I have a friend who has a theory no american band from the past decade is any good aside from the strokes, the red hot chili peppers and pearl jam and there might have been a couple of others. Says the rest are all motivated by money and not music. He doesnt like metal and probably wouldnt be too appreciative of 7 minute guitar solos. Hes a massive living end and radiohead fan and likes most mainstream britrock basically (big fan of the libertines and arctic monkeys) and likes coldplay and muse but reckons theyre just diluted radiohead. What do you guys reckon? What are some good, recent American bands (aside from Dream Theater. Hes obviously never heard of them)
Tool, but their first ep was '92, so i don't know if that counts as outside the 10 year bracket.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Tool, but their first ep was '92, so i don't know if that counts as outside the 10 year bracket.

well he said red hot chili peppers were an exception and theyve been around since mid eighties. Arent tool metal though?
Quote by spunky_chooken
well he said red hot chili peppers were an exception and theyve been around since mid eighties. Arent tool metal though?

tool are many things. Some say they are metal, some say prog, some say art metal... On this site and the wonders of its classification system, they are Modern Rock.
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
The Mars Volta

Or is that what you mean by "7 minute guitar solos"?
UG Irish Clan: Póg mo thóin
trivium oh **** their metal maybe velvet revolver no cant think just goes to show the uk rock when it comes to rock
#2 Member of the Whitesnake Fanclub.
PM .davis. for membership oppurtunities.

just showin' support the whitesnake, they're amazing

Gear
encore B1BTR (Rock On Bitch)
Marshall mg15cd
Audioslave
Rage Against the machine
Foo Fighters
Queens Of The Stone Age

Dunno how i forgot them.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Quote by ToolBass_dude
Audioslave
Rage Against the machine
Foo Fighters
Queens Of The Stone Age

Dunno how i forgot them.

+ Mars Volta

(And ATD-I if they were in the last decade)
Quote by its_alive
rich_sg, I promote you to Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. of the Pit. way to speak your opinion.

Quote by ErnieBallfists
RICH_SG you are a filthy person for accusing me of dirty trolling , you are a stiff coconut
I can only think of Coheed and Cambria right now (Not because I'm having a hard time thinking of non-sell-out bands, but because I
m having a hard time thinking of bands ). Although there are people who are thrown off by the guy's voice, they're a preety decent band.

And I can't speak for Showbiz, but Muse is DEFINATELY not a Radiohead ripoff.

And who says a band can't sound good unless it isn't motivated by money? I dont like this guy...
Incubus... no one's said incubus?

and all the ones mentioned above.
Quote by crazynickman
Dont be sad roo, you pwned him!
how recent is recent?
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Quote by Hpda5121
how recent is recent?

he said the past decade.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Eagles of Death Metal
Quote by trev913
RHCPhysco for the win.

Quote by rmr024
poop? i put it in a blender from time to time

Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Well I'm English and my 2 favourite bands are the strokes and the chili peppers, both american. Apart from these tho I would have 2 say there is not much, although i go like kings of leon as well.
The most recent good band that I can think of is Finger Eleven. I think they came out in '97. There's also bands like Velvet Revolver and Audioslave, but I don't think they really count since their members are already well established musicians.

EDIT: Oops, nevermind, I just remembered that Finger Eleven are from Canada.
wait a minute...he's critical of American bands, but likes the Arctic Monkeys? You should smack him, and then duct-tape a pair of headphones to his head and pump in some really loud Smashing Pumpkins. That'll learn him.
Discolored skin gives me away.
Soledad Brothers
The White Stripes
Black Keys
Gibson Bros.
Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
Brian Jonestown Massacre
Black Mountain / The Pink Mountaintops
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
The Greenhornes
Black Angels
Hot Hot Heat