When playing a song, there usually comes stops/rests. How do you do this? Do you stop the strings with your right hand? It has been really bugging me lately.

Thanks
Wow. Yeah, you just stop the strings from making sound.
Quote by grimreaper65
Har har har. Go stuff your panties with toads and then masturbate.

Ahh, I love the Pit.

Quote by SilentDeftone
I don't need to report you, I can just ban you instead.

-SD

Owned!
Stop them with your left hand.

Just lift your finger off the fretboard a little bit so that the note stops.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by JimiSlashPage
Wow. Yeah, you just stop the strings from making sound.

Yeah, I obviously know that. I mean how do you stop them?
lay your left hand over the fretboard, (dont press down on it) to mute the strings, and to make sure you got it youcould also put your right hand over the strings over the pick ups....

i dont know if you're new or not, but its pretty simple
I have been playing for a little mor ethan a year, But no one ever told me how to stop the strings from ringing. So I just stop them with my right hand, but it feels unprofessional. And when I lift my fingers, it makes a buzzing sound.
LEFT HAND.

Fret and play the note, then lift your left hand finger up slightly so that you're still touching the string, but not pushing it down against the fretboard.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Just touch the string with a finger.

If you find it easier, use your right hand, but do it further away from the bridge.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Eh... just to clear this up, I know I'm a bit late coming to bring this back... but you ought to stop the strings initially with your right, and then mask with your left and come off with the right (if there's time).

Some of it depends on the rest, so I'll clear that up... if you just need to kill an active note that's fingered, come off the note with your left hand -- any other noise will mask the sound from it; that's pretty simple and intuitive. For open strings, use your left and cover on the neck where ever you need to kill the sound. When you need to leave other notes ringing and mute specific strings, use any available finger or palm to deaden the sound (before coming off if it's fingered) -- that's usually easier with your right hand, specifically your thumb, especially for open strings.

For rests where you have a lot of time, or a final rest to end a song, use the right on - left cover - right off method; using your right hand to mute kills every string, including any ringing overtones, without adding excess noise -- come on softly with the right, come off softly with the left, cover the neck and then come off with both slowly.

For very fast rests with other sound going, or where an actual "grand pause" isn't needed, use your left, it's just easier. Any time you need a GP use your right to kill everything without additional sound. When it's very quick and your finger picking, it's just a faster version of the above; when you're flatpicking, it's a wrist snap -- after you sound the last note before a fast GP, snap your wrist back and throw the side of your palm into the strings just in front of the bridge... it's easiest to learn this strumming, then apply it to lead parts, and is especially effective when you have an entire band/group that's playing staccato together (the ringing open strings will sound sloppy).

Any rest technique is like any other phrasing technique, they all sound different and have a different effect. Practice different types of muting, and learn where music calls for different mutes.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club