Hi All,

I'm a total noob trying to teach myself how to play. I picked up an Epiphone SG Special a while back am wondering if I should upgrade the pickups. I like to listen to the popular alternative/rock/emo stuff out now (Taking Back Sunday, Hawthorne Heights, Thursday, The Audition, The Academy Is, etc.), so I think I'll be trying to pick up a lot of their songs first.

I know it's a cheap guitar. I think I paid somewhere around $180 two or three years ago. Is it worth upgrading the pickups or would I be better off buying a new guitar?

Thanks!
personally i think a new guitar is of the most importance, plus the better guitars come with better pickups in most cases
How long have you been trying? If you're just starting now I wouldn't worry about it.

As for pickups for those kinds of music, a Seymore duncan JB would probably do in the bridge, most people put a SD 59 in the neck when they have a JB. But you should check out www.seymourduncan.com and take a look at what they have.
if you're a 'total noob' then i'd probably suggest honing (sp?) your skills before you start upgrading your equipment. there wouldn't be much point in having such expensive gear if you can't handle it properly
Those guitars are plywood I think...buy a new one.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
i wouldnt upgrade that model. ( i think it is plywood.^)

i mean sure u can pull those humbuckers back out and into ur next guitar. but maybe its time to just upgrade the whole thing.

new pickups dont give u the insane output boost u might think.
they are more about fine tuning a guitars tone.

amps and pedals are more noticable when upgraded. so again look at the amp ur using, then guitar and effects. before u pump $200 into a pup change.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
you shouldnt upgrade till youve developed your skills enough to actually notice the difference (unless your going from duncan designed to full seymours or EMG"s or bareknucles etc. the its impossible not to feel a difference)

i personally like my epiphone les paul junior

although i cant vouch for any of their other guitars
Soul Collector of the BassMilitia PM Dinkydaisy

Co-leader of The league of toxicity33, Kankuro, Dr. Gonzo Slash, DownInAHole, Synyster Gates, This End Up, and Neil_.

You should've used the Pythagorean Theorem, BITCH

BLALLALALASSISSIS *shank*
Quote by Bing
How long have you been trying? If you're just starting now I wouldn't worry about it.

As for pickups for those kinds of music, a Seymore duncan JB would probably do in the bridge, most people put a SD 59 in the neck when they have a JB. But you should check out www.seymourduncan.com and take a look at what they have.

I picked up a cheap acoustic about 7 years ago while in college, but working through an engineering program doesn't allow for much free time. I took lessons for about 6 months, but had to quit due to school.... so now that I'm just about done with my masters, I'm planning to teach myself guitar.

Quote by That_Pink_Queen
Those guitars are plywood I think...buy a new one.

Plywood??!?! crap.

I guess I'll work on learning to play while I save for a new guitar. Thanks for all of your responses.