well yeah...nothing else to say...
how do i get that "screaming\squicking" sound out of my guitar? like many rock bads do...hope you know what i mean-dunno what this thing is called..anyway, how do you do that?
harmonics?? with distortion i guess it could be described as a "screaming" sound...if so there's lessons on the site if you look for them..
i think your talking about pinch harmonics, but you have to choke up your grip on the pick so that when ou pick your thumb also hits and causes the squeal/harmonics, its easier if you see a video, go to cyberfret.com i think they have a lesson on pinch harmonics with video
"i think your talking about pinch harmonics" cman138.

That's what I think he means too. It's kinda hard to do at first, and really hard to describe without pictures, basically the side of your thumb glances the string after the pick hits it, causing a harmonic, which varies depending on where on the string you pick it (like, how close or far from the bridge will change what the harmonic is).

It's a really neat trick though, so worth working on.

Cherry72
i was told that before (about the thumb hiting the string) and its realy hard!
Right!

The first time I did it was just by accident, and I was like "Wow! that was cool", so I kept trying to do it again, and eventually it just becomes natural, then you can do it whenever you want.

Well, mostly. Even now I sometimes do it and just get an embarrassing squawk instead of a cool harmonic (and that's after 18 years of playing...)

Cherry72
Here is 2 a great tips for getting those pinch harmonics,

1. Hold your pick correctly
2. The heavier the pick, the easier it is to get them
"2. The heavier the pick, the easier it is to get them"

Never really thought of that, but yes, 'cos the pick gets out of the way quicker before your thumb-fat causes the harmonic.

(I've always used the heaviest picks I can get, so that never occurred to me - good call)

Cherry72
You're pretty formal hey cherry72?

Pinch hamrs are easy as **** once you get them down. Take a few hours out to practise...

here's a few tips from experience.

1. Thicker picks [as above] it helps, but once you've got it, you can pretty much do it on most picks, i wouldn't go below a 0.90mm though.
2. Try putting your pick way further "into the string" by this i mean use more of your pick.
3. changing where your thumb is on your pick helps [as above]
4. certain frets harmonise better than others. i can't quite remember which ones and my guitars way upstairs and too far, try e minor pent, pinch harms are easy for your bend notes there ie ADG ish

EDIT: pissed and spelling wrong
metal \m/
Last edited by willmac at May 5, 2006,
"You're pretty formal hey cherry72?"

Not sure what you mean there, but I am pretty polite. How's Leeds these days? (It's been a while)

Billy Bremner/Cherry72
you have to find the "sweet spot" on the body part of the strings
Quote by DieGarbageMan
i can become erect whilst displeasing women

What a talented person.
I'm alright dude, i've got a gig in middleborough on sunday! you should come, ill post again with details!
metal \m/
Hey Willmac, I would, but I live in San Diego now.

Good luck with the gig in 't'boro though! I'd still like to hear how it went!

Cherry72
Quote by willmac

1. Thicker picks [as above] it helps, but once you've got it, you can pretty much do it on most picks, i wouldn't go below a 0.90mm though.

I can acutally get them out of a .58 most days, it just takes more time.

As for getting them, every note has a harmonic past the end of the fingerboard. This is the "sweet spot for pich harmonics. You need to really choke up on the pick, and then pick so that your thumb hits the stringa split second after your pick leaves, ten move around to find sweet spot for different notes. An easy one to start with if you have a strat is to finger the 12th fret on the G string, and pick a fraction of an inch closer to the fingerboard that the middle pickup. The 13th fret's sweet spot is about a fret's width towards the bridge from there.
ah ****, well thats kool, i only play bass for that band anyway... i own the guitarists but i'm a "stand in".... standin in is cool though, loads of gigs, loads of girls, loads of fun
metal \m/
Quote by mr.joopy987
I can acutally get them out of a .58 most days, it just takes more time..

For a beginner??? Yes? You pro...

[EDIT : spelling, im still pissed...]
metal \m/
Quote by willmac
You're pretty formal hey cherry72?

Pinch hamrs are easy as **** once you get them down. Take a few hours out to practise...

here's a few tips from experience.

2. Try putting your pick way further "into the string" by this i mean use more of your pick.
3. changing where your thumb is on your pick helps [as above]
4. certain frets harmonise better than others. i can't quite remember which ones and my guitars way upstairs and too far, try e minor pent, pinch harms are easy for your bend notes there ie ADG ish

EDIT: pissed and spelling wrong

yeah i the third fret on the g string an the second on the same string are pretty good thru the bridge pickup
You can get them out of any pick. It just takes less effort with a heavier one. Also try doing it on the 2nd fret, G-String. I find that one the most noticable. Like you'll be pluckin away on some frets and not knowing whether or not your doing it (cause your a beginner, no offense) but with the 2nd fret, G-String you'll definitely know if you hit one.
none taken- i am a begginer (although if i may say im a little above average atleast from my point of view) i have been playing a little les then a year- mayube its already a year now
(not including another full year i used to play when was in 5th grade and took along pause till last year)
anyway....ill try
and i like 0.7-0.8 picks....im most comfortable with them and i dont have bigger ones (i have a couple thinner ones...but i dont like them)
Fo Sho, it'll be harder to learn with that size pick as opposed to a larger one, but go crazy.
metal \m/
noo to make ur guitar scream its a pitch harmonic. its just another term used. kinda like slang
Quote by JER VMC
noo to make ur guitar scream its a pitch harmonic. its just another term used. kinda like slang

Surley in this case its a Pinch Hamronic?
metal \m/