Okay. I've finally managed to find out what direction i'll be heading in with my musical preferences and the interests of me and my band. Simply put, we're after a very Tool-eqsue feel for our music. I've done a bit of reading, and a bit of talking, and to get a similar (If not equally good) sound to that of Adam Jones from Tool, i would be well off going in the direction of a Marshall Amp (None of that combo crap, of course) - and if money was available a Mesa Boogie.

Well, money isn't available for Mesa's standards, but i'm in luck with the Marshall Department.

Here's my question - if i was to get a Marshall Amp for all purposes (jamming, gigging, you name it) for a low price - we're talking below $1500 AUD - which would you advise i should go for, based on the idea of getting a sound similar to Tool's?

(Please, as a note, i am not looking for comments from people about how they like the sound their amp produces, and that it's better than a Marshall, or that they don't like/know Tool - my Laney HCM30R can get a Tool-esque sound when it's modded to hell with pedals - I'm after intelligent, experienced player's advice that know what i and themselves are talking about.)

PS: Don't even think about mentioning an MG series amp.

Thanks heaps in advance,
Kikuta
Last edited by Kikuta at May 5, 2006,
i vote you get a marshall cos there sound is awesome and so many good players use them (espesh slash) and i doubt hes lying when he says he doesnt sound like him without a marshalll. so get one but there ****ing expensive. tip: go on ebay and look
haha..........tool. what a **** band name. you no, tool....as in, dick get it,with..with the tool.......

meh.

i see, so here come the marshall amp threads for the day!! there must be at least 100 a day.
>>Metal_Fretter<<

My gear:
Ibanez S470
Roland cube 30
Boss PW-10 v-wah
Marshall jackhammer
i'd go for a DSL. you can only get a combo though, i live in aus. its 1400 for the 40 watt combo.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
No offense, but thanks for two absolutely useless replies.

_futurerockstar - i couldn't give the slightest s*** about which 'good' players use Marshall. I'm trying to found out which one is for ME.

metal_fretter - i have no idea what the hell is wrong with asking for advice. So there are 100's of marshall threads a day, you don't have to read them. And no, i don't appreciate you coming here just to bash my favourite band.

On the other hand, thanks Joel - i really don't want to settle for another Combo amp. If my budget needs to be stretched, it may be possible. If you can reccomend a cheap, yet suitable Head/Cab amp for the style of music i'm going for, i'd be glad to know.
Last edited by Kikuta at May 5, 2006,
^^^talk about useless posts

Anyway, this link http://guitargeek.com/rigview/593/ shows Adam's rig. As you can see, he uses a Mesa-Boogie and a Marshall super bass amp (why, I have no clue). So if you're looking for his exact rig, there it is, or at least something close to it. I guess your best bet would be to buy a Marshall cab, maybe one of the JCM ones. But keep in mind that a lot of studio Tool sound is heavily processed, so it is kind of hard to get their exact sound.
Oh crap!
Quote by pant weasel
^^^talk about useless posts

Anyway, this link http://guitargeek.com/rigview/593/ shows Adam's rig. As you can see, he uses a Mesa-Boogie and a Marshall super bass amp (why, I have no clue). So if you're looking for his exact rig, there it is, or at least something close to it. I guess your best bet would be to buy a Marshall cab, maybe one of the JCM ones. But keep in mind that a lot of studio Tool sound is heavily processed, so it is kind of hard to get their exact sound.

Many thanks for the link - i've had a look at the Tool Wiki over and over and have seen the details about the Marshall/Mesa rig. Like i said, i'm not specifically trying to get an exact copy of their sound - just a sound that is inspired by their own.
Any idea what one of those Marshall setups would cost a guy? Hell, even where to find one?
Better yet, i might be better off saving all my cash for the Mesa Dual Rectifier setup.
One of those Marshall setups would probably cost a bit over $1,000 US dollars, maybe $1500.
Oh crap!
hey man, have u checked out second hand marshalls. could get yourself a nice DSL or a TSL100 with cab for around your budget. i've a TSL and i can get the tone for Schism no prob with it.

you'll find that marshall prices in england are dirt cheap compared to elsewhere in the world but the exchange rate ain't so hot so it might work out the same.

check out www.ebay.co.uk
marshall JCM2000DSL50 is 1700 just for the head.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Quote by Kikuta
No offense, but thanks for two absolutely useless replies.

_futurerockstar - i couldn't give the slightest s*** about which 'good' players use Marshall. I'm trying to found out which one is for ME.

metal_fretter - i have no idea what the hell is wrong with asking for advice. So there are 100's of marshall threads a day, you don't have to read them. And no, i don't appreciate you coming here just to bash my favourite band..

god it was a JOKE my freind! i dont tend to crit any band unless its greenday or some lame band like that (sorry to greenday fans, just my opinion) but anyways i havnt heard much of tool so i cant really tell you a good amp to match thier tone or w/e.

iv heard the AVT50 or 100 is supposed to be a pretty decent amp.
>>Metal_Fretter<<

My gear:
Ibanez S470
Roland cube 30
Boss PW-10 v-wah
Marshall jackhammer
Quote by joel_grieve
marshall JCM2000DSL50 is 1700 just for the head.

Yes, i think that's a bit out of reach right now.

Quote by controlfreak
hey man, have u checked out second hand marshalls. could get yourself a nice DSL or a TSL100 with cab for around your budget. i've a TSL and i can get the tone for Schism no prob with it.

you'll find that marshall prices in england are dirt cheap compared to elsewhere in the world but the exchange rate ain't so hot so it might work out the same.

check out www.ebay.co.uk

I'll check out Ebay in a minute - i'm not keen on second hand unless it's in immaculate conidition...
Allright man ill say your best bet is to check eBay for second hand gear. Usually you can pick up a Mesa Dual Rec plus cab for like 1800 USD if your lucky (sry i dont know what that is in australian currency).

But the dual rec will get you the tone your looking for. Especially for detuned riffs. If you play detuned. its perfect for Tool type toen so your best bet is save up and get the Mesa
Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - pm gpderek09 to join
Quote by Syn Harvest
Allright man ill say your best bet is to check eBay for second hand gear. Usually you can pick up a Mesa Dual Rec plus cab for like 1800 USD if your lucky (sry i dont know what that is in australian currency).

But the dual rec will get you the tone your looking for. Especially for detuned riffs. If you play detuned. its perfect for Tool type toen so your best bet is save up and get the Mesa

I'm thinking you might be right. Right now, common sense is telling me to save for the Dual Rec, then add the Marshall when money allows it.
keeping in mind that a dual recto and cab is like $6000 aus.
Quote by xifr

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
Looking at current prices on EBay, i can pick up a Dual Recto head for $3500, and the cab for about $1000-$1500 AUD. I'll just have to hope i prices stay around that, and don't rise
get on ebay and look for a jcm-800 or 900. you can get a head for under 1000 and a 4x12 cab for under 400.

800's rape dsls and tsls.