Yeah, basically I left my bass on for a while because I went to do something and was gonna come back striahgt away but something else came up and then when I went to play again I kept getting electrocuted by the e string. Anyone know why?
well for a start if u got electrocuted, you would be dead.
a shock u got!
was it just a lil jolt or sumin?
grounding problem? I used to get shocks off my old bass, but i took off the bridge and made sure the ground wire was in contact, and it was cool afterwards.

Alex
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
Quote by ToolBass_dude
grounding problem? I used to get shocks off my old bass, but i took off the bridge and made sure the ground wire was in contact, and it was cool afterwards.

Alex

He has a good point.
Make sure it's earthed.. otherwise if it becomes live, you WILL get a shock! as you already have!!

Just tighten up the earth wire
That happened to me yesterday when I touched my lead guitarist. His amp doesn't have a ground on the plug. Check for that.
Gear:

Crappy Samick Guitar
4x12 Cabinet
Guitar Rig 2
Computer
Peavey Bass
Bass Master 200 Watt bass amp
Take it to your local guitar tech to get it checked out. The earth wire might not be touching the bridge properly or something. You should ge it checked as a matter of urgency. People have been known to die from poor earthing from their instruments. Hear of one guy on stage, his guitar strings touched the microphone. His instrument wasn't properly earthed. He died later in.

So get it checked!!!!
If I put my bass on my lap, and don't play it, I feel little sparks of electricity, but i guess thats because it's an active bass right?
Quote by shut_up_you_***
People have been known to die from poor earthing from their instruments. Hear of one guy on stage, his guitar strings touched the microphone. His instrument wasn't properly earthed. He died later in.

So get it checked!!!!

i thought it was when he touched the mic with his mouth or something, he collapsed right there from the schock?

Quote by spunky_chooken
so you mean put it on the ground? cause it was on my bed before.

Quote by ToesKa
If I put my bass on my lap, and don't play it, I feel little sparks of electricity, but i guess thats because it's an active bass right?

No!! It doesn't matter what electronics a bass has, if you are getting shocks, something is wrong. Most likely it is the earth/grounding wire, but it may be something to do with your amp (my mate re-wired mine once, and it was shorting out my house, thus shocling me).

Most likely just earthing though.

Alex
Quote by Dogruitag
i think he wants to dream theater to be considered more metal, so he dyed his beard.

Quote by LookAlive
Lmfao, this is the best thread ever, aside from the fact that it involves a girl being harpooned through a tent.
That happened everytime I played on a concrete floor. The low B always shocked me. Turns out my wires were loose. Not a problem anymore.
Kind of nominated for Best Retired User.

Skepto > Oxygen
Quote by ToolBass_dude
i thought it was when he touched the mic with his mouth or something, he collapsed right there from the schock?

Quite possibly. I heard this story over 5 years ago.
Quote by Bassilo
Hmm... maybe jo ass was brushing yo hair, or rubbin a balloon against ye hair, or prolly petting a furry pussy?

Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Quote by ToesKa

u can't feel 9V's, or even 18V's, you need atleast 40V's to even feel it, 20,000V's is what they use in tazers.

but anything attached to a wall socket can kill you.
Quote by Bumper
I can feel 9v of electricity.....try touching a 9v to your tongue.

i've been doing that constantly the past week it's really cool/weird.
Quote by Dogruitag

Quote by LookAlive
Quote by FbSa
^ That statement made no sense, it wasn't even literate.....

yet, 70% of Americans talk like that.

Heeeyy, sewn, cha betteh git ma moonshine, cuz Imbginnin to feel mah ligz ag'in!

ANd do you know what static electricity is? I have a cat, it's furry and gangsta, so when i pet it for a while, if I touch somebody, he'll get a shock. If i touch an operating TV - i'll get one helluva shock.

Same goes for bass, especially, if it's plugged in. Static discharge. Combing your hair, rubbing a balloon makes you accumulate that charge.
Quote by Bumper
I can feel 9v of electricity.....try touching a 9v to your tongue.

same, i really should stop doing that :/ my tongue went blue once

but to the threadstarter: get it checked, now!
Quote by slayaplaya

(oh! maybe some one will sig that witty comment! maybe not...)
Quote by ToolBass_dude

Alex

Quote by spunky_chooken
so you mean put it on the ground? cause it was on my bed before.]

Sigged!
is your amp old?
because i use this really old amp occasionally that my friend's grandpa owns and when i use it and touch like a mic i get a shock and my lips touched the mic before and i didnt die so i dont think its too bad.
sorry for poor grammar
the amp was never given a ground just a simple plug thing
Quote by The Pickle Man
If that's the best Chicago has to offer then... well... too bad for Chicago, I guess.
A wall socket (at least in the US) will only kill you if you jab electrodes from them into your body with your heart in between. Well, maybe not only then, but you'd have to jab the electrodes into your body regardless. Unless you're very unlucky.

http://www.dansdata.com/gz013.htm

But yeah, you really shouldn't be able to feel 9 volts or 18 volts if your skin isn't soaking wet (like your tongue is). Try holding your tongue out a while until a good portion of it is pretty dry. Then put a 9v on. Take note of what you feel. Then get your tongue nice and wet, and try again. Yeah, it depends a lot on how wet it is.
Computer programmers are loopy.
- That's one of my own!
My friend turned his left hand blue for about 10 minutes after he grabbed the input cable and the bridge on my peavey...

