Page 1 of 3
Do you think "true" metal can ever be a mainstream genre in the United States? Or is it only an underground movement followed by people who truly care about music?

Also, do you think if there was a show on cable television devoted to metal, say a metal version of American Idol, would it influence more people into the genre?
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
IMO it will probably never happen. People are too busy listening to [insert generic flavor of the month band that has no originality and sounds the same as every other ****ing band]

Seriously, with some of my friends, a month or two ago they were like "OMFG Fall Out Boy are amazing, they're so talented!" This month it's changed to "OMFG Panic! At the Disco is so amazing, they're so great!" Uhh, is it just me or do they as well use the same 7 power chords in all their songs?
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
true metal (i.e. behemoth, slayer, opeth, dream thater, black label society etc?)?
id say probably not. the majority of it isnt generally 'easy listening', which is waht genereally pleases the public.

as for 'metal idol', meh. id be weird. one guy would be doing operatic vocals (like dragonforce), one could do black metal vox, then someone else do DM, then some kinda unique thingy...
if naything, it would give the public 'metal' like A7x, Atreyu, etc etc...
The question should be whether you would want it to be accepted by the mainstream and become distorted or kept to the true fans? Think about how it has become cool to have screamy "hardcore" bands all of a sudden and now kerrang is proclaiming all kinds of ****e to be "metal". I'd rather the good music I like be kept away from harms reach and out of the hands of fashion and trends.
Sometimes I feel like Axing my Axe.
I wouldn't want metal to go mainstream anyways... for many reasons.
There'll be many idiots saying sh*t like"OMG Cannibal Corpse IZ BRUTAL!!one11" or little girls who think the singer of Behemoth is hot.

Its good as it is...
roar
Quote by Slayer224
I wouldn't want metal to go mainstream anyways... for many reasons.
There'll be many idiots saying sh*t like"OMG Cannibal Corpse IZ BRUTAL!!one11" or little girls who think the singer of Behemoth is hot.

Its good as it is...

true. i was thinkin that, but couldnt word it right.
The only thing is, I'd really like metal bands to get more money. Metal bands work their asses off and make the most beautiful music in existence for very little pay in the end, and the only way to sell more albums is to make the music more mainstream. It's a really vicious cycle. I'd like to see true metal get a little more exposure, but not so much that it becomes jaded and trendy like hardcore. What's happened to hardcore is tragic. If you listen to early hardcore like Minor Threat, the passion and energy of the music is incredible. Now the genre's turned into a walking parody of itself. I just hope the same thing doesn't happen to metal.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
I really would say no, and who cares?

Really think about it. No one cares about metal that's why it's u/l/d@6l20/l/d.
Black/Death.
I don't know..it's fine how it is. At least I think so.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
No, because if it does happen, and metal does become mainstream, it won't be 'true metal' anymore. Because thats generally the way metal fans are. They like a lot of bands to themselves. Myself included.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Quote by Gman400
Do you think "true" metal can ever be a mainstream genre in the United States? Or is it only an underground movement followed by people who truly care about music?

It's happened before. I'd say Metallica were in the mainstream for a while. Death/Black/etc. metal? Probably not.

Also, do you think if there was a show on cable television devoted to metal, say a metal version of American Idol, would it influence more people into the genre?

You'd honestly want to see that?

*Remembers the German guy doing death growls for an Idol audition*
The best stuff will never become fad. I learnt to get the fuck over it. Leave the kids and posers to like their trendy crap.
Shadilay.
Black Label Society are definitely mainstream by now. Beyond that, not very many true metal bands are going to get mainstream attention.
Im not ready for metal to go mainstream either, cause I dont think im ready to start going around going, "Naw, Britney Spears isnt tr00 anymore, its all about (Local pop group)"

that **** just wouldnt work,

and its wrong, just plain wrong.
I heard In This River on the radio a few days ago. They're pretty mainstream.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Quote by flame843
Don't know where you live, but at least where I live, Black Label society are hardly mainstream.

Think of Zakk Wylde with his signature everything, plus he's always like 'omg im so fast listen me play in BLS, dman im so awesome in the pants, you know my leather pants.' So I mean, it's not hard. Nearly every guitarist has heard of Zakk Wylde and at the rate he plugs BLS, its impossible for them to be not so mainstream. Even the music is like 'heavy' for mainstream kids.
Quote by greety
Think of Zakk Wylde with his signature everything, plus he's always like 'omg im so fast listen me play in BLS, dman im so awesome in the pants, you know my leather pants.' So I mean, it's not hard. Nearly every guitarist has heard of Zakk Wylde and at the rate he plugs BLS, its impossible for them to be not so mainstream. Even the music is like 'heavy' for mainstream kids.

