I have a relatively new American Strat and the whammy bar does not swing down like I want it to. I actually have to push it back down to pointing at the ground if I want it out of the way. What is the best way to "loosen" this thing up?
Wind it back a bit (anticlockwise)

It basically works like a screw, a turn or two back should let it just "flop" down.

(unless the thread's really tight, which it shouldn't be)

Cherry72
The only reason I don't like it unscrewed a decent amount is it seems to high in that situation
well its a screw. u can lube it, see if it swings free.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by JimiJunkie
The only reason I don't like it unscrewed a decent amount is it seems to high in that situation

The higher the bar, the more leverage you have to bottom out on those dive-bombs.
Quote by StaggHound
The higher the bar, the more leverage you have to bottom out on those dive-bombs.

Thats beside the point, i think they thought about that when they manufactured it too... I second the above, unscrew it a little, or lube it.
metal \m/
"Thats beside the point"

Right,

And if that's what you want, stick it in a vice and bend it up a bit.

That's what I had to do with my WonderBar, now I can "bottom out" to the point that the strings fall off the neck. 'course, you'll be very lucky if you're still in tune after doing that.

Cherry72