Hi, I'm interested in buying a strat soon, but I'm not sure if I should go for all Single Coils, or a Humbucker/Single-Coil combination...

So I'm wondering if there's a site with soundclips that will show the difference in sound between Single Coils and Humbuckers.

Or maybe one of you guys could record them for me...

Thanks a lot!
Depends what you play, I personally suggest the S/S/H because single coils are a pain in the ass and they hum to much on the 2 and 4 selection on the 5 way switch.
Depends on your style(s) of music. I like having a humbucker in there for versatility. It's good if you play a wide range of stuff.
mmmmmmhmmm

That's exactly what I've been trying to say.

Quote by munkymanmatt
brilliant
yep it would be more versatile with a humbucker in the bridge but you could get some single coils that sound like humbuckers
You could buy a s/s/s strat, then buy a pre-wired h/h pickguard and switch them out when you feel like it. Not super convenient, but it works.
My Guitars:
'69 Kent Strat
Agile AL-1000
SX ES-335 Copy (For Sale, PM for info)
SX Strat Copy
Epi Les Paul Jr. w/GFS Pickup
Rogue Acoustic
Old Yamaha Acoustic

My Amps:
GX 100-watt 4x8 whatever

FX:
Digitech EX-7
I'd say go with the H/S/S pickup configuration for versatility.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Depends what kinda sound you prefer H/S/S will be more versatile but dont be thinking you can't get any distortion out of single coils they are highly underrated.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
i really suggest (neck single,middle single,bridge hum) or (neck hum,middle single,bridge hum)

My Gear:
Epihone Gothic X-plorer+EMGS 81/60
Jackson WARRIOR JS30+EMGS 81/60(soon will be installed)
Randall G2 series RG75 75watt
Behringer X V-Amp
Well I was previously looking towards the Fender Classic 50's Series, and that only has three single coil pickups.

I'm not into heavy music. The only time I would have lots of distortion is if I was screwing around, so it's not that big of a deal. Would single coils give me a sort of dirty bluesy tone?
Quote by freddy692000
i really suggest (neck single,middle single,bridge hum) or (neck hum,middle single,bridge hum)

I agree man.

The most versatile setup is h/s/h with the steve vai jem wiring, i.e. the switching goes,

neck hum
necksplit as a single plus middle single
middle single
bridge split coil and middle single
bridge hum

Can do practically anything with that. Also if you put something like an EMG 81 in the bridge itll give you more grunt for harder stuff which i find starts tend to lack does to the woods used.
Quote by leeRy
Well I was previously looking towards the Fender Classic 50's Series, and that only has three single coil pickups.

I'm not into heavy music. The only time I would have lots of distortion is if I was screwing around, so it's not that big of a deal. Would single coils give me a sort of dirty bluesy tone?

Definately. The stratocaster neck pickup (singlecoil) is dirty blues heaven.
He sais he's into bluesy stuff... why would you recommend him EMG pickups?

I suggest buy the SSS. It's great for all types off blues, nd they have a very nice twang and bite in their high end. If you don;t like the pickups, you could always get some with higher output, like the earlier suggeted texas specials(wich SRV used)
Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
London City Comet MK1
London City Spitfire II (Modded)
Squire Tele Custom (Modded)

Peavey Classic 30
Electro Harmonix Holy Grail Reverb
Line 6 Echo Park Delay
Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde
Dunlop Crybaby Classic
Quote by LikeAStone

Some people just type "buy EMGs" in every distantly pickup-related thread they can find.
Quote by LikeAStone

I suggest buy the SSS. It's great for all types off blues, nd they have a very nice twang and bite in their high end. If you don;t like the pickups, you could always get some with higher output, like the earlier suggeted texas specials(wich SRV used)

who recommended emg's
Quote by azn_guitarist25
who recommended emg's

Quote by OneLastShot

Can do practically anything with that. Also if you put something like an EMG 81 in the bridge itll give you more grunt for harder stuff which i find starts tend to lack does to the woods used.

*ho-hum*
I'd say the most distortion I ever use is just to get a dirty blues tone. That's about as far as I go, the rest of the stuff I play is pretty much clean.

So I take it the three single coils are, in fact, a good option for me?
Quote by leeRy
I'd say the most distortion I ever use is just to get a dirty blues tone. That's about as far as I go, the rest of the stuff I play is pretty much clean.

So I take it the three single coils are, in fact, a good option for me?

Yep; all you need really is the neck pickup (although the middle and neck combination can be nice too, at times).
I'm in the same boat man, I want a Strat, but can't decide if I want HSS or SSS. The SSS offers my favourite finish (olympic white) while the HSS offers the added versatility. What to do? WHAT TO DO?

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

^ buy the SSS and route the bridge for a humbucker
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

I prefer Humbuckers, they just sound right for me (I play classic rock and the occasional metal song,) Single coils make way too much noise and they sound too deep and bluesy.
You asked for clips and I don't think anyones posted any yet. Go to the Seymour Duncan site and check out the soundclips there. They have tons of single coil and humbucker samples. In fact, lots of pickup and amp manufacturers have sound clips on their sites using different guitars and pickups.

Here's a quick list:

Seymour

Acme - all single coils here, but good clips.

Kingsley Amps - jazz-type playing, mostly.

DiMarzio

Bad Cat Amps

Vintone

Hughes and Kettner

Trinity Amps

Bare Knuckle Pickups
Quote by leeRy
Would single coils give me a sort of dirty bluesy tone?

Absoutely. But then, so would humbuckers. It's gonna depend on which sound you prefer, really.
Single coils are gonna give you brighter, twangy tones, while Humbuckers are gonna give you warm, rounded tones.

Both types sound good with overdrive, but the single coils wil get 60 cycle hum if they are around other electronics or lighting, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem if you are only using light overdrive.

And I think the Single Coils sound much better on clean aswell.
Jackson DKMGT Dinky
Randall RG50TC
Roland Micro-Cube
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2
Thank you so much for all the help, especially with the sound clips.

And if single coils producing too much hum is going to be a problem, can't I just shield my guitar?
Quote by thetearsibleed
^ buy the SSS and route the bridge for a humbucker

To rout an American Strat?

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

If you get a SSS guitar and decide you want one or more humbuckers a number of pickup manufacturers make single coil sized humbuckers.
my ibanez has a H-S-H configuration.

it's so damn versatile that i can get ANY tone i want. death metal = bridge. finger picking? neck H+S. acoustic/blues? = single coils.

they're too damn good that i don't feel like replacing them even though they're only stocks
My Gear:

Ibanez RG450LTDBC
Boss GT-8
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Behringer guitar
Behringer V-Tone GM108 Amp
...and my fingers.

Quote by unfathomable_bo
At a Nile gig when some guy shouted "Egypt is gay!"

^^
Quote by Armored Artist
To rout an American Strat?

American strats are already routed for HSH.
Quote by leeRy
Thank you so much for all the help, especially with the sound clips.

And if single coils producing too much hum is going to be a problem, can't I just shield my guitar?

Here some advice everyone should listen too:
As long as the hum isn't deafening (proper shielding etc.), you won't be able to hear it when you are playing; and when you are not playing, turn the volume down.
try s1 switching on a deluxe strat (if you can afford it) basically what it does, on an SSH deluxe strat, it splits the humbucker, canceling out one of the two single coils, so with the press of a button you go from your nice warm humbucker sound, to a single coil.

Now with an sss deluxe strat, its a bit diffrent, with a press of the button it comines two single coils to make a humbucker(though not sounding exactley the same, same with the SSH, it doesent sound exactley like single coil)

if you can, try one of those and see how you like it
Keep on rocking the free world

god invented beer so the irish wouldnt rule the world

FRRREEEEEEBBBBBBBIIIIIIIIRRRRRRDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!