Get it fixed, dude... blue hands arent cool
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by Bassilo
yet, 70% of Americans talk like that.

Heeeyy, sewn, cha betteh git ma moonshine, cuz Imbginnin to feel mah ligz ag'in!

ANd do you know what static electricity is? I have a cat, it's furry and gangsta, so when i pet it for a while, if I touch somebody, he'll get a shock. If i touch an operating TV - i'll get one helluva shock.

Same goes for bass, especially, if it's plugged in. Static discharge. Combing your hair, rubbing a balloon makes you accumulate that charge.

please stop generalizing Americans to the point where they're inferior to you. If you want to say all Americans have an opinion that says this, fine. I don't find that offensive even if I don't agree with that.

Don't say 70% of Americans talk like Heey sewn cha betteh git ma moonshine cuz imbginnin to feel mah ligz ag'in.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Bassilo, how many Americans do you know? I've lived in America nearly all my life, and I've never met a single person who talks like that.
- That's one of my own!
I apologize for america.

lets get back to the topic.

Im an American communist supporter, so there goes any stereotype
Member of UG's Keyboardists club. PM 4string-tsurigi to join.

Jimbo Wallace of the Godlike, Archaic, But Sexy Instrument Players. PM me to join.
Quote by Junkstuff1
A wall socket (at least in the US) will only kill you if you jab electrodes from them into your body with your heart in between. Well, maybe not only then, but you'd have to jab the electrodes into your body regardless. Unless you're very unlucky.

http://www.dansdata.com/gz013.htm

But yeah, you really shouldn't be able to feel 9 volts or 18 volts if your skin isn't soaking wet (like your tongue is). Try holding your tongue out a while until a good portion of it is pretty dry. Then put a 9v on. Take note of what you feel. Then get your tongue nice and wet, and try again. Yeah, it depends a lot on how wet it is.

ok mabe i exagerated a little. just stressing the point that even tho its a bass guitar or w/e if its attached to a wall socket it can harm you if its not in proper order. my bass amp has a huge yellow tag right on the end with warnings and all that.
^Stalins type communism was pretty ****ty man. But true Marx style communism, as it was initially carried out by Lenin, is a pretty good idea.

As for the amp, is it tube/does it have a tube preamp? Bad filter caps in your amp? that could easily send a couple hundred volts through your bass...bad...
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by Bassilo
And do you guys believe that 80%+ of Russians are strong communist supporters sippin' on vodka bottle everywhere they go?

I don't. But if your point is that stereotypes are "fun" or something to that effect, then I'll agree with you there.

Jack T. Ripper: "Mandrake! Have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water? Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water? On no account will a Commie ever drink water, and not without good reason."

Pink Queen: Good thinking. There are still probably a bunch of other possibilities, though, so the threadstarter should still get his bass checked out. And if the capacitors are doing that much through his bass, I'd be a little worried about what they'd do when somebody untrained in electronics grabs one to take it out.
- That's one of my own!
Last edited by Junkstuff1 at May 7, 2006,
Quote by Bassilo
And do you guys believe that 80%+ of Russians are strong communist supporters sippin' on vodka bottle everywhere they go?

no. I believe that they drink vodka more than most countries, yes. I don't believe that 80%+ drink it everywhere they go.

And even if I did, I'm not enough of an ass to make a comment about it for absolutely no reason. Especially on a site that's based off of Russia.

Back to topic with you. I've never had any sort of electrocuting problems, and I'm very glad. But I did get a shock from touching my guitarist once but I think that was some static **** and not his guitar being busted. I dont know enough about electronics, I'd just have some guy check it out (hopefully for free) and then see how much it'd cost to genuinely fix.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
What was said about the 9v to the tongue although it isn't enough to significntly harm you now it can have after effects in your later years. It is bad for your heart and basically all parts of your body because the body runs on tiny amounts of electricity. It is like adding 9 volts to a 120v tube amp, although you cannot see anything taking effect it is slowly harming you.
PM me with talkbox questions.

A study shows that 92% of all teenagers have moved on to rap music. Put this in your profile if you are one of the 8% who stayed with the real music
I'm not sure I agree with you about that, heiltalker - I'd have to learn more about it. But I do think that the way most people live their lives, touching a 9v to your tongue once in awhile is a drop in the ocean of...uh...detrimental behaviors.
- That's one of my own!
Quote by Junkstuff1
I don't. But if your point is that stereotypes are "fun" or something to that effect, then I'll agree with you there.

Jack T. Ripper: "Mandrake! Have you ever seen a commie drink a glass of water? Vodka, that's what they drink, isn't it? Never water? On no account will a Commie ever drink water, and not without good reason."

Buahahahahaha, man,

But for real, though... THousands of people in the us walk around with Crystal Geyser (or whatever that most popular brand was) bottles. In Russia, it's gonna be either juice, soft drink, beer, low-alcohol coctail or tea, but never water

got me thinkin now