I've never heard Zakk talk himself up.

However, he is to be reprimanded for endorsing Marshall MGs.
Quote by flame843
I've never heard Zakk talk himself up.

However, he is to be reprimanded for endorsing Marshall MGs.

He always does. He's one of the most arrogant musicians.
Quote by greety
I don't know..it's fine how it is. At least I think so.

That's what I say.
I don't really mind if people don't listen to what I do.
It's their choice, not mine.

But if you really look, alot of people listen to Dream Theater.
LTD SC-608 Baritone
Schecter 007-Elite
Epi. Les Paul Standard
Jasmine SC312
Boss NS-2
Boss TU-3
Peavey 6505+

www.behaviourmusic.com
^Your average guy doesn't know about Dream Theater though it seems. I've seen 2 guys in Dream Theater shirts in Toronto. Period. Of course unless I'd go to Gigantour and what not, that would gather a lot of people, but they're still scattered all accross. .....I can't deny it, online communites are a big proof of fans though. All the metalheads I know are fans of Dream Theater which is only about 3 people, but whatever. It still explains things I think.

SOMETHING THAT PISSES ME OFF: I know my friend is sometimes an arrogant prick. He said how he listened to rock and then he resulted to rap (he's all gangster and crap now listening to Xzibit and Obie Trice and this crap), but he says he was listening to Linkin Park and I couldn't resist to tell him that Linkin Park and similar bands did not represent rock music in general. That was one thing. Who cares? One misunderstanding, I'm still friends with him. Then he came to play Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas and while he was playing he'd go to Los Santos Radio which would always be gangsta rap. When I would play, I'd switch to K-Rock which was Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Janes Addiction and most importantly Guns n' Roses - Appetite for Destruction. Once Gn'Rs only song comes up, he just says "turn off this gay rock music" and I'm sitting there once again thinking, why the **** can't you keep your uneducated and biased/stereotypical opinion to yourself? Anyways, I got really mad about that because he made it into something more than it was, and he was getting mad at me because I wouldn't agree with him and that he was supposedly "right" even though he didn't directly say that. I knew what he meant though. Later on when my fire was still burning from that little incident he was talking about he met up with a guy because his parents made new friends and how he showed him some german death metal (I'm sitting here thinking it's Rammstein or Kreator, because I'm not aware of any german death metal). So he was impersonating the lyrics and he suddenly put on a deep voice and started growling "aaaaaaaaaaaahhhh....urrggghhhhhhhhh....rip my asshoooole apart!!!!1111one111one!!oneone" and then he says "it was shit music to say the least, who that isn't messed would listen to this crap? see, this is why I don't like rock and metal. They're always talking about death and all the metal guys wear black clothes and chains and are depressed and shit" I was about to punch the guy. Such a hypocritical and judgemental statement had not emanated through my skull before. Never before did I think people, but especially my friend would say something like this. This just shows that the ****ing stereotype of the typical metalhead is still there, because everyone is under the impression that metal died in the 80s. My friend mentioned this again today in computer class after this kid who listens to internet radio (www.Pandora.com) was listening to Dark Tranquility and Kataklysm (he told me he likes Dark Tranquility but he thinks Kataklysm is crap). Not the point, but the guy was an Offspring/NOFX/Rancid/Metallica fan which is odd. But I thank Pandora and it's similar to Iron Maiden radio...magical that they have Kataklsym. Anyways, I digress. Not only is metal not for everyone, but it's portrayed as a bad thing by a lot of people. And so, no it wouldn't be in the mainstream. It's going to be a miracle if even modern metal bands like Godsmack (sorry for those tr00 enough to notice, but I don't think they belong to the nu-metal label) who are quite mainstream rock would become as mainstream as Radiohead, Metallica or Franz Ferdinand.
I've found Jesus
Last edited by Contraband at May 5, 2006,
^ Yeah, but it's always fun to sit back and laugh at people who think metalheads are depressed wrist-slitters when it's really all the idiot goths.
Quote by HuckIt
The best stuff will never become fad. I learnt to get the fuck over it. Leave the kids and posers to like their trendy crap.
\m/ dazrite
Quote by LedZeppelin
^ Yeah, but it's always fun to sit back and laugh at people who think metalheads are depressed wrist-slitters when it's really all the idiot goths.

