i wanted to change the nut on my SG myself, and i have the new nut, and the slots are perfect and everything...
but i just wanted to know whats the best and safest way to remove the original nut from the headstock?
the one i have on right now seems to be glued on or something, and the glue adds to its height...and i don't want to ruin it.
Last edited by forsaknazrael at May 5, 2006,
hmm, you dont call your penis "SG" do you?
that would suck, and i would feel bad for you
if not, then i dont feel bad, i no longer trust you, and have no clue

sorry if i offended you in any way
im bored
^go away.

u screw the nut edge with a sharp knife. the u tape it out with a light hammer and screw driver.
if there seems to be glue holding it, a little heat can help soften it up.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You can:
-Blow-dry the area, then tap out the nut with screwdriver and hammer when loose enough
-Tap out with hammer and screwdriver/chisel without blowdrying (not recommended)
Definitely has glue holding it.
it looks kinda like this:

where the glue is like...a noticeable amount, like a mm or two.

the busting your nut crack was actually pretty clever.

the blowdryer would be a good way to melt the glue..hmmm...good call
Last edited by forsaknazrael at May 5, 2006,
oh, also, i wanted to take out the electronics in my SG so I could shield it. BUt i don't know how to take out the tone control knobs and stuff.
how do i go about doing that?
u pull off the knobs, (if there's a hole in the side of the knob that would be for a screw that needs to be loosened first.)

pull off the knob and then loosen the nut under there, the tone pot falls off into the cavity.

are u also shielding the pickup cavities?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
yeah, they're custom knobs, so there's a screw hole. it looks like allen wrench thing, but its hard to see.
i'll take a harder look.

i hadn't thought about the pickup cavities....i have to do those too?
cause my pickups have casings on them, and i heard that's pretty good as shielding for them.