strings it buzzez like crazy.

any ideas?
what guitar issit? what kind of bridge does it have? it should be silent after you touch the strings...
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Its an old guitar, probably cheap aswell, as I said, just started.
Its a Hondo II, strat type guitar, 3 single coil pickups.

I thought their might be a quick answer, dont wanna waste your time
on an old guitar.

What kind of bridge? Its a solid piece of metal that the strings are attached to, bolted
to the body, no tremelo, hope I got the terminology correct.
Fixed bridge. Maybe you should change the strings coz i think the strings arent connected to the bridge, thus making the grounding stop at the bridge or metal parts and not the strings. Maybe its rusted in the ball bearings or maybe ur bridge is the one which is rusted or corroded.

If you're too lazy to do that, just take any keychains or extra wires and tie it from the metal parts to yourself . Might be scary if some short circuit happens... And probably ur guitar arent properly shielded. Do you play in front of the pc? try closing the monitor, does the buzz dissapear? Single coils are basically **** and noisy if its not properly shielded / potted.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at May 5, 2006,
I had this exact problem with my Jem VBK777...
I tmade an absolute hell of a racket - and was unplayable for a serious length of time...

I pulled a wire out of and old guitar lead and soldered it to the trem clasp and volume control - and now all is dead quiet.
^thats grounding the electronics which ts said he did it. (dunno if its correct though)...
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
It is a bit rusty and I haven't changed the strings in a while, so I'll clean it up a bit first.
Yes turning of my PC was one of the things I tried, this is much louder though, like holding
the guitar 2inches from the screen.

Thanks for the help.
L
Found the problem, the ring that the jack fits into was corroded, so didn't make proper contact, or no contact
at all if that possible.
Its dead silent now that I've cleaned it up.