It's not fun when it's your own friend. I don't want to lose any more friends due to differences in music taste or the the fact that we don't share much in common. In being open minded in metal, I feel that being open minded with people can be important too because it comes hand in hand. Of course I don't want to be friends with complete fags, but I don't want to screw up the communication we have going now.
I've found Jesus
Well...personally, music is one of the few things I have a perpetual love for in life, and if somebody doesn't respect that, then fuck 'em, whether it's metal or pop-punk. One of my best friends listens to screamo but she plays jazz bass and is really damn good, and I respect that she listens to it. That's all it really comes down to.
Quote by HuckIt
I don't go out of ym way to diss other peoples music or something but if one of my good friends turned into a wangster...well...I'd probably lose a lot of respect for them because changes like that also generally coincide with a personality change for the worse. However if I'm talking to soembody in school and they're werain all gangsta clothes I probably won't say anything unless they say something for no reason about my Dream theater shirt or something.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
Quote by LedZeppelin
Well...personally, music is one of the few things I have a perpetual love for in life, and if somebody doesn't respect that, then fuck 'em, whether it's metal or pop-punk. One of my best friends listens to screamo but she plays jazz bass and is really damn good, and I respect that she listens to it. That's all it really comes down to.

That's right. We need more people in the world who are open minded. Not that I can really say I am that open minded though, but I wish I was a little more.
I love music more than anything as well, and a lot of my friends are intellegent musicians, but most of my friends wouldn't know the difference between Mozart and Stratovarius (ok, an exaduration, but you get my point haha). I've learned that everybody tends to take something really seriously in their life, whether it be music, movies, sports, nationalism, pacifism, the environment etc. Just because somebody doesn't know much about music does not make them a shallow or uneducated person.

If somebody knows sweet **** all about music, just try and avoid talking to them about it or you'll only wind up getting frustrated. I've had people get pissed off at me before when I tried to talk to them about sports, because really, I don't know a whole lot beyond where the gym is and the name of my home team haha.

And if metal (real metal) ever becomes mainstream... well I won't be happy, but I won't stop listening to it only for that reason though. I still like to think that one day metal will get the same acceptance that jazz does today, because when you get down to it, their origins arn't that difference. Back in the 40's, if you told an upstanding white person (please don't misenterperate what I'm trying to say here) that this "jazz" music (essentially black people music) would become one day culturally acceptable and even taught in universities, they'd laugh at you. It was dirty, uncouth, and it was different. Just like metal is today.

Looking back, I rambled a bit there but I hope I got my points across.

EDIT: you've also got to realize that when you get out of high school, most people tend to mature a certain amount in certain parts of their lives, one of them is often music. A lot of modern Hip-hop is aimed at teenagers, and seems to be a fad which people will rapidly outgrow one day. Like my cousin. All through high school, he was big into (modern) rap and hip hop. Then he graduated, and now he's settling down a lot and has gotten big into jazz (I like to think some of it's through my guidance haha). Metal is not a fad, and it is not made to be marketable, and it's often something you don't just outgrow (especially if you listen to REAL metal. kids outgrow slipknot all the time).
THE TREND IS OVER
YOU WON'T NEED THAT ANYMORE
ITS ON SALE AT THE FUCKING DOLLAR STORE
Last edited by reed at May 6, 2006,
Quote by LedZeppelin

You DO realise you condradict yourself in that comment right?
Quote by greety

**** someone finally hits ZW on the head. I guess its because everyone I know are leghumping Zakk Wylde fanboys. ugh.
Quote by reed
*textables*

Well said, Erik. I agree with you. But I mean it doesn't account for the fact you have left school, matured at least a little bit and are still 'Comin' straight out of compton' and rocking around dressed like this;

But going backwards, I really do agree. If you have developed a love for Decapitated, Emperor or Kreator generally its a love that will stay for a while. I love Metal and I can't envision myself going backwards, and the fact that its not mainstream and so many people still love it is a sign of it's greatness. As par the outgrowing slipknot comment, it's because the simple minded teens never love the music, it's all about fitting into a crowd you see yourself in.
^My eyes....my dear dear eyes....

And greety, where did Wolverine go?

EDIT: Forgot to contribute to the topic

I don't think metal is the kind of music you grow out of, I agree with greety and reed.
I first got into In Flames when I was 8, and I've sure grown out of most of my musical tastes since then (back then it was Sum 41, Blink 182 etc), but In Flames and Iron Maiden (the two metal bands I liked back then) are still two of my favourite bands. Goes to show that music thats popular does wear off. It may be good at first, but it fades, and thats what trends are, coming and going. Metal never will be a trend (or at least not true metal), and so it will never drift away.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Last edited by duncang at May 6, 2006,
I don't care if metal goes mainstream. If it's good music, I don't care how many people like it. It's just when they start selling out and stop being good just to be mainstream that I hate it.
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Ofcourse it could do with a little more attention, things like Derek Roddy having to leave the business because it doesn't earn him enough money is sad. I'd still don't want it to go completely mainstream (which it never will anyway), because as soon as the media gets it's grip on it, it will be twisted, distorted and not metal anymore.
Page 1 of 3