My friends guitar instructor has a Takamine acoustic/electric, it's like 15 years old and it's awesome. I want one. MF has one for $200. Cutaway, Electric, no preamp though. Should i get it or a blueburst Ibanez?
Chuck Norris doesn't read, he stares books down until they give him the information he wants.

My Gear:
Washburn WR120
Randall RG100SC
Behringer XV-amp
Silvertone bass

Taylor.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by JJK

Taylor.

Look, the guy says he has around $200 to spend. I understand you like your Taylor. But it's not a plausible recommendation, and not everyone will ever have the amount of money to devote to a $1000 guitar.

Now.

For $200, I would get a guitar that is functional...plays well and sounds good for the price, you won't get that with a $200 acoustic/electric. I suggest you check out the stickied tab at the top of the page....the "OFFICIAL guitar for under $300 thread." There are several nice options there.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Well if he thinks a Takamine sounds amazing, then he'd jizz his pants if he played a Taylor. I'm just throwing that out there. And for $200 or $300 you really can't get anything that sounds good. They're all crap, let's just be honest. Save up and get a good guitar.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
There is where you are wrong. Not all guitars that are in that range are crap. Of course they will not sound like a Taylor, or a Martin. But, for $300, you can buy a well constructed guitar that sounds good (read: good, not amazing). And it suits beginners, and even people who have been playing a long time. Especially for someone who is just starting, a couple hundred bucks can get them a quality instrument to learn and grow with. If they stick with it, get good, and then decide they want to save up for a really nice guitar, then it might be time for the Taylor, or the Martin, or the whatever.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Quote by roamingbard13
There is where you are wrong. Not all guitars that are in that range are crap. Of course they will not sound like a Taylor, or a Martin. But, for $300, you can buy a well constructed guitar that sounds good (read: good, not amazing). And it suits beginners, and even people who have been playing a long time. Especially for someone who is just starting, a couple hundred bucks can get them a quality instrument to learn and grow with. If they stick with it, get good, and then decide they want to save up for a really nice guitar, then it might be time for the Taylor, or the Martin, or the whatever.

agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeed. i'm so tired of people responding with "taylor" or "martin" when somebody asks questions aboust specific guitars in specific price ranges that are not at the level of a martin or taylor. why don't you people try and say something relevant and helpful for a change.

anyway, threadstarter. i would go with a takamine over an ibanez any day of the week. i like ibanez electrics but i'm not a big fan of their acoustics. it's kinda like fender... they know people will buy an acoustic guitar because it says fender or ibanez on it so they just make them for the hell of it. i have played probably 5 or 6 different ibanez acoustic and acoustic-electric models and probably a total of around 15-20 ibanez acoustic and acoustic-electric guitars in general.... long story short, i own 3 takamines and 0 ibanez. it's all up to what you like and what sounds good to you though in the end..... but that's my two cents anyway!

p.s. i wouldn't buy ANY acoustic-electric if i only had 200 dollars to spend though really. i'd get a 200 dollar acoustic and then get a 40-50 soundhole pickup down the road a little ways until you can save up around 500-800 dollars and then you can get yourself a very nice acoustic-electric without having to spend 2000-3000 on a nice taylor or martin. check out that "guitar for under 300" thread up there like roamingbird said. it's a great starting point.
Last edited by jimtaka at May 5, 2006,
Quote by JJK
Well if he thinks a Takamine sounds amazing, then he'd jizz his pants if he played a Taylor. I'm just throwing that out there. And for $200 or $300 you really can't get anything that sounds good. They're all crap, let's just be honest. Save up and get a good guitar.

one more thing.... go and play a 2000-8000 dollar takamine and you'll "jizz your pants" just as much as you will if you play a taylor in the same price range.
Thanks to everybody except the dildo who replied first. I could'nt afford a Taylor in 5 years, plus, I've played them, and I'd prefer a Zager than a Taylor. Martin's a different story though. I'd kill for one of them. I think I'll get the Takamine. Or maybe i'll do the soundhole pickup thing on a regular acoustic. Later
Chuck Norris doesn't read, he stares books down until they give him the information he wants.

My Gear:
Washburn WR120
Randall RG100SC
Behringer XV-amp
Silvertone bass
I've played two Takamine's and liked their tone, but did not like the neck at all. It seemed quite fat to me. My Taylor has a really thin neck and I love that (no i'm not reccomending a Taylor)

If I had $200 (which is about £160?) I'd go for a Yahama, they do make really good guitars. I have a Yahama C40 classical, perhaps their crappest classical model, and it really is a solid guitar. It's been with me for while, has two huge holes in it and I still play it as much as my Taylor.

So try some Yahama's, i'm sure you wont be dissapointed.

htpp://www.olivergoldingmusic.com
I have a Zager and they are amazing. Get the Zad 80 if you can afford it. The Zad 50 is a bit trebely but still better than almost any guitar in the price range. I would compare my Zad 80 to nearly any guitar out there.
While there are guitars that are obviously much better than others, and can easily be seen by price and brand, it really depends on the skill of the player to determine the sound of the guitar.

If you've only got $200 to spend on a guitar, Takamine does make some good ones. My first and only guitar at the moment is a Takamine Jasmine acoustic. Takamine is good for price and ok sound, so it's good for a beginner guitar, and will likely last you a while. I've had mine for about two and a half years, and it still sounds good.