I broke the high E string of my Epiphone G400.
I really don't know how to replace it. (this is my first electric guitar)
Plus, I don't know anybody who could help me (I live in a village with the next music shop being 40 miles away).
What should I do? *panics*

btw..I think all the other strings need to be replaced. They are rusty.^^ But this is normal, right?

Thanks in advance
Firstly, search google for some tutorial
It's not too hard, bt i would have some spare strings just in case you snap one (I did the first time, then i got the hang of it and now i can do it to a good standard)

Secondly
Rust is NOT normal haha, you could get a damn nasty disease offa that! You need to replace them all!

Once again, tutorials on the internet

There was one of the video lessons on here by PickNGrin which showed you how...might be worth lookingup
Quote by DieN
I broke the high E string of my Epiphone G400.
I really don't know how to replace it. (this is my first electric guitar)
Plus, I don't know anybody who could help me (I live in a village with the next music shop being 40 miles away).
What should I do? *panics*

btw..I think all the other strings need to be replaced. They are rusty.^^ But this is normal, right?

Thanks in advance

replace your strings every few months at the very minimum. I replace mine every 3-4 weeks, but that's just me. some people replace theirs more often than me, others less. either way, your strings shouldn't be left long enough to allow rust to develop. new strings sound better, have more sustain, are easier to play on, etc.

be sure to watch the "steal this video" stringing tutorial* on this site, as well as other tutorials before attempting anything, because replacing strings for the first time can be quite tricky. you'll get the hang of it soon enough though.

* the guy in this video has a floyd rose guitar, whereas the G-400 has a fixed bridge. feed the string through from under the guitar, through the bridge, to the winding pegs. then wrap the string around 3 times anti-clockwise (so that when you turn the peg anti-clockwise, it will tighten the string) and feed it through the little hole on the tuning peg thingy.

as for what strings to use, just get a pack of regular slinkies, you don't need to worry about the other gauges yet.

and good luck.
1) Buy some strings on the net.(ernie balls or d'addarios)
2) I swear there is a tutorial on changing strings here

Just quite easy really. Oh and if you cant tune with your ears, get a tuner.
here's what is best:

search on UG "steal" in collums, you get a list of steal this video, and voila there it is, the most resent vid is on changing strings
Wie geht es?

When you get a new pack of strings, don't take all the old strings off at once. Keep the old strings on and start by replacing just the broken string. Then replace the B string, then the G and so on until you change all of them. This will keep your guitar more stable. It will also give you an idea of how strings should look when installed.

The bridge end is pretty straight forward... you just put the string through the back hole of the stopbar, put it overtop of the tune-o-matic bridge, through the nut slot and onto the tuner post. Properly installing the string end into the tuner post is probably the most common problem beginners have with restringing. But, as mentioned above, there are many illustrated tutorials online that show how to do it.

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Wow! Thanks for your help, everyone
The strings are not that rusty. But I will change them.
Quote by Armored Artist
Wie geht es?

When you get a new pack of strings, don't take all the old strings off at once. Keep the old strings on and start by replacing just the broken string. Then replace the B string, then the G and so on until you change all of them. This will keep your guitar more stable. It will also give you an idea of how strings should look when installed.

The bridge end is pretty straight forward... you just put the string through the back hole of the stopbar, put it overtop of the tune-o-matic bridge, through the nut slot and onto the tuner post. Properly installing the string end into the tuner post is probably the most common problem beginners have with restringing. But, as mentioned above, there are many illustrated tutorials online that show how to do it.

this is actually not true. the tension release or whatever isn't great enough to harm the guitar, i've done it before and it hasn't harmed my guitar